Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Dog owners – advice please
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ok, before i start let me say that whilst i don’t own a dog i do like them and get on with them fairly well.

Right, we all come across dog walkers when out on our bikes, some dogs can be a bit ‘snarly’ etc so i was wondering, would it be a good idea to carry a few dog biscuits in my pocket for such an eventuality, or even just for the friendly ones that just want a pat?

As dog owners what would you think if some random bloke on a bike gave a biccy to your dog? Would it make the dog likely to chase the bike in the hope of more etc?

brakes
    Free Member

people get really pissed off when strangers give their dogs food – lots of dogs have digestive issues and allergies.
    I’m not sure it would work with snarly dogs; maybe you need a slab of meat laced with sleeping tablets like in the movies.

flatfish
    Free Member

I suppose it could “throw the dog off” if it’s chasing you but a well mannered dog should only be getting treats for good behaviour, meaning it gets a reward for chasing, if you see what i mean.
    Hard to say really.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Even with normal winalot (for example) biscuits?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I ride bike, I have dogs, I wouldn’t trust a stranger giving my dog a “treat”. Please don’t do it

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Oh well, was just an idea really – mind you i’ve had to wait for a dog owner on more than one occasion as rover has decided that woofing along happily next to the bloke on the bike is FAR more interesting than obeying the shouts of the rapidly-receding owner!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

On Magnum they always used a couple of bits of steak to distract the dogs.

More constructively, I would have thought that if the dogs came across some random person giving them treats they would follow said person to get more treats.

amplebrew

One of my dogs is on a prescription diet due to a really bad food intolerance, so any treats no matter how well meant; could cause him a few problems.

My pet hate, if you pardon the pun; is dog owners who can’t keep their animals under proper control.

Drac

Never have an issue with strangers giving my dog treats, he doesn’t either. If he had allergy I’d let them know before they gave him a one, some people ask before they give the dog a treat if it’s Ok so there you go just ask.

The snarly ones just ignore them.

Edukator
    Free Member

If it isn’t on a lead start chasing the thing around yelling “bite me, bite me you stupid mutt, I need the compensation money”. This should result in the owner putting the dog on a lead ASAP. (why isn’t there an I’m-being-serious smiley?)

Rickos
    Free Member

One of the postmen here has a pocketful of chew stick things and he occasionally gives one to our collie and I always think it’s a bit weird, even for a postie. So for some random biker it would be even more bizarre and puzzling.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

If i were a postie i’d have a pocket full as well – angry dogs can be a posties bane!

project
    Free Member

Never have an issue with strangers giving my dog treats, he doesn’t either.

I believe those peeps you sometimes see in the countryside dresed in green romper suits,usually in pairs,carrying big bags are very partial to a few biscuits, dont attempt to pat them though, they sometimes dont like it.

mogrim

Oh well, was just an idea really – mind you i’ve had to wait for a dog owner on more than one occasion as rover has decided that woofing along happily next to the bloke on the bike is FAR more interesting than obeying the shouts of the rapidly-receding owner!

Why did you wait???

If a dog gets snarly the best thing to do is to stop and shout “f*** off” at it as loud as possible, and raise your hand like you mean to hit it. Riding off just provokes it more. (Obviously you shouldn’t have to have to do either, but some owners are inconsiderate ****s who shouldn’t be allowed dogs…)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The dog was fine Mogrim, i’d already given it a stroke when i had to stop at a gate, she just wanted to run along with me 🙂 Lovely chocolate lab she was but when i realised the owner was about 200yrds back i thought i’d better stop so he could get hold of her, he eventually came puffing up whilst i scratched her ears.

stratobiker
    Free Member

muddydwarf – a very kind thought. As a cyclist and a dog owner I’d say…

No need to give my dog anything. She trained to happy with cyclists. If she gives you a problem it’s not cause she’s bad, she just wants to be with her people (cyclists). A gentle squirt of water from your bidon will discourage her.

SB

mogrim

Admit it, you were trying to outrun the mutt and had to stop for a breather 🙂

mogrim

A gentle squirt of water from your bidon will discourage her.

Have to be a mouthful spat from my Camelbak, no bidon I’m afraid 😉

stratobiker
    Free Member

If a dog gets snarly the best thing to do is to stop and shout “f*** off” at it as loud as possible, and raise your hand like you mean to hit it. Riding off just provokes it more.

Really???

stratobiker
    Free Member

Have to be a mouthful spat from my Camelbak, no bidon I’m afraid

That’ll do the trick! 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Busted! 😆

mogrim

Really???

Yes, really. Running or riding off will just provoke it more, dogs love chasing things. If it’s a really big dog, get your bike between you and the animal.

Edit: unless you’re on a downhill, in which case you might be able to get away. On the flat or uphill a dog will usually be faster than you.

chewkw
    Free Member

If the dogs start chasing you while you are on the bike it is very unlikely that they will stop for a treat put it this way. They want your ankle …

garage-dweller

If you want to treat (and no reason on this earth you should feel the need to) then always ask first. Even dog owner to dog owner we would ask as one of ours had a bowel condition. Sadly we’re now dogless as both have passed away.

Stroking is a bit different but when we’re out with our son (near 3) we always get him to ask (or ask for him) if it’s ok to say hello to the dog as some dogs aren’t good with anyone other than their owners (and some owners are miserable blighters too).

If I’m riding on my own and someone’s pooch comes up to have a close look and it seems friendly and well behaved I stop and it usually gets a pat or stroke though.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Stroking is a bit different but when we’re out with our son (near 3) we always get him to ask (or ask for him) if it’s ok to say hello to the dog as some dogs aren’t good with anyone other than their owners (and some owners are miserable blighters

I wish everyone was like you. You wouldn’t believe the amount of people who thought it was ok maul our dog at cruffs last week. He even had to put up with some kids shoving their face in his. Good job he’s a chilled out fella. The thing is, if he’d reacted in a bad way, who’d be to blame? I mean, if someone who you didn’t know from Adam came running up to you and REALLY invaded your space how would you react?

garage-dweller

We’re (sadly) ex-dog owners for now.

I was frightened of them growing up after a bad experience or two caused primarily by my stupidity.

It was only when I met my now wife who’d always had dogs that I really started to understand (despite my sis having a choc lab for a few years by then).

I want our boys to grow up loving and more importantly respecting dogs (the other’s only a month old so a bit young). The origin of our eldest’s name is “lover of hounds”. First time our son saw a harlequin great dane he said it was a cow but was happy to stroke it (with the owners permission)!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Is the name of your first born called Conor?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Dog owners – advice please’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM