Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Does this look like a cracked frame to you?
  • rockitman

Hi,

Does this look like a cracked frame to you guys or just a crack in the paint?

Thoughts please.

Thanks,

RM

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Doesn’t look to good to me!

rockitman

Hmmm. Not having a good day. Can I not link to Picassa?

crispybacon
    Free Member

I think it’s definitely cracked 😉

rockitman

Can you see the image? I can’t!

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

I had to download in a new tab…looks to be in a place where you’d ‘expect’ a crack too.

rockitman

Ah, I see. Thanks for the feedback. Gutted… 2nd hand frame 🙁

jedi

cant see a pic 🙁

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Dancake
    Free Member

ooh..take the paint back to be sure. You never know

rockitman

Right click and open in new tab I think is the best way. Sorry. Not sure why it’s not linking

Jamie
    Free Member

higgo
    Free Member

ouch.

jedi

bin it

nickhart
    Free Member

get it fixed and keep it for commuting/pootling/niche/retro/touring/owt else boring……

steveh

As someone else has said scratch/remove the paint off in the area for a better look. It doesn’t look good but might just be paint.

rockitman

It’s a DH frame 🙁

rockitman

It has just been resprayed…

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Was a DH frame…

flow
    Free Member

What frame is it?

steveh

If the paint is fresh it’s potentially more likely to be just paint for me (unless the seller did it of course), different type of pain etc. Take the paint off and look underneath.

flatfish
    Free Member

Crack

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Oh yes. Thats cracked.

Paint doesn’t crack for no reason.

Trekster

get some of this
    `tis what we use on vessels and pipework

Drill a hole either end and get a local engineering works to weld. Preferably a sheet metal works used to working with thin materials.
    Still a risk that it will crack again tho 🙄

Joe

I wouldn’t be so sure its cracked. Too many armchair critics and its very hard to tell from that picture. If i were you I would carefully remove the paint around the weld and check if its just the way the paint has dried.

rockitman

What’s the best way to remove the paint guys?

Joe

Either with a screw driver/sharp blade if its a powdercoat (which it looks to be) which will likely flake off easily (especially round a weld).

If this doesnt work dab a little bit of nitromors on the area.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Where is the crack George? Can’t work it out. Give Orange a call before you start messing about with the paint, they might prefer to inspect and sort it themselves given that it’s a prototype, they will likely be interest in where/how it’s failed.

rockitman

Thanks Joe. I live in hope…

Downtube Rocky. Gusset that joins to headtube…

Have emailed them and not gonna touch it till I hear back…

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

If it helps,I had a Diamondback WCF4.0 back in 1997, it developed a crack in the paint on the down tube, all the way around the tube. I rode it for about 18 months before I realised that it was a crack in the bond between the chromoloy lugs and the carbon fibre tubes. A rock hit the down tube and knocked a lump of filler out and I didn’t ride it again, but it worked no problems with effectively no down tube at all.

In short, it’ll be fine! 🙂

thekingisdead
    Free Member

As someone else has said scratch/remove the paint off in the area for a better look. It doesn’t look good but might just be paint.

While I’d like to be optimistic….given the location (next to a weld, HAZ etc) I’d put my house on it being a crack. Hell it IS a crack. 🙁

flow
    Free Member

WHAT FRAME IS IT???

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It’s an Orange 225 prototype DH frame, as raced by Ben Cathro last year.

Trekster

classic gusset+big gobby weld = crack(possibly)
    Gussets have a tendency of moving any stress to another area. If this is badly designed/placed etc then failure will occur. Some people think they are for strengthening an area but if badly executed then all they due is move the problem. Alloy is especially prone to thinning at the edge of a weld and on a thin tube it can create problems.
    Have you been on a DH forum and asked other owners of this brand/model?

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s a crack.

it’s cracked.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s an Orange 225 prototype DH frame, as raced by Ben Cathro last year.

LOL how many words in that sentence can you have that all point to it being cracked. Let’s see ‘orange’ ‘prototype’ ‘dh’ ‘raced’ and ‘by Ben Cathrow’a,

ilovemygears
    Free Member

their dead dave, dave their dead, dead dave , dave they are all dead. Yep its dead 🙁

Northwind

Probably cracked, but, slight flex can crack paint, and your new paint could be badly applied or could have shrunk back, or they might have stupidly painted it with cellulose which cracks if you look at it funny. Cut the paint back and have a look, it’s not like you’ve got anything to lose.

kaesae
    Free Member

Looks like a crack to me, on a regular basis when frames are repsrayed they crack as the aluminium is slightly altered.

Google frame cracking after respray, it hapens a lot more often with powder coated frames as they’re baked in the over at higher temps.

Good luck!

ahwiles
    Free Member

Probably cracked

hth.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Does this look like a cracked frame to you?’ is closed to new replies.