Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Dropped my Iphone – screen cracked
  • justa
    Free Member

Gutted – dropped my Iphone and the screen has cracked 🙁

It still works though – is there anything I can do other than claim on house insurance ?

thanks

loddrik
    Free Member

I drove over mine and completely shattered the screen. Sent it back to apple to get fixed. Cost me £145 but they sent me a brand new phone.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Hang on, I'll see if there's an app for that.

brakes
    Free Member

this happens to everyone
    you should have bought a Mac

zokes
    Free Member

justa
    Free Member

*wonders why he bothered*

Tossers

jam-bo

Surely it'll polish out….

Alternatively there are plenty of companies out there that'll fix it, or sell you the parts to fix it yourself if your happy with taking it to pieces.

theflatboy
    Free Member

justa – Member

Tossers

bit precious after only 5 mins of replies, the first of which was pretty useful 😆

zokes
    Free Member

Sorry, but the smugness exuded by most apple users only breeds schadenfreude in some of us I'm afraid. Perhaps I could have been more tactful though… 😳

loddrik
    Free Member

I cannot stand apple and all the shite that surrounds them. So it pains me to admit that at upgrade time I got another one, nothing can touch it for what I want. Depressing but true.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything you can do, 'cept speak to apple and they'll fix it for a fee, or if you're on contract you can take out "emergency insurance" and they'll fix it for less than the price of the phone.

I've been luck, dropped mine twice but it's landed well!

simon_g

As said, Apple will give you a refurbished (which from the ones I've seen, are good as new) replacement for £145. If you can get to an Apple Store they'll swap it straight over for you.

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

Which, for the Apple-haters, is far more generous than any other handset manufacturers I know of. And probably less than the excess on your home insurance, let alone the added premium next year (and the year after, and the year after that..).

simon_g

Or, if you're 100% sure the drop didn't damage anything other than the screen glass and you're handy with very small screwdrivers, you can buy replacement screen glass / digitizers on ebay for about £30.

justa
    Free Member

thanks very much for the helpful comments – i know its only a phone and some of the recent threads on here put things into perspective but I'm gutted

simong – i'll look into that

cynic-al
    Free Member

justa – Member
    Tossers

nothing changes eh? Lol

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

should have splashed out another £20 ish for a silicon rubber case i got one for my daughter…….shes dropped it many many times its still OK.. as without the cover they are very smooth & slimmy to hold… 😕

loddrik
    Free Member

Just bought an otterbox for mine. Best phone related eight quid I have spent.

WTF
    Free Member

monkeychild
    Free Member

Otterbox case ftw. If only for the comical name.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a cheap silicon case for my iPod touch. The screen cracked when I dropped it.

justa
    Free Member

It was wearing an Otterbox – still broke though

djflexure

Updated my iphone, new contract etc – took it Kayaking. Declined offers of waterproof bag to hold it for trip. Took a swim – phone totally @£%$£^. Thought bugger. Went into Apple shop and they replaced it for £100. I considered this a result. No insurance.

justa
    Free Member

they want £146 to replace it – which yes still isnt bad

Waderider
    Free Member

I'll cause a ruckus and type when I see the words "replacement iphone" and the amount "£145" the only thing filling my mind is " a fool and their money is easily parted".

Maybe I'm out of touch with the world, as I run hand me down phones…….

amaan
    Free Member

If it's just the outer screen digitizer a replacement will be £10/15 for the part(ebay) depending on version(3G/3GS) but it's a bit tricky to replace, check out the tutorials on youtube.

or alternatively, you can buy a complete front assembly for £50/60(even cheaper from China), these are quite easy/less tricky to replace, clicking in the screen cable and proximity sensor is the tricky bit, again have a look on youtube to see how it's done.

rOcKeTdOg

easy, take out accidental phone insurance, Orange charge £6 a month. leave it a couple of weeks then claim, they'll fix or replace it* certainly works on nokias that you drop and crack the screen of…..so i've heard 😉

*this is illegal though of course 😯

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

on the UK KTM forum there's a guy that fixes screens for £30 or so.

allthepies
    Free Member

Perfect excuse to get one of the new bling iphone HD models when they appear later in the summer. Should be announced early June with shipping hopefully not too long after.

spock
    Free Member

easy to fix by yourself with bits of ebay, loads of youtube vids show you how

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Dropped my Iphone – screen cracked’ is closed to new replies.