• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Double Cab – which one, or which one to avoid
  • br
    Free Member

Looking at getting a Double Cab, and yes, I understand all their weaknesses so just looking for advice of which one.

I’m renovating a big old place and have had the use of my wife’s horsebox lorry for shifting stuff etc, but this has now been sold. I also had a AWD car over the last year and due to the weather and where we live (rural Scotland) it would have been a PITA without it plus my son would’ve missed a lot of school days.

So, looking at a 4×4 Double Cab as a do-it-all vehicle – shifting stuff, rural school run and general bike duties. We have another ‘better’ car for those occasions when it’s needed.

I don’t want to spend a lot, in fact less than £4k would be very handy, but I’d like the STW view on which is best/better etc.

I quite like the look of the L200 Warriors, but happy to be steered towards something that is better to drive/maintain etc. Bike wise, it’ll either be under the cover or hanging over the tailgate.

Thoughts?

darbeze
    Free Member

Hilux… Simple answer…

trail_rat
    Free Member

none of the popular ones at less than 4k – that includes navara/hilux/l200 – youll be bottom feeding at that price.

Look at Isuzu Tf. – yes basic inside(and out) but thats why its rugged and not so popular.

trail_rat
    Free Member

and since you dont mention towing

the smart money would be on a diesel version of this – or the berlingo version.

and if you get that stuck in the snow , your 4×4 pick up would have been stuck long ago 😉

br
    Free Member

Yep, need to tow as well – loaded horsebox, so 2-2.5t.

Money-wise, I just hate having money tied up in a vehicle.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Get yourself a Tdi Discovery and an Ifor Williams trailer. No compromises either way. You should be able to find a very good example of both for well within £4k.

If you have the space to store the trailer it’s the best of both worlds. I used to run a pick up, used it for everything, but a trailer is so much more versatile. The Discovery is cheap to run and maintain, it’s easily more practical and comfortable than a Defender. Mine looks rough but I can happily park it outside an Aristo’s pile and no one bats an eyelid.

br
    Free Member

Disco?

tbh We’ve already one Land Rover in the family and I hate towing/maneuvering big trailers (did 400 miles on Tuesday towing a horsebox…)

I’ll take a look at the Isuzu.

Sorry trail_rat, but I can’t see whatever it is you are showing?

br
    Free Member

Oh, forgot to add – my wife is happy for me to get one, so may as well while the going is ‘good’ 🙂

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Trail Rat was suggesting a Kangoo 4×4, but it won’t cope with the towing. I have a 2wd Berlingo, and with proper winter tyres (£50 per corner ish) it is as good as unstoppable in the snow. I don’t think 4wd would help much as it is clearance that ultimately ends up the issue. Mine is raised, and can cope with 30cm of fresh snow no problem, and can plough through windscreen deep drifts given appropriate condidtions/precautions.

Proper winter tyres for a big 4×4 are going to cost quite a bit.

trevron73
    Free Member

I would look at a Ford Ranger or Hilux 03 to 05. We have a ’86 L200 mitsu a fore runner to the animal on 280,000km .an 2001 Izuzu on 138,000km and a Hilux 2009 40,000km the mitsu and Izuzu are work horses , i fancy a Ranger (cheap) i never have hankered for fords except the spicy American ones and all there pick ups (not cars)i used to drive a 03 Hilux and it was very quick scary when empty .Younger Hilux are very pricy shame as they are very car like and lovely to drive .

trail_rat
    Free Member

troutwrestler – talk to me about raising the blingo – like you my issue is ground clearance – thing is unstoppable otherwise.

and yes – tirescost alot for big ass 4×4 tires …. my frontera(our second “winter” car we use for similar to the OP) , unless it passes its mot with flying colours and no advisorys (unlikely) will be scrapped since it needs 4 new tires that are going to cost me in the region of 600 quid even for remoulds….. but then it was a 1000 pound car and its done me proud this winter.

Rangers are cheap – because prior to them fitting allison transmission (newest shape only) the gear boxes were absolute garbage and are horrendous at towing – ie the towing element stresses the box to death.

piemonster

Mcmoonter, quite impressed you can tow a train with that Disco.

burko73

ive just been through the same dilemma looking for a £4K double cab 4×4. All my research based on reliability and price etc came to a ford ranger 2003 – 2006 model a mk II.

cheaper than hilux, less major issues than l200 of the same age, stay away from navarra d22 as they mostly suffer major engine damage.

we use ford rangers as our fleet 4×4’s and I spoke to our fleet workshop supervisor and he said that period of vehicles they just didnt have any problems with. the post 06 model can suffer from clutch issues if offroaded/ towing a lot as they are higher geared but better fuel consumption).

dont underestimate how bad the fuel consumption is on a double cab. even really moder efficent ones struggle with keeping to mid 30s mpg.

i paid 3.5K for a 72 K FSH ranger with alloys and chintzy side bars air con and a canopy. it’s been good so far…

burko73

“Rangers are cheap – because prior to them fitting allison transmission (newest shape only) the gear boxes were absolute garbage and are horrendous at towing – ie the towing element stresses the box to death”

the 06 on rangers are not good towing. 03 – 06 are fine as lower geared. we have had loads on our fleet and a lot of them tow a lot of big trailers or go off road frequently and very few clutch/ box problems until 2006 mk III

burko73

Rangers are chea as they look a bit naff compared to hilux/ l200 etc mine looks a bit iffy but goes well and was cheap

5thElefant
    Free Member

Isuzu are popular with welsh farmers. Class leading mpg, most refined ride (still a truck though) and the base model is the same as the shiny-bits model so you don’t have to look like a prat.

br
    Free Member

dont underestimate how bad the fuel consumption is on a double cab. even really moder efficent ones struggle with keeping to mid 30s mpg.

I wasn’t. And that is better than most of my cars in the last 20 years 🙂

Ok, so a Ranger looks like the one to look at – but is it worth paying a bit extra for the 2007/57 new model?

Also quite interesting how for such a popular vehicle they’ve so many faults – or is it just bad/poor maintenance?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Double Cab – which one, or which one to avoid’ is closed to new replies.