Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Double Bagging
  • mechanicaldope

Not entirely sure what’s going on but I can’t get a decent strength cuppa out of PG Tips anymore without chucking a couple of bags in my mug. Never used to be a problem. I know PG isn’t exactly top drawer but has always been fine for day to day. Another thing to blame on Brexit?

ste_t
    Free Member

This isn’t what I thought it was going to be……

I don’t like tea so can’t contribute I’m afraid

Drac

Teabagging is just not the same anymore.

mechanicaldope

It’s certainly not twice the fun

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sainsbos caffeine free tea bags = 3 cups of tea here! 😁

Cougar

Leave it in for longer.

The opposite advice applies to the other form of double-bagging.

ross980
    Free Member

Swap to Yorkshire Tea, job done.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mebbies you are just expecting a similar “coffee’esk” hit of flavour..

Tea, by nature, is mellow.

Let it stew longer IMO

mechanicaldope

Leave it in for longer.

Doesn’t help. It just gets cold.

Incidentally, I accidentally googled “Leave it in for longer” while copying it to quote and the first result was for something to do with Maternity leave! Lolz

mechanicaldope

Mebbies you are just expecting a similar “coffee’esk” hit of flavour..

Tea, by nature, is mellow.

Don’t think so. The colour is all shitty as well. Not a nice golden colour any more. Maybe since they made their tea bags biodegradable?

mechanicaldope

Swap to Yorkshire Tea, job done.

I tend to alternate between that and PG depending on what is on offer. Unfortunately due to #brexitstockpile I have several hundred PG which need to be consumed.

myti
    Free Member

Use m and s extra strong tea leaves in a tea ball thingy. I tsp puts hairs on your chest.

jeffl

Wife loves a good strong brew. Has to double bag Yorkshire tea. She recommends the Sainsbury’s gold label tea bags to avoid a double bagging.

simondbarnes

PG Tips? I see where you went wrong there.

mooman
    Free Member

PG Tips is pretty weak … Typhoo FTW

RESULTS HERE

RustySpanner

Yup. PG Tips is weak and Yorkshire Tea tastes of soap.

Typhoo is where it’s at, strong enough to fill even a Pete’s Eats mug full of flavour.

Drac

Not a nice golden colour any more

Golden? Tea should be the same shade as He-man.

mechanicaldope

Rip Lester. Still makes me sad. Still, if ever there was someone who’s opinion I would trust its his.

mechanicaldope

A quick Google shows he-man looking everywhere between donold trump and a scotsman so that doesn’t really help

Drac

whitestone
    Free Member

@drac – that’s not tea, that’s mud!

spacemonkey

I’ve resorted to double-bagging for the last 2-3 years due to the water darn sarf being so shit. And I leave the bags in the whole time – no removing whatsoever until the brew has been downed.

Up in the northwest I’ll happily settle for a single bag but absolutely no chance back home – that’d be like making a cup of hot milk.

DJ Miles FTW

Drac

that’s not tea, that’s mud!

Don’t make me ban you.

whitestone
    Free Member

Don’t make me ban you.

Adding milk to tea – heathens! Heathens the lot of you!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Ban him, that tea looks perfect.

Oggles
    Free Member

Are they from a standard retail box, or catering pack (which have less tea per bag)?

mechanicaldope

Standard retail but wouldn’t be supprised if they did crap versions for the special offers in tesco/asda etc

sargey

I’ve lived in Yorkshire, rode around Yorkshire, ran around Yorkshire, got pissed around Yorkshire but still have never seen a tea plantation in Yorkshire!

Cletus

I once bought some “Cornish Tea” teabags from Morrisons and they were the weakest ever. Is tea strength proportional to “Northerness” and, if so, does it get reset at the Scottish border??

sadmadalan

What’s this making tea in a mug business? Real teas is made in a pot and then poured. Use loose leaf tea as well. Tea bags – bah!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You’re not one of these who puts the milk in, then the tea bag then the hot water are you? If so there is no hope.

1. Pre heat your mug with water from the freshly boiled kettle.
    2. re-boil the kettle.
    3. in one swift manoeuvre, empty the mug, toss in the tea bag and pour the boiling water in while its still bubbling as soon after the kettle switch has clicked off
    4. let it brew a while
    5. don’t squeeze the bag, remove, let it drain then discard
    6. add milk or whatever to taste

Oh yeah, PG tips not great. Twinings every day or Yorkshire Tea. Life is too short for loose leaf…save that for retirement.

andy4d

If you want a decent/strong cuppa just get Barrys tea, job done. The Irish know a thing or two about tea, just ask Mrs Doyle.

mechanicaldope

You’re not one of these who puts the milk in,

You – outside, NOW!

I have been called a great many things in my life but never has anyone accused me of being someone who puts the milk in first. I feel dirty now.

mechanicaldope

just ask Mrs Doyle.

Ah, go on…

mechanicaldope

And maybe a little cake. It’s got cocaine in it…

cinnamon_girl

Another vote for proper loose leaf tea.

Cougar

that’s not tea, that’s mud!

Looks a bit weak to me.

@wobbliscott
    I was right with you until the last sentence, where you blew all your prior credibility.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Cup of brown joy…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t think so. The colour is all shitty as well. Not a nice golden colour any more. Maybe since they made their tea bags biodegradable?

That’s a good point, I bought some Waitrose own branded tea a week ago and that too has brown’ish bags now..

Can’t remember the last time I drank PG (knowingly)  so maybe you’ll just have to DB em’ until they run out.

Yorkshire Tea does taste like soap 👍 I mentioned this last year to the wife who said “you hate everything about Yorkshire don’t you?” I don’t actually, but their Tea does indeed taste like soap.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

warm up the cup or pot before the bag goes in helps. On with cosey and leave.
    OH likes a hybrid breakfast and earl grey in the afternoon. Makes a nice change.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Double Bagging’ is closed to new replies.