Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Dogs: i'd love one but can't face the thought of picking still-warm poo up.
  • mogrim

works great, avoids all contact with said poo

Back turned inside out, there’s no contact either.

Prefer walking the dog out in the countryside, though – with the amount of cow and horse poo around I don’t feel any real need to do more than kick the stuff off the path if the dog’s stupid enough to do it there.

poppa
    Free Member

Surely it makes a difference that people dont tend to go swimming/surfing/days out in close proximity to sewage outlets.

Flinging turds in the sea at beauty spots has got to increase the chances of a human/poo encounter.

scruff
    Free Member

One time I was a bit worse for wear and went to bed. Needed a drink so went downstars half asleep and trod BARE FOOT into a special present from my old dog. Right between my toes & under toe nails. Imagine the fun etc.

As forpicking up,
    garden- little planting handshovel.
    forest paths / canals- big stick sweep it into undergrowth for the the slugs.
    public places- supermarket carrier bag, more robust than doggybag (watch for ones with holes though) Sainsburys are best for hanging in trees, being orange makes them very visual.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK so it happens Matt despite not being lawful. Still out of order on a beach where folk swim/hang out IMO.

mogrim

One time I was a bit worse for wear and went to bed. Needed a drink so went downstars half asleep and trod BARE FOOT into a special present from my old dog. Right between my toes & under toe nails. Imagine the fun etc.

Been there, done that – as a kid. I can still clearly remember the sensation of it passing between my toes…

mos

Have looked after parents dogs when they go on hols & even though i used a bag, i swear that my hand still smelt a little bit.

iDave
    Free Member

my dad knew some farmers who mucked pigs out in bare feet as they didn’t want their boots to be ruined by the pig shit

coffeeking
    Free Member

The more I see them, the more I learn about them, the more I realise dogs can be a very antisocial, minging horrible mess of a creature. I’m sure there are some nice ones but it’s a long time since I’ve seen one.

As for the SAS – I once kitesurfed off Ogmore, after a storm. Didn’t realise why there were a few fish washed up dead and a slightly odd smell. Only on later being diagnosed with helicobacter, spending 12 hours vomiting and spending 3 weeks on antibiotics did I look into it. There’s a sewage treatment plant just upstream of it and in storms they just drop the lot for some reason. Nice. Got knows what I could have contracted.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

my dad knew some farmers who mucked pigs out in bare feet as they didn’t want their boots to be ruined by the pig shit

😆 😆 😆

Poppa – one of the link is for Gwithian where LOTS of people surf and swim.

I’ve been surfing for over 20 years. Things have improved but are still a long long way off being “clean.” I’ve had a few throat issues which were attributed to pollution and all from “clean” Blue Flag beaches. I’ve also seen how they get the Blue Flag on one beach – shut off the sewage outlet pipe for three days before the beach is inspected. Get Blue Flag, release three days worth of tourist season sewage the next day. Make surfers and swimmers ill.

So you can see that although dog doings in the sea isn’t great, it’s hardly worth the reaction of some STWers.

I’ve known surfers caught short who have dropped their wetsuits and laid a floater in the ocean. I will make it clear that it has never been me.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The problem with dog doings in the sea is that we have an immune system that copes with human diseases fairly well, but doesn’t cope with dog diseases as well AFAIK. Hence it’s actually more unpleasant to have dog poo in the sea than human.

ditch_jockey

To drift back to the OP – get a pack of biodegradable poo sacks, keep a couple with you and as someone’s already said, hand in the sack, firm but light grip on poo, turn back inside out, tie a knot in it and bin it.

In reality, how often you have to do it depends on where you walk your dog – we live in the country, so I tend not to bother chasing them into the undergrowth to collect their dump. If they poo on the path, I pick it up. If I was in a public park, beach or some similar spot, I bag it and bin it. The smell is the worst bit and you get used to that – think I remember gagging a bit when she was a pup though.

The other thing is “the bigger the dog, the bigger the turd”, so you may want to pick your breed accordingly. I’d hate the thought of trying to bag a St Bernard’s output!!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So millions of tonnes of human sewage is fine? A single dog turd isn’t?

Come on ck, you’re clutching at straws again.

Oh and BTW, dog bites rarely go sceptic/cause illness. Human bites (on humans) almost always do. So your point doesn’t hold much weight. Unless you have specific evidence of water borne diseases caught directly as a result of a single dog turd?

Because there’s a mountain of cases of diseases caught from the sea from raw human sewage.

On the rare occasions our dog doesn’t go deep in some undergrowth (usually in our garden) or very rarely in the sea, we always always pick it up.

Bunnyhop

I thought that dogs were kept off beaches for the very reason of ‘messing’ in the sand or sea.
    BTW I do know where bacon comes from. Some of us townies, do know a bit about the countryside you know 🙄

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Some of us townies, do know a bit about the countryside you know

Clearly they do… 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Now do any of you know where burgers and bacon come from?

Cahs an pigs, innit? I fink.

I seen a cah once. My mate tried to stroke it, but it runded away. 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

Come on ck, you’re clutching at straws again.

I’m just pointing out why dog poo is more unpleasant than human poo. I’m not justifying either or claiming one is worse overall, just that to my mind dogs ones would be less welcome!

Oh and BTW, dog bites rarely go sceptic/cause illness. Human bites (on humans) almost always do.

Where the hell do you get that sort of statistic from, and how wishywashy is that? You can’t claim any kind of evidencial superiority when using the words “rarely” and “almost always”. I’ve been bitten dozens of times as a kid, by kids, as most children do. And never once did they go septic. Am I superman? GTFOOH!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dog sh!t is about the only smell that actually makes me gip. Which is why I’ll only take ours out if the missus is coming as well.
    If I lived on my own I wouldn’t have a dog, bloody sh!t machines.

samuri
    Free Member

Not wanting to endorse Surf-matt’s actions but you are all aware that the sea is jam packed full of creatures who are all constantly pooing like crazy aren’t you?

As far as picking the dog poo up, it’s never really bothered me to be honest. It’s not particularly fun and the smell is a bit nasty sometimes but it’s a very small price to pay for owning something so ace. It’s usually fairly cold though.

Torminalis
    Free Member

To start with I hated it. Now it is the only reason I keep the dog.

Bunnyhop

the sea is jam packed full of creatures who are all constantly pooing like crazy aren’t you?

Snigger.

nicko74

Move somewhere cold, then you’ll appreciate the warmth! Easy handwarmers!!

gixer.john
    Free Member

Surf – not all sewerage is pumped out untreated. I have worked on WWTW for years, building new ones and modernising some of the older ones.
    The coastal one’s i have worked on include Ventnor, Ramsgate, Herne Bay, Whitstable, Hove, Holyhead and dozens of inland ones.
    the coastal ones will only open the storm flap valves under extreme flood conditions, usually designed on a 50 year weather model.
    WWTW have various filtration methods starting with screens, settlement tanks, sludge tanks etc. The sludge is then dried and collected by vehicles. The clean water will then be allowed to flow or be pumped to the end of a difusser and dissipated at sea. Pretty rare for untreated waste to be floting out of the difusser.

chakaping
    Free Member

To start with I hated it. Now it is the only reason I keep the dog.

😀

Thanks for making me laugh when I’m still working at this tiome on a friday eve.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jam packed? The only thing I ever see in the sea is pooing surfers 🙂

Surf-Mat – Member
    I’ve known surfers caught short who have dropped their wetsuits and laid a floater in the ocean. I will make it clear that it has never been me.

Clearly, you save it all for here 😛

donsimon
    Free Member

binners – Member

I’m afraid I’m with the muslims on my attitude to dogs. Filthy things.

And I genuinely question the sanity of anyone who follows a dumb four legged creature around picking up its poo.

Exactly who’s the boss in that relationship?

You’re a smoker, no?

Peronally I’d rather see a turd on a footpath where I have a good chance of not stepping in it as I generally walk around with my eyes open than catch a mouthful of floater while out for a swim!

Open fields, lots of cows, horses, wild animals and village where people usually get on with their own live and not interfere with the lives of others. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah binners is a filthy stinking smoker. I think he’s overweight too (at least that’s what Elfin told me).

donsimon
    Free Member

That too, but I was thinking along the lines of:

‘And I genuinely question the sanity of anyone who follows a dumb four legged creature around picking up its poo the tobacco marketing teams smoking their poo.

Exactly who’s the boss in that relationship?’

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Why worry about cleaning after a dog? No fecker else seems to bother. Like our neighbour who let’s her dog out of the back of her house so it can shit on our lane. One day I am going to curl one out on her car’s bonnet.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

One day I am going to curl one out on her car’s bonnet.

You could shovel them up and pop them through her letterbox.

How’s that tigra purchase coming along? 😛

I can handle picking up my dogs turds in a placcy bag no probs…..

Try coming home and opening the front door to be smacked in the face by the smell of shit, walking upstairs and finding the landing carpet covered from one end to the other in dog diarrhea – this because he stole my daughters advent calendar yesterday (not enough that we had to endure his stinky trumps all last night).

It was a delight spending half an hour on my hands and knees with sloppy shit up my fingernails when I should have been enjoying my Friday post work pint at the pub.

Frikkin dogs!!!!!!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I might just do that. In the snow last week she let it out to crap near our house and this frozen turd lollipop was sat there for days.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

this because he stole my daughters advent calendar yesterday (not enough that we had to endure his stinky trumps all last night).

Advent Calender = chocolate = dead dog.
    Don’t give chocolate to dogs! (give them loads of raisins)

Essel – we were hoping the full king size dairy milk he snaffled a fortnight ago might finish him off, but alas he’s still here and naughty as ever. Dont think we’ll be lucky enough that he”l kark it on a few christmas shaped confectioneries

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Dogs: i'd love one but can't face the thought of picking still-warm poo up.’ is closed to new replies.