Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Driving in France – much difference weekend / weekday?
  • MrBlond
    Free Member

Driving down to Bordeaux in a couple of weeks, can travel Friday or Sunday – make any difference?

I know that in general drving in France is pure joy compared to over here, but it's a while since I last did a long trip.

Any other tips on driving down the west coast of France gratefully received.

ciron
    Free Member

I believe HGV's aren't allowed on the roads at certain times. I think it might apply to Saturdays and Sunday, but I can't remember.

Duc
    Free Member

Loads quieter on SUndays as no trucks but that also means some of the services aren't open – fine if you know what your fuel range is like – a long walk if not

MrBlond
    Free Member

Yeah, I learnt my lesson re. stuff being shut on Sundays the first time I drove down to the Alps :-/

Cougar

Toll roads are common, carry a handful of loose change.

Aren't you legally obliged to carry a red warning triangle in France? Can't remember now.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Triangle, spare bulbs for all lights and a high viz jacket for all in the car, the hi-viz must be getatable without getting out the car.

change or cc for tolls and it is an urban myth about prosecutions for speeding between toll stations (although no doubt some one will be along ina minute with a a story about their cousin's brother's friend who knew someone that got done)

br
    Free Member

Toll roads are common, carry a handful of loose change.

A serious handful, normally I reckon on the tolls been about the same price as the fuel used…

But I always use a credit card.

alexxx
    Free Member

you'd be wrong br, its about £65 each way

juan
    Free Member

red triangle one hi-viz jacket per people. I would avoid week ned like plague if I were you.
    Have a look at bison futé for more info

dirtyrider
    Free Member

tolls to bordeaux are about 50 euros

never found a closed service station, at anytime of the week

tron
    Free Member

In two weeks, it'll be August. All of France will be on Holiday. No traffic problems at all for me when we drove around. Motorways are far far less congested than UK.

Take a warning triangle, your hi-vis jackets (inside the car where you can reach them!) and a set of bulbs (not specifically required by law, but the police won't let you carry on if you have a blown bulb, so you need em). I also have a fire extinquisher just on the off chance.

My top tips would be to avoid Vannes (it's a dump), and to make sure your car's up to travelling long distances (tyres) and getting stuck on the M25 (radiator, water pump and fan). I saw more breakdowns on the motorway around Dover than I'd see in a month of normal motorway driving.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Juan, care to expand on avoiding the weekend like the plague?

doug_basqueMTB.com

The weekends will be busy for the next 4 weeks. That's everyone on hol's and trying to get somewhere nice in France – i.e. the Atlantic coast 😉

Lorries aren't allowed on some roads at the weekends but it'll be more than made up for by the hoards of french people trying to force their way to the coast. Also the main trunk roads from Paris – Morocco will be full of Africans with their entire possessions tied on top of their cars driving 24hrs a day to get home for their holidays. Really watch out for them, they are lethal. Anyone who has seen this phenomenon will know what I mean!

rusky
    Free Member

Spare bulbs, warning triangle, 1st aid kit, hi-viz vest for everyone in the car. Fire extinguisher if you venture into Belgium.

IIRC "you must be in a position to replace any exterior bulb at the roadside" Which, IME is a load of bollox & may have been rewritten by now. At least I hope so as I never carry any bulbs!

saladdodger
    Free Member

We are driving down france from Roscoff to near Angoleme on friday 30th roads are forever quiet and tolls are about 40 euros for us . 10hrs of driving bliss

As for the hi viz etc what the hell rules is "rules when in rome" etc

Is it not the start of the national holidays that weekend??

Which ports are you using???

br
    Free Member

you'd be wrong br, its about £65 each way

Obviously you are richer than me mate, I wouldn't refer to £130 as 'loose change'.

And just over 430 miles from Calais to Bordeaux, so for most it is about the same as the fuel?

saladdodger
    Free Member

yea true not it is more than "loose change" but for me it is worth the 40€ each way just for the ease of travelling with the 400 mile run I do

joeegg
    Free Member

Travelled down from Calais to Bordeaux a couple of weeks back.
    The only non autoroute section was through Rouen,which was dual carriageway anyway.A new autoroute links Rouen to Le Mans which now makes it easier but the toll is quite steep.The last section down to Bordeaux is toll free.Easy drive,just boring.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Thanks joeegg – how long did that take you?

Any recommendations on places to stop?

mugsys_m8

http://www.mappy.fr will let you work out toll costs etc. saturday is change over day, and certain peages can cause huge tailbacks.

finishthat
    Free Member

Avoid Saturdays in August changeover day , serious jams . queues at tolls,
    Petrol stations etc.

Look here for info http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/diri/Accueil.do?langue=en

It does depend on where you are going , but routes to/from the south/Paris
    tend to be worst, + any route the north east of Europe could use to get across France.

MrBlond
    Free Member
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Driving in France – much difference weekend / weekday?’ is closed to new replies.