• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by wl.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • double chainsets…
  • hilldodger
    Free Member

…anything else worth considering other than an slx ?
    It's for a new 'common sense' build so middleburn may be a bit too rich.

And is there any advantage to buying a 'specific' double over a triple and losing the roadie ring…..

clubber
    Free Member

It really depends whether you really need a bashring or not. If not (and most don't really) then just use a normal chainset. Works for me – it's worth fitting a double specific front mech though I found.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Don't 'need' a bashguard except for added radness 😉
    but thought the slx double was in some way different to the triple – have to go and check, my LBS (Evans!!) doesn't have the doubles and didn't know anything about them……

poppa
    Free Member

I think the double has steel pedal thread inserts but the triple doesnt.

Mister-P
    Free Member

You are correct Poppa. The double SLX is 22/36 where as if you bought a triple and removed the outer you would be left with with 22/32 which may leave you spinning out at times.

hilldodger
    Free Member

The double SLX is 22/36 where as if you bought a triple and removed the outer you would be left with with 22/32 which may leave you spinning out at times

Aaah, good point – may as well go for the double then as 22/32 would be too spinny for me…..

wl
    Free Member

Double has pedal inserts – great defence against wrecked threads and written off cranks if you smash your pedals. I run this crankset on both my bikes – very satisfied, especially for £89.99.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘double chainsets…’ is closed to new replies.