Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dogs on Leads
  • younggeoff

Quite a few dog walkers on the ‘Traffic Free Path’ on the way to work this morning. Not many had their pets on leads and as a result they were wandering all over the place. What’s the law regarding dogs on leads in a public place.

colnagokid

think the term is “kept under control”, so if its a well trained pooch who does what its told, it could be off the lead but still under control

djglover
    Free Member

My dog didn’t like Leeds, he found the locals intimidating and the nightlife didn’t live up to his expectations

peakmonster
    Free Member

jump leads ?
    Riding past unclip boot in the head! Owner or dog works fine!

DezB
    Free Member

I believe this sign means you should have your dog on a lead.
    Its a bit vague though.

Milkie
    Free Member

This may lead to a heated debate! 😆

I don’t walk my dog on a lead very much, but then she won’t leave my side unless I tell her too. I think all owners should have a dog license, and should be made, at the very least, to take the bronze dog citizenship test/award.

Most people think they have a well controlled dog, until they see a well controlled dog & owner.

“Keep dogs on leads” — I don’t have dog’s I only have one, does that mean I don’t need a lead. If I do see a sign like that, I would put the dog on a lead.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t have dog’s I only have one

If you’re gonna be a pedant, get it right!

Milkie
    Free Member

I must be a numpty DezB, because I don’t know what is wrong with that? Oh & I had to look up Pedant! Wot a numpty 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

colnagokid – Member

think the term is “kept under control”, so if its a well trained pooch who does what its told, it could be off the lead but still under control

Yup – if the dog comes when called or ignores the bike its fine. Ideally you ring your bell, the dog owner calls the dog and it goes to the side of the track. It doesn’t always happen like that.

jonb
    Free Member

it’s an apostrophe catastrophe

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

ideally you ring your bell, the dog owner calls the dog and it goes to the side of the track. It doesn’t always happen like that.

Tandem, you’ve just made me notice a flaw in my training. When my dog is out trail-hounding with me, she usually runs ahead of me while I ride on behind. 2 whistles from me alerts her if she takes a wrong turn, while a ring of my bell brings her back to heel.

I’ve just started to wonder what would now happen if she’s out walking with me and a biker comes behind and rings the bell … chances are, she’ll go galoffing over to see the rider when, in fact, it could be someone like you who is petrified of dogs and dog-phobic, and it might be someone who decides to take peakmonster’s nice advice by unclipping and kicking my dog in the head.

Things are never as easy as they seem…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dogs on Leads’ is closed to new replies.