Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Driving to Manchester Airport
  • northshoreniall

Evening all, need fly out of Manchester Airport tomorrow 11:00 coming from Newcastle – train or drive?
    Will it be mental trying get there for about 8:00 or do we spend the extra and get train to airport? Google says 160 miles so 3hrs ish or train about same but probably double cost.
    Thanks, Niall

Harry_the_Spider

The M62 / M60 will be horrific. You will get in the queue somewhere near the Yorkshire border (I’m not kidding).

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Allow another hour at least. Lots of bells ends on The M60. I’m sure you’d rather have time to kill than kill for more time.

Edit.
    In fact, I’d be going tonight and getting a hotel that includes parking for your holiday duration..

northshoreniall

Train it is, thanks guys. Suspected be evil but thought would check.

MartynS

Train… As HTS says the queue will almost certainly start at Rishworth Moor on the m62

Getting round to the airport will be hugely horrid as well the M60-M56 junction will also be terrible

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We’ve gone from Boroughbridge to fly at 06.00 & still had problems on the M62! There’s ALWAYS some bloody hold up or diversion. It must be the shittest motorway in the UK.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Rishworth Moor? Make that Hartshead Moor…
    I’m so glad I don’t have to use the m62 any more.

Back to Manchester Airport. I now book into a premier inn at Runger Lane for the night before any flights from there. Ok you “lose” a day of holiday but the lack of stress certainly makes up for it

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yep traffic all around the area is awful at that time, so many road works on the M6, M62, M60 and M56!!!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Won’t flying at 8 mean you are early enough to avoid the worst of the traffic? I once drove there, I think for a 9:30ish flight…now that was stressful. Did make it, but was grateful for the extra hour I’d given myself! It’s a horrible drive approaching from the north.

Night before and a hotel is well worth considering too, especially if you can get work to pay.

chestrockwell

Why would you go m62 from Newcastle? Surely cross country to the lakes then down the m6?

If not, ripon, Skipton, burnley, Manchester, then ring road avoiding the Trafford side is better than m62? Never get that held up when coming that way from Skipton. Not brilliant but not horrendous.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Morning on the m6 was never that fun either. Train drops you in the terminal with an undercover walk to the plane, you can also have a beer on the way home and not worry about driving.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

We flew out from Manchester at 1015 and set off from my mums in Bolton at 5 we got there at 0630 so a hour and a half to do 17 miles. The m60 is dreadful. I’d get the train.

Russell96

If you are driving sort out your parking, T3 multi story has the top floor shut along with part of the 4th so it’ll get busy during the week. Planning to arrive for 8 with a 5 start you are going to hit all the cruddy spots at the perfect horrible time. go earlier or train..

northshoreniall

Thanks for all advice, have decided best go by train as less chance of me having a stroke with stress 🙂
    Flying at 11:00 so ideally want be there 8ish so can check in and chill, all very last minute and stressy. Best get to bed suppose. Thanks all.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mate of mine works right next to Manc Airport and travels there from north Bradford everyday on the M62. He leaves 5:30am and says it very rarely takes him more than 1hr

northshoreniall

On train now, and it’s running late 🙂
    Thankfully only by 12 minutes.

northshoreniall

On train now, and it’s running late 🙂
    Thankfully only by 12 minutes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We must know, did it arrive?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Driving to Manchester Airport’ is closed to new replies.