Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • drilling into wires..
  • meehaja
    Free Member

despite buying a fancy electrical current detecting thingumy, today I drilled through a live wire, which was shocking! Anyway, now I’ve got a hole in my kitchen wall with an exposed wire in it, so, what do I do about that? Do i need to rip all the plaster out and run a new through, or do I just push some sillicone into the hole and forget about it?

(please bear in mind I’m tight, and like a good bodge..)

Cheers all knowing singletrackers!

theotherjonv

I don’t think you can just leave it. Does it not short out and trip the fusebox?

When i did this, I cut the wire back and moved the socket it was feeding, which was at floor level, to a counter top one (or rather, I paid a sparky to do that). Apparently it was just a spur rather than part of a ring which meant he could do that

matthewjb
    Free Member

I think if you leave it the fuses will keep tripping.

Replacement sounds the best option.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just hammer in the rawlplug, and drive the screw in ffs.

All this namby-pamby “health and safety” malarkey is killing DIY .
    I’m telling you.

Flaperon

If it’s part of the ring main then it’ll need sorting. For the time being, unless you can ascertain that the ring isn’t damaged I’d limit the load on any other sockets connected to it.

If you’re really lazy and it’s a spur, then you could cut it a convenient point and remove the socket it connects to, but bearing in mind it’s a kitchen you’re going to have to pay for an electrician anyway.

jester
    Free Member

Iff your tight then why did you buy a ‘fancy electrical current detecting thingumy’ anyway.
    Just drill away secure in the knowledge that all wires should run vertically or horizontally from the socket or switch! Ha!

Can’t you sue the makers of the thingy or do you have to die first?

Don’t just leave it, with your luck you’ll probably burn the house down!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

all wires should run vertically or horizontally

Except for the ones which run diagonally.

Stoner
    Free Member

all wires should run vertically or horizontally

Except for the ones which run diagonally.

indeed – check out this old chase – it runs parallel to the stiar angle almost! 🙂

as above, if spur, id either relocate the socket it supplies or terminate in a recessed box with blanking plate at ceiling height if the supply comes from above. It may mean ripping out a load of metal shroud as well as plaster though…If a ring, then call in the sparky.

Whatsit
    Free Member

Through crimps and a bit of tape :O)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Wedge a business card between the two bits of wire to stop them shorting out then fill the hole with ‘No more Nails’ and smooth over with toothpaste mixed with polly filler to get a clean smooth finish.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘drilling into wires..’ is closed to new replies.