Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Dream job, but away from family or good job….
  • chiefgrooveguru

Good luck with the new job – 300 miles isn’t far! Is your wife moving with you? I have a friend who’s an engineer at Airbus doing FEA stuff, also in the Bristol area. Bristol is nice, I did engineering at Uni there.

IainGillam
    Free Member

uplink – Member
    As most have said – family needs to come first or you stand a good chance of regretting too much

Also – what do you mean by dream job? Something you love doing or simply good pay and conditions?
    If it’s the former, I’d be wary & think it through
    I was in a similar situation 30 years ago when I was offered a job as a race mechanic for the factory Yamaha team, it would have meant moving to Holland but it was everything I loved
    I turned it down in the end as I didn’t want to lose my love of motorcycle racing.

POSTED 6 MONTHS AGO # REPORT-POST

Was the factory Yamaha team a motocross team (Rinaldi Yamaha?) Most of the teams are based around the Holland Belgium area hence the guess. If so WOW.

Iain

deep_river
    Free Member

Stay with the family.

I was offered a v wellpayed job as a systems engineer, which meant that I would be away from home mon to fri. I took this job a few years ago, as it was going to help my familys bank balance.

Since then I have had a son who is now 2, the trouble is is that we have got used to the big wage I get, and cant afford to take a drop down. This means that I am a weekend dad and I hate it, its painfull sometimes.

I live in Ludlow in sleepy south shropshire, and it is not exactly the military comms centre of the world., but I am stuck with my job, as we just cant afford to take a 50- 60 % drop in salary or we would be out of a home. But as a consequence Im missing my son growing up, This is hard.

My advice is that if you are going to take a well paid job away from home, dont get used to the extra money!

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Dream job, but away from family or good job….’ is closed to new replies.