Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Dog exercisers, do you actually care about other peoples safety
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

I saw someone riding a bike on the pavement today. Bastards.

eyerideit
    Free Member

teethgrinder – Member
    Dogs are ****.
    So are their owners.

Dogs are COOL.
    So are their owners?

Hohum
    Free Member

samuri
    Free Member

I cannot imagine, in a million years, why someone would not love dogs. I’ll propose a scenario, to highlight why.

You’re sat in at night, you’re safe in your house watching east enders.
    Two men break in. They’re dead butch and have weapons. They suggest that more than one person in the house is going to get raped. And you’re the only person in the house.

Oh dear.

Now in this situation, every single animal on the planet, will, given the opportunity, do one. Including humans and especially cats.

Apart from one. Any guesses? That’s right. Your loyal dog will stay with you and try and protect you. It may only weight the same as a bag of sugar but it doesn’t care. Anyone after your ass, is going to die.

The intruders state that anything getting in the way of your ring and them, is going to get 12 inches of steel in its belly. The dog don’t care. Die protecting my masters balloon knot? Gladly. This principal applies to all dogs, big and small.

And some people prefer cats. you should question why you associate with thos people.

teethgrinder

As long as the arse-rapers don’t shit on the trails…live and let live.

RustySpanner

So, given the circumstances of Samuri’s fantasy
    the situation posted above, would you rather:

A: Spend the next 15 years picking up dogshit two or three times a day.

or

B: Be anally violated?

Bear in mind that the type of dog that could stand up to these bum-loving criminals would have to be a hefty beast, and that the total amount of excrement could be very large indeed.

The situation isn’t relevant to me as I don’t watch EastEnders, but perhaps we could have a front page poll for those that do?

justatheory
    Free Member

Bag it and bin it. If in the middle of nowhere stick and flick out of the way where it’ll decompose. Hanging it in trees is nasty.

crankboy
    Free Member

Surely samurai’s scenario just demonstrates that dogs can’t understand human speach.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i dont know where the OP is based but i’ve never seen a single bag of dog poo hanging from a tree round these parts, and there are a LOT of dogs. there’s also a LOT of cyclists. as a general rule everyone’s very considerate of each other 🙂

personally i like to collect all the dog poo and throw it at children’s faces from my bike, thus ensuring a swift getaway.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

If in the middle of nowhere stick and flick out of the way where it’ll decompose

where it will be a biohazard to humans still, and will additionally cause soil enrichment and loss of habitat for native fauna due to number of antisocial pet owners doing the same

double win for those who CBA to bag it and bin it everytime

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Phil +1. Anyway just off to take my dogs out. Bags ready, treats/whistle ready to ensure complete control. Only ever seen two bags in the trees near me. Oddly in the same tree???

theboatman
    Free Member

I think samurai’s dellusional scenario should be at the forefront of the next rspca adopt a dog campaign. It could end with the pooch stood next to the broken violated body of a dog owner, tenderly licking their face or having a good old sniff of their bottom.

psling
    Free Member

They suggest that more than one person in the house is going to get raped. And you’re the only person in the house.

Yeah, but most dogs on hearing this will think ‘mmmm, I’m the only other person in here, sod that, I’m outta here’ and whooosh, cartoon like profile of dog with tail firmly between its legs through back door panel… 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surely samurai’s scenario just demonstrates that dogs can’t understand human speach.

There is a field of linguistic study that supposes that speech actually developed at about the same time that the wild dogs were being domesticated, as humans needed a way to communicate with them. Two cavemen could communicate using signs and pointing, etc, but dogs, especially when used as hunting animals, rely on sound for communication.

Sandwich

where it will be a biohazard to humans still, and will additionally cause soil enrichment and loss of habitat for native fauna due to number of antisocial pet owners doing the same

You are aware that this is recommended at Llandegla and also along Dovedale, by the landowner/manager to give but 2 examples?

binners

Are there any non-bum-rapey burglery related reasons for keeping a massive, daft, shitting-machine in your house?

I wouldn’t dismiss cats as protection so quickly either. You should get a withering stare off our new little sod. It could freeze your blood 😯

grum
    Free Member

Many of the housing estates I work on have large european and asian communities and these are ALWAYS the ones I see letting the dogs foul and not picking it up.

Probably just a combination of xenophobia and confirmation bias.

tinman66
    Free Member

These posts are at best an absolute waste of time or alternatively just trolling.

There seems to be a daily stream of “Why are car drivers / dogs / bin men / little green men / bus drivers so inconsiderate blah blah blah” on STW.

These are the same people who then moan when people stereotype cyclists as the anti-christ, running redlights and riding down the pavement knocking over small children and grannies as they go.

Can’t we all just accept that in any ‘group’ of people there are going to be responsible and irresponsible people. Get over it.

Cougar

Can’t we all just accept that in any ‘group’ of people there are going to be responsible and irresponsible people. Get over it.

I think that, largely, most people here do accept that. Doesn’t mean it’s not interesting to discuss, or cathartic to moan about, occasionally.

I quite like dogs. Wouldn’t have one myself as I don’t want the responsibility.

Samurai’s otherwise great post misses one point, which is the conclusion of his little scenario. To wit, the hypothetical burglar with the large knife and the equally large erection is going to dice the loyal family pet into bite-sized chunks before violating the family anyway. So, without a dog, you’re left with no possessions and a sore bum; with a dog, you’ve no possessions and a sore bum and have also to deal with the tragic, brutal death of a loved pet. You’ll probably need a new carpet too. Better off without, then.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

You are aware that this is recommended at Llandegla and also along Dovedale, by the landowner/manager to give but 2 examples?

if you google (other search engines are available) habitat degradation and dog fouling you will come across a plethora of earnest reports by professionals describing the damage done to fragile habitats and the fact they can’t do anything about it due to the dog owners inability to bag it and bin it

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

This thread reaffirms my belief that a well kept dog is way better than some so called humans.

binners

What about a badly kept dog, compared to… erm… Cheeky scouse occasional radio 2 DJ Lisa Tarbuck?

ski
    Free Member

now I know why we so many chavs with Staffies, they are protecting there speed bumps 😉

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Binners, no such thing as a bad dog, only bad owners who dont or dont know how to train them, which strengthens my belief in my comment 🙂

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

And i’d “do” tarbuck… IF she could keep her gob shut for 2.3 mins 😉 Lol

ampthill

if you google (other search engines are available) habitat degradation and dog fouling you will come across a plethora of earnest reports by professionals describing the damage done to fragile habitats

I did try googling it. Wasn’t quite as easy as you made out. Loads of pdfs with th odd mention as an aside. It does seem that its an issue in nutrient poor habitats of enviromental concern

As llangella is a plantation that will be ripped out in time, then I’m sure the impact is zero. The same is of course true for anywhere with domesticated animals. The idea that upland Britain is getting more nutrients from dogs than sheep is laughable

However I take that flicking away isn’t appropiate on Heathland

onehundredthidiot

if you google (other search engines are available) habitat degradation and dog fouling you will come across a plethora of earnest reports by professionals describing the damage done to fragile habitats and the fact they can’t do anything about it due to the dog owners inability to bag it and bin it

Ah, the ironing. A post about damage to fragile habitats posted on a forum inhabited by people who ride bikes in the countryside and probably follow and partake in other outdoor activities. All of which cause some damage.

khani
    Free Member

What’s not to like

It’s so pretty. Took me years to get it so good .. 8) and it’ll be there forever.

dannyh
    Free Member

Sadly, it is the minority spoiling it for the majority again (as with most things in life).

In this case, I do think it is a sizeable minority, though. I see a lot of dog owners demonstrably doing the right thing when people are around, but see the same people not bothering to clear up the crap if they think they’ve ‘got away with it’.

A lot of dog owners want a dog for kudos, or companionship or something but don’t want to deal with the downside.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Took me rears to get it so good

Typo du jour! 🙂

khani
    Free Member

Four canine rears to be precise 😀

boblo
    Free Member

They’re not all good news you know. Fall asleep and they’ll eat yer face:

Face chomping lab

khani
    Free Member

That’s no suprise, our lab’ll eat owt, even her own shit, it’s a bugger to bag up for the tree before she gets into it!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I did try googling it. Wasn’t quite as easy as you made out. Loads of pdfs with th odd mention as an aside.

your googlefu isn’t very strong

It does seem that its an issue in nutrient poor habitats of enviromental concern

so you did read a few

As llangella is a plantation that will be ripped out in time, then I’m sure the impact is zero.

why, have you doen an environmental impact assessment? what’s the impact on the local watercourses for example? DOes the nutrient enrichment increase the numbers of non-native flora and fauna and encourage the proliferation of invasive species?

The same is of course true for anywhere with domesticated animals. The idea that upland Britain is getting more nutrients from dogs than sheep is laughable

is it? sheep have a completely different diet to dogs, obviously you must work for one of those wind farm companies that describe the north as a “post industrial landscape” with little to offer as a habitat. That must be why you think it’s fine for you not to bag and bin it everytime

However I take that flicking away isn’t appropiate on Heathland

thanks, please extend the same courtesy to everywhere else

servo
    Free Member

I too have nearly been taken out by the old extending dog lead trick. However, if the worst was to happen, the dog walker the innocent dog (unfortunately) would not escape unscathed. I’m not sure if this would make me feel better but at least they would share my pain!

philconsequence
    Free Member

why aren’t cyclists riding at a safe speed where they can stop if there’s a dog or human in the way? you know… considerately 😉

Dancake
    Free Member

I too have nearly been taken out by the old extending dog lead trick. However, if the worst was to happen, the dog walker the innocent dog (unfortunately) would not escape unscathed. I’m not sure if this would make me feel better but at least they would share my pain!

Just how fast are you lot going when you are flying past people and their dogs? If I approach a dog walker I excercise the correct amount of caution… 😯

thehustler
    Free Member

I like the Delamere forest ‘stick and flick’ ethos, must remember to ‘flick’ more often as some of you guys are passing…..

ampthill

I obviously work for a wind form company!!!!

Well that saves me the bother of trying to pursue a rational debate!!!!

Well off for a bike ride, with the dog. We should have a vote button as to which of us will cause more damage to Woburn.

Sandwich

sheep have a completely different diet to dogs

Very true and the nutrients are more accessible from herbivorous animal pooh than omnivorous/carnivorous animals. Why else would we use farm manure on our gardens/fields?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Dog exercisers, do you actually care about other peoples safety’ is closed to new replies.