Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Drill bits …what make is half decent at a reasonable price ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

fed up with using rubbish bits that only last one drilling ..particularly when metals are involved (you know B&Q box set type stuff)
    can anyone recommend any that are good value without breaking the bank ?
    thanks in advance
    Bill

toppers3933
    Free Member

rawl, bosch, dewalt have always done me proud. by cheap, buy twice ime.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve been impressed by DeWalt for general stuff/fixing and modifying my Landy – expensive to buy, but much cheaper than cheap drill bits.

cheez0
    Free Member

Metal?
    Use coolant/oil and slow speed if doing by handdrill.
    Cut the metal, dont rub, thats the way you destroy drills.
    Good drills for metal include Dormer or Titex

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

HSS bits is the one thing amongst my tools which I never bother spending proper money on. Even if you buy expensive/decent ones they will get blunt/broken/lost. I just keep renewing them with whatever special deal there are on drill sets…..Irwin, Bosch, etc. And I buy over the counter one-off replacements in-between buying drill sets. Mind you most of my drilling is in wood rather than metal so sharpness/bluntness isn’t quite so critical.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

For wood, dewalt and bosch spade bits are good, the dewalt ones can be used in an impact driver. Dewalt brad points are very good.
    Irwin blue groove are excellent too.

I only use dewalt for masonry now, cordless and sds. Use bosch multi construction bits for fitting windows and doors though. Tried heller, their pretty good too.

Porsadrill for ceramics, granite, porcalain etc

Don’t use many hss bits, so tend to buy very cheap ones for pennies each and bin them. Don’t rate the dewalt ones though given the price difference, seem to blunt very quickly

colande
    Free Member

i’d agree with ernie_lynch regarding buying and also the advice by cheez0,
    use a bit of oil and go slow,

jemima
    Free Member

I hate cheap poor quality drill bits. Dormer seem to cut well and last pretty well.

Having said that I’ve still working through some Black and Decker ‘proline’ (or something like that) bits. They were on sale in Tescos for a pound a box 7/8 years ago and I bought heaps! They’re fine too.

bighendo
    Free Member

so, you need a harder drill bit then!!
    lookout for HSS-CO bits, they have 5% cobalt content,
    and avoid overheating by using coolant/water

Sonor
    Free Member

I use Guhring drill bits, a bit expensive, a 12.5mm hss just cost me £12.50.

And I use Ambersil Tufcut for lubrication when drilling metal.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Beal uk supply drill bit sets and boxes of commonly used sizes. You’d be hard pressed to find them cheaper. Quality always good from them.

http://www.beal.org.uk/drill-bits-abrasives/cat_42.html

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

+1 for bighendo’s suggestion of Cobalt/HSS drill bits……they do make a significant difference imo.

spooky_b329

I hate being robbed in B&Q for hss bits. Surprisingly, the sets sold by Lidl seem to last longer, the plus side is it doesn’t feel like you are throwing pound coins in the bin each time you snap or blunt one.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

On site we use Bosch or Hilti SDS bits and Alpen HSS bits. Always seem to work well.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Dormer or Guhring are good but not cheap. They are made for the engineering market rather than DIY. Use coolant when drilling metal and keep speeds reasonably low Learn how to sharpen one properly too.
    Worth looking at RS too as their own brand are reasonable.

uplink
    Free Member

We always used Presto HSS twist bits when I used to get dirty for a living
    They seemed to do a reasonable job

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Drill bits …what make is half decent at a reasonable price ?’ is closed to new replies.