Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 234 total)
  • DON’T PANIC!!!
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

Didn’t get it on my phone, my girlfriend did. Didn’t hear the voice that some people seem to be referring to though?

Oh well, on with the day.

rugbydick

Only one in three phones went off here. Anyone else not get it?

You’re the lucky one. The other 2 must be sent off for ritual sacrifice to our new lizard overlords.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

It does work on wifi calling but obviously wont work if you have no cell phone signal. Mine was 60 seconds early,

jam-bo

One iphone on o2 went off at 14.59, other iPhone on three hasn’t gone off.

cookeaa

Hmmm, so as an emergency broadcast system it’s a bit limited.

Who do we tell of we didn’t get the test warning?

Bregante

Personal phone went off. Work one didn’t.

My wife’s work one didn’t either (she’s NHS, I’m police). Both on EE.

hightensionline

Went off a minute or two early for me. Story of my life.

andyg1966

15.11 and silence on our 2 phones

mashr

Only the chosen people will survive the coming apocalypse. If your phone didn’t go off, there must be a reason

I’m on my way to the secure location now

maccruiskeen

Who do we tell of we didn’t get the test warning?]

Gobuchul. 🙂

kelvin

Went off on, and could be dismissed from, my watch. That’s quite neat.

mattyfez

Mine didn’t go off, I’d allowed extreme alerts, but not severe alerts, not sure what the criteria is between severe and extreme.

But then I realised I’d disabled location sharing elsewhere in the options, so I guess thats why.

twonks

3 mobiles in the house, all on different networks.

None went off.

I is disappointed 😂

sirromj

I forgot all about it and picked up my phone at 21 minutes past three and it went off. I fully support the actions of my government overlords.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Mine didn’t go off, I’d allowed extreme alerts, but not severe alerts, not sure what the criteria is between severe and extreme.

Aye, I wondered that whilst i was turning them off. Which one’s best? Or worst.

monkeyboyjc

Knew it was coming but (story of my life) came early at 2:59 though so still had a small heart attack….🤣

MoreCashThanDash

Was on the Nottingham ring road when it went off, near QMC. Huge pile ups as vehicles swerved all over the road, a bus of school kids plummeted off Clifton Bridge onto the Trent, and planes bound foe East Mids airport fell out the sky.

rOcKeTdOg

Nothing, I’m clearly off the grid 😎

davros

Didn’t turn it off, didn’t get it. I’d call that a world-beating success.

matt_outandabout

Sat in a cafe, and the table by table turn taking was hilarious over a 5 minute period…

Houns

About 3 phones plus mine went off in the pub. Resulting in one scared dog and a spilt pint

reluctantjumper

At my parent’s house and it took a good 15 minutes for the 5 phones there to eventually make the noise. Strangely they all made different noises, no voices though. The message was in Welsh too so completely pointless as I can’t read it. The English version was just visible starting below the Welsh text but as soon as I tapped the message it disappeared so no way to read it 🤣

thecaptain
    Free Member

Apparently three network has been patchy. Ours worked though, my wife was a minute or two ahead of mine.

Kuco

Both phones went off for me, my own on EE and work on Vodaphone. About a 30-second gap between the two going off.

Pickers

Nothing here either. I guess we’re amongst the minions that don’t need to know of the impending apocalypse.

jam-bo

And this is why we test…

Jamze

Apparently three network has been patchy.

More info here. Assume Smarty would have the same issue.

David Wheatley on Twitter

jamiemcf

Out with the kids. Both our phones went off, hot ok and carried on. Got home and picked up my work phone. Hit ok and got on with life.

Cougar

You’d think they’d have tested it before… er… oh.

Drac

Barely woke me from my night shift sleep, it stopped before i even picked my phone up.

ernielynch

Why the America voice?

Yup, a BBC Shipping Forecast type voice would have been more warmly reassuring imo.

It seems bizarre to use someone with a very strong American accent.

spooky_b329

@mattyfez
    The alert that went out was a severe one. Extreme is worse.

There is an option on my phone to tell the phone to dictate the alert, presumably that’s why some phones talked

mattyfez

It seems bizarre to use someone with a very strong American accent.

As above, It’s still in testing, the accent is just probably whatever was to hand and copywrite free.

Maybe we will get the soothing voice of Joanna Lumlemy in the final version, …or maybe even options… for example Arnie shouting “get to da choppa!”

mattyfez

The alert that went out was a severe one. Extreme is worse.

There is an option on my phone to tell the phone to dictate the alert, presumably that’s why some phones talked

Thanks, yeah I’d assumed ‘extreme’ was the highest level… and also figured out (I think) I’d nerfed the alerts via having location access disabled at a lower level in the android OS.

I’m also on 3 network, but the phone would have been on home WiFi at the time, so wheather that had any bearing on me not getting the alert, I dunno..

ernielynch

About a 30-second gap between the two going off.

I was with a group of ramblers and all the phones that went off went off at exactly the same time. Which was a couple of minutes before 3 o’clock.

jam-bo

and also figured out (I think) I’d nerfed the alerts via having location access disabled at a lower level in the android OS.

they don’t need location access for the phone. Each cell tower is supposed to send it to all devices connected to it.

mattyfez

they don’t need location access for the phone. Each cell tower is supposed to send it to all devices connected to it.

Hmm interesting…

Maybe because I’m on 3 network then, I’ve read some devices on 3 didn’t get the alert.
    That said I’m sure as hell I disabled severe alerts but allowed critical alerts a few days ago, but when I didn’t get any alert, I checked my settings and teh whole emergency alert thing was greyed out for want of a better phrase… both severe and critical…. its now ‘on’ again but I guess I missed the window to actually get an alert.

theotherjonv

I was dropping daughter at Uni and then we went to Tesco’s to get some stuff while I had the car to help carry it.

Seems to me like pretty much everyone got the alert pretty much on 1500, maybe a minute early. No-one panicked or had their civil liberties infringed as far as I could tell.

winston
    Free Member

You couldn’t make this up:

Last weekend I visited my very elderly parents and finally persuaded them to have my old but pretty powerful and high quality bluetooth speaker so the could listen to R3 concerts from my mums phone on iplayer……yes you guessed it – deep in the middle of the Pastoral symphony and whammo its the end of the world as we know it!!!

Not sure they will ever recover*

*this is not true – a swift sherry and all is well

Twodogs

We got ours a few minutes late, then as we crossed the Severn Bridge an hour and a half lster, we got the Welsh version (any Welsh speakers on here have it read out by their phones? I don’t speak Welsh but have learned it in school and can pronounce words, but to my ear it sound completely disjointed..any Welsh speakers comment?)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘DON’T PANIC!!!’ is closed to new replies.