Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • Dogs on beaches – yuck
  • akysurf
    Free Member

As a responsible dog owner I pick up my dogs poo on the beach but thanks for tarnishing us all with the same brush

I’m not convinced you can pick up a pile of urinated sand.

trailmonkey

if you are that worried about contact with urine then surfing in english waters probably isn’t such a good idea.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m not sure why there seems to be an argument here. It’s clear that the dog owners on this forum pick up their dogshit and the non dog owners think dog owners should pick up their dogshit so we are al in agreement aren’t we? Surely the people we should all be uniting against are the non-forum using, dog owners who don’t pick up their dogshit.

uplink
    Free Member

dog owners who don’t pick up their dogshit

or urinated sand 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Urine I’m less worried about, it’s not very nice but it is at least generally sterile

jam-bo

don’t to the beach when it’s raining then, a lot of pumping stations get overloaded and discharge raw sewage…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

don’t to the beach when it’s raining then, you’ll get rained on

andyl
    Free Member

I’m not convinced you can pick up a pile of urinated sand.

**** me sideways! I’m convinced about one thing and it’s nothing to do with dog poo. Who mentioned picking up urinated sand?

I admit that I cringe at the thought of someone stepping in sand that my dog has just wee’d on. That is why I really don’t mind the dog ban during the height of the season. It also saves people from irresponsible dog owners.

But:

1. Have you seen how quickly a little tinkle of dog wee disperses into the sand?

2. You do realise what is in the sea that washes up on a beach twice a day don’t you? Yes that’s right folks, human poo germs!

I am amazed, mountain biking is an outdoor pursuit. Outdoors means you are highly likely to come into contact with some sort of animal poo or wee. If you don’t like it stay indoors at your nice clean PC (which probably contains all manner of nasty germs all over the keyboard).

going back to beach bans – at weston super mare the council has it spot on IMO.

There is a Marina with sheltered water for kids and there are no dogs allowed at any time of the year.

During peak season dogs are only allowed on the bit between the marina and the peer where the main ramp is and the other end of the beach where the windsurfers/kiteboarders/land sailing people go.

That area is sectioned into wind surfing only next to one car park – sensible as they have heavy kit. Land sailing at the other end next to the other car park as again they have heavy kit. Kite surfing in the middle as they have lighter kit.

During summer dog owners have to share this with the people doing these sports so both have to take care but at least there is not masses of kids running around to get hit or step in ‘unrinated sand’.

During winter, when all the people who are afraid of bad weather and animal poo and wee stay indoors dogs are allowed back on the main beach. This means the people who are doing the sports can have their areas to themselves.

It’s a compromise which I think works very well. The only problem is they put all the damn wash taps in the no dogs area so if you need to wash a mucky dog like this:

(that pic comes in handy)

you can’t. You also can’t get drinking water very easily, except for the thoughtful cafe/shop owners who put water out in margarine tubs.

I just got back from my local dog walking loop and came back with 2 hands full of drinks cans and foil crisp packets – yup the kids are back in school. And that was only the ones from the fields where the animals are grazing. I left the cans that line the road as they are not a danger to the cows and donkeys.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I left the cans that line the road as they are not a danger to the cows and donkeys.

Bad citizen!!

akysurf
    Free Member

Outdoors means you are highly likely to come into contact with some sort of animal poo or wee

…indeed, my childhood memory of me falling off my sledge face-first into a pile of steaming dog turd is as fresh in my mind as it was in my mouth.

mattbee

I’m glad the dog ban is almost over, means my dog can poo on the beach again instead of on blind corners at trail centres…

sharkbait
    Free Member

**** me akysurf are you still banging on? 😐

uplink
    Free Member

amedias
    Free Member

…indeed, my childhood memory of me falling off my sledge face-first into a pile of steaming dog turd is as fresh in my mind as it was in my mouth.

ah…and suddenly it all becomes clear…

Sandwich

No one worried about the E Coli in farm animal dung then?

akysurf
    Free Member

**** me akysurf

…request declined!

ski
    Free Member

lol, quality pic uplink, I guess that gets over the beach ban too 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Littorally!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sandwich – Member
    No one worried about the E Coli in farm animal dung then?
    POSTED 10 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I will when the farmers start exercising their cows on the beach and in the playground.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes, it’s why after we visit the farm, we find they have little pots to sanitize your hands and we tell the kids not to jump in the shit. Luckily it all tends to be in the same place.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I think most councils try their best to be fair. Horrible creatures. Worse than dogs, I’ll accept that.

for most councils it’s usually in the top five antisocial issues they have to deal with

My council are horrible, they haven’t even built us a beach! How dare they give us the illusion that this country has enough outdoor space for everyone.

Where do I get fatbike tyres to fit the bubble bike?

Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Dogs on beaches – yuck’ is closed to new replies.