Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dolomites mtb
  • maff11
    Free Member

Hi just a question to see if anyone has ridden in the Dolomites? My mate has a summer job out there and I am looking to go out and see him taking my bike. Is there any good xc or downhill tacks there? We will be staying in the alti badia area

ElShalimo

This should help

sandwicheater

can’t remember any names but spent a few weeks climbing out there and wishes i’d had a bike, really nice.

maff11
    Free Member

Seen that website it does look as if it is all xc and no techy downhill stuff

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

There’s a new american mountainbike magazine called Switchback, I got it in WHSmiths, issue 3 (which I think is the current issue) has an article about riding in the Dolomites… Looks really stunning… From memory I think it suggested there was plenty of riding but perhaps not as much singletrack as you might wish for…

NZCol

I was there for 3 weeks in 2010, stayed in Val Gardena, well just a wee bit outside.
    Riding: Was stupendous, there were detailed maps showing what hiking trails you could use (red/white paint markers) and there is of course the SellaRonda which you can uplift all the major climbs. But frankly anything was fair game according to the guy who owned my accom and was a MTB guide. The Sellaronda itself was a great ride, being sadistic i rode all the climbs which I would not totally recommend !
    Lots of other good things to do like the Via Ferrata and great walking/trail running. Just a stunning place.

maff11
    Free Member

Thanks NZCol were there any downhill sections? how far is it to get around the area?

NZCol

I saw one proper DH track along the way – nothign else really just nice natural singletrack – some technical stuff but I’m a XC mincer and a high poster and managed it all, in lycra. So there you go.
    I vaguely recall being told that they were banning bikes on the hiking trails in 2011 so might be worth checking. I stress i was only in one area – it was funking beautiful though and I would go back in a heartbeat. Sitting on the balcon enjoying a cold beer in the sun watching the Milan Lamborghini owenrs club rumbling past was a particular memory.

Selled
    Free Member

What have the following questions got in common?
    1) does the Dolomties have good mtb’ing?
    2) Does the pope have a balcony?

🙂

The Dolomites are the gem of the Alps wrt mtb’ing! Not sure where you are staying, it’s quite a large area but I can highly reccomend:
    1) Sexton. Do a search on the web for “the Stoneman”, this is the best downs I’ve ridden, amazing single trail that goes on and on and on and on.
    2) The Monte Grappa-starting at Bassano Del Grappa. Use http://www.bikemap.net to check for routes.
    3) Riva Del Garda- this place is full of bikers, simply get there and talk to people.

Enjoy… I am heading there this weekend!

maff11
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses we are staying in alta badia not sure whereabouts everything is from there? What’s the price of bke carriage for the aeroplane?

andytherocketeer

Was looking at this site a while back (plus the Alta Badia WW1 trails link in earlier post):
    http://www.mtb-dolomites.com/eng/dolomiten.htm

Seems to be more tour than gravity. No idea which lifts run, or are bike-friendly.

Stunning scenery. Going back (yet) again for skiing.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Crossed it on a TransAlp a couple of years ago on trails that we researched and made up from the maps. Was very good. Good riding, good scenery, good huts etc. Saying that most of the Alps is good if you just try to explore. Sticking to man-made tracks in the organised trail centres seems a bit like going into the best Michelin restaurant and eating only burgers!

C

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dolomites mtb’ is closed to new replies.