Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Does this tent exist?
  • Cougar

I think that might be the one then, unless Footflaps is selling…?

NZCol

Nordisk telemark 1 LW or ULW , pitches in one go, mega light, works well.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“So some of us grew up thinking a Quasar was a light tent compared to a Force 10…”
    Exactly.
    No point in carrying more than you have to but don’t worry about a few hundred g.
    Spent some of last week camping in the Cairngorms.
    Took a Vango Banshee 200 to save weight but wish I’d taken my North Face Tadpole.

trail_rat
    Free Member

not remotely a 4 season tent but the tunnel tent shrugged off the wind and snow no bother – i couldnt even use the building to shelter it as the only flat spot was on the side the wind was coming from 🙁

without doubt the best tent ive had for touring – and its 100% the porch area that does it – worth the extra half kilo(weighing in at 2.55KG) imo for scottish touring.

There is a similar style vango – but i can attest to the fact its no where near as stable and no where near as waterproof – my mate woke up next to us in skye soaked through and his tent doesnt really have the same shape any more – the wind gave the poles a good bending.

busta
    Free Member

I have a Zephyros 2XL Lite and a Hoolie 4. On trips with a friend with a TN Voyager (The father of the Wild Country Trisar) the Voyager is solid as a rock in winds that knock the Zephyros about, but the Zephyros still holds up and I’ve never had a bad nights sleep in it. The Porch on the Voyager/Trisar is more useful but it’s slower to pitch and inner first. It’s hard to get in and out of the Zephyros without getting the inside wet. But being able to unclip the inner for more space is useful if you are cooking inside.
    The Hoolie 4 is obviously too big for bike packing but the design is the same as the smaller ones. In windy conditions you need to get it pitched and guyed perfectly for it to feel secure but once you’ve got the hang of it it’s a tough tent. The shallow angle of the front door makes it a bit awkward reaching for the zip without kneeling in the inevitably muddy doorway. That’s a minor issue though. I’d go for the ETC version next time because you get a lot more space for a small weight penalty.
    On both Wild Country tents it’s impossible to get the inner taught, which annoyed me at first but you get used to it. I think the smaller Zephyros tents are better for this.
    After a few years of use the Hoolie guylines are getting tatty and one of the pole sleeves has torn. I wouldn’t rate the durability very highly but I think that is reflected in the price. If you want something that will last forever go for something with a silnylon fly like the Terra Nova versions or a Hilleburg.

trail_rat
    Free Member

although i feel i should stand up for the vaude taurus a little more than i have – i was a good tent just a little too small ….

still have memorys of it withstanding the hurricane that was the raasay rumble saturday night that saw many a tent fly off into the raasay firth – contents an all.

molgrips
    Free Member

The only thing with the TN is the groundsheet lost all waterproofing years ago, so we have to use a footprint.

Scottish Mountain Gear gave my Westwind a new floor for some ridiculously cheap price a few years ago.

footflaps

I think that might be the one then, unless Footflaps is selling…?

I am, just being a bit useless at getting it out and taking some photos. Hopefully tonight….

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve stopped myself posting “I’ve got a, have you looked at this?”

But now I’m over that (think it’s over 2.5kgs though and probably not what you are after at all, but hey)

Cougar

I am, just being a bit useless at getting it out and taking some photos. Hopefully tonight….

That’s very kind but you’ve got me all wrong there, I’m just interested in the tent.

How old is it / what state is it in / how much do you want for it?

footflaps

How old is it / what state is it in / how much do you want for it?

YGM

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HKS3xm]Macpac Minaret[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

^ Brilliant tent. My old PURPLE(!) one died a few years back of UV degradation, after hundreds of nights out. 🙁

Edit: I think this is the only digital pic I have of it.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/v2Dsi]walesmay06007[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Based on the flap of material at the front with the logo sewn on, that looks to be a year or two older than mine, Mine was bought direct from the factory and was the first of a slight redesign to that area, so I’m guessing at mid 90’s. Anyway, it looks def from the made in New Zealand generation and IMO all the materials will still be top notch, assuming it’s been looked after. you might want to re seal the seems on the fly, but I haven’t done mine in 20 yrs. It’s got all the features like you thread the poles from one side and they go straight into holsters on the other, so it’s instant. Massive storage pockets inside, mine has a washing line inside as well, inner unclips to make a bigger cooking area, really high quality groundsheet. you can just pitch the outer or just pitch the inner.

NB. I’m assuming the minaret had the same design time line as the Olympus, otherwise I might be way out on my guess

Spin
    Free Member

Minarets are great tents but I think too small for extended 2 person use, especially in poor weather. We had one but replaced it for this reason after a rainy 4 week tour in Newfoundland.

Cougar

It’s only going to be for solo use at this juncture.

My old PURPLE(!) one died a few years back of UV degradation,

I read somewhere that the purple ones were the first generation, heavier duty groundsheet but like a pound heavier also.

I’ve replied to Mr Flaps, but my biggest concern really is whether I’m being foolhardy in throwing a chunk of money on something of that vintage.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve thrown out a Hellsport Gortex, a tadpole and cheaper tents. The Hellsport proofing started to fail at 10 years and it was thrown out with unstuck taping and porous fabric at 20. The little used Tadpole groundsheet became porous at about 10 years and the taping started to peel off. A Decathlon that spent a lot of time in the sun only lasted five years. It’s a combination of use and age.

footflaps

It’s got all the features like you thread the poles from one side and they go straight into holsters on the other, so it’s instant.

Yep, was quite impressed how quick it was to pitch (it’s been in the loft for 10+ years, took a while to find it).

And yes, loads of mesh pockets..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HuaLUq]Macpac Minaret[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

I read somewhere that the purple ones were the first generation, heavier duty groundsheet but like a pound heavier also.

Mine was supposedly the first container load of Macpac kit in the UK, bought from Cotswolds in Betws in Autumn 1992.
    It was pretty chunky. But then the ground sheet was bomber – like a plastic version of their rucsac material. 8)

footflaps

Mine was from the original Field and Trek store in Brentwood, long before they expanded and then became part of the ‘Chav-direct’ empire….

matt_outandabout

my biggest concern really is whether I’m being foolhardy in throwing a chunk of money on something of that vintage.

If I could feel the fabric, I would not be put off. A well stored nylon tent should be OK, but it needs to be a good price… 😉

Spin
    Free Member

It’s only going to be for solo use at this juncture.

Minarets are pretty heavy for solo use by today’s standards, our 2002 model is a little over 3kg. But of course bombproof and super easy to pitch.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’d rather sleep in a bivvy bag than carry a 3kg tent.

Cougar

Really? The heaviest I’ve seen the originals listed is 2.9kg I think. Still, I’d love to hear alternative suggestions!

If I could feel the fabric, I would not be put off. A well stored nylon tent should be OK, but it needs to be a good price…

What would you consider a good price for FF’s Macpac, out of curiosity?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Have a look at eBay completed and sold items, appear to go for £70 to £110 incl p&p

molgrips
    Free Member

The little used Tadpole groundsheet became porous at about 10 years and the taping started to peel off.

As said, groundsheets are very cheaply repairable. Throwing it out was a waste of a good tent.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Edukator – Reformed Troll

yip.

Cougar

Have a look at eBay completed and sold items, appear to go for £70 to £110 incl p&p

Ah, I hadn’t realised you could do that. Good shout.

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw cougar, what do your camping trips normally consist of, when, where, what weather?

NZCol

I’ve found two macpac minarets – i’ll see if we might sell one (they sponsored me for a while – I have a collection !). One Yellow, one blue – agree, utterly bulletproof things

matt_outandabout

As above, great tent, but older and likely worth less than £100 imo.

I might be interested in one NZcol – or even an Olympus… 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I might be interested in one NZcol – or even an Olympus…

I’m going to be cremated in my Olympus along with an old very worn pair of Scarpa Drus’

BadlyWiredDog

I’d rather carry a bivi bag and sleep in a 3kg tent.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Does this tent exist?’ is closed to new replies.