• This topic has 204 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 205 total)
  • does lily allen have any talent?
  • epicyclo

I am not particularly into Pop music – at my age it’s more grandpop 🙂

The first time I heard Lily Allen I thought that’s a pleasant change, and when I saw her in an interview I thought she seems ok.

She’s no great beauty, nor has she the voice of Susan Boyle, but she is a good package and I like her.

I have no idea who her father is BTW.

Why the venom against her, has she done something bad?

rOcKeTdOg

susan boyle?

radoggair
    Free Member

her music is catchy, but her.come on

When she started she was a tubby little cheeky girl who said showbiz wouldn’t change her. She now doesn’t wear trainers like she always did, has lost 3 dress sizes and makes publicity my slating other singers, a bit of a singing jodi marsh really. Although i would ‘do’ her, i wouldn’t do anything more. She only made ‘it’ big because of her dad, not like duffy or sandi thom for instance so she is her own worse enemy. She would do better to keep singing and keep her head down

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

her music is catchy

Your taste in music sucks you little gayer 😉

mildred

NO NO NO!!!

she sucks the pipe.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Lily Allen makes vacuous pop music, no more no less. She does it pretty well and therefore is successful, because lots of people buy vacuous pop music to play in the background whilst they are doing other things.

PP, your list lacks people I haven’t heard of 😉

Woody
    Free Member

RAOFLMAO @ Susan Boyle

What next , a duet with Michelle McManus ??

zaskar
    Free Member

Depends what you like to listen to.

Blues and Rock for me. Dance music for the gym.

Not sure about the marketing behind todays pop’ kinda boring. But each to their own.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And I agree with Nickc – definitely M.O.R.

That may be some sort of compliment or some sort of insult, but I have absolutely no idea what MOR is. No, really I don’t. Some sort of music mag generated tag?
    (Eminem was total rubbish, by the way. I wouldn’t bother again)

And this sort of thing

In virtual terms, PP just walked into the room wearing a beige cardigan and slacks, said ‘Hey kids, isn’t Lily Allen great’, and proceeded to dance in an embarrassing way.

Even said in jest, proves my point. You judge people by the music they listen to because you think what you like somehow elevates you above me, that your taste is superior…..
    😛

Just because the music snobs don’t like Lily Allen doesn’t mean a thing. I go my own way.

(I really really wish I’d got a pic of me from my BMX days. That would show you what I mean)
    🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I’ve seen Lilly Allen perform live when she was first staring out and supported the Scissor Sisters (don’t ask) and she was actually pretty good.

Up to that point I pretty much thought like many of the blow-hards on here, that Daddy had made her career and some studio magic was involved somewhere. I was surprised to find she was actually pretty entertaining, not that I’d buy her albums or anything just I started to give her a little more credit for her performance.

I still think she is a bit of a two-faced cow though on the whole “I don’t care what people think of my appearance/weight, I’m just me” shortly before losing three stone and bestowing the benefits of dieting to all who will listen.

But yes I would, I bet she goes like a stoat.

Woody
    Free Member

PP

MOR = Middle of the road

I think the posts critising your taste in music just reinforces the previous comment about musical snobbery. I wouldn’t call most of those bands you have seen MOR, mainstream possibly but only by virtue of there success and not the musical content.

S&J I bet you are right 😆

nickc

But yes I would, I bet she goes like a stoat.

I think, on the whole, it pretty much boils down to that, really.

shinsplints

LOL @ sootyandjim for going to see the scissor sisters 😆

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

best line i hear about Lily Allen was

“she’s got the look of a f**king retarded spaniel”

still love that line

on a serious note – you like her or you don’t, most music that is in any way popular is so because it fits a demographic, you rarely hear good music because it’s not very marketable

epicyclo

I thought there was simply different sorts of music.

I didn’t realise that preferring one sort made you a superior individual to someone preferring/performing another. Some people have very sad lives by the look of it.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

little know fact her stepdad is Harry Enfield, has to be said i think she quite cute and looks like a real women not skin and bones, don’t mind her songs and can take them or leave them do think she writes with tounge firmly in cheek and i don’t think she got where is is on her dads shirt tale after all he is only a third rate brit actor and not a very good documentry maker.

Nico
    Free Member

Boyle and Mick McManus? Mud wrestling?

IdleJon

‘And this sort of thing

In virtual terms, PP just walked into the room wearing a beige cardigan and slacks, said ‘Hey kids, isn’t Lily Allen great’, and proceeded to dance in an embarrassing way.

Even said in jest, proves my point. You judge people by the music they listen to because you think what you like somehow elevates you above me, that your taste is superior…..’

Definitely not PP – this year I’ve seen Fish (ex Marillion), Ultravox, going to see The Alarm, The Damned and Stiff Little Finger next week, and due to see Oysterband and June Tabor in July. So that’s dodgy 80s stuff, and folk music. That definitely does not put me on the high ground for musical taste.

mAx_hEadSet

I cant see what the real fuss / point is here.. pop has always been the stomping ground of manicured musical outfits. When we dream back to the 50’s and the 60’s Elvis was manipulated and Berry Gordy was as responsible for what went out as Motown as Phil Spector was t othe Wall of sound.. why should Lily Allen have to be the first pop act to clean up and get real. I am sure as a young kid listening to the Archies chirpy chirpy cheep cheep my dad must of rolled his eyes whilst tolerating my right to listen.. . in fact that was all the fault of radio 1 and it took twiddling the dial to find Fluff Freeman that my taste started to improve.. much to my dads further chagrin and seeing school mates thinking Sweet or the Osmonds to be the best music had to offer.

Ultimately my real ability to enjoy a diverse taste only really started once I found John Peel, and reading an interview in NME or similar when his eldest kids were about 11 or 12 the journalist suggested they must be the most switched on kids in the world in terms of musical taste and JP replied at their age if he found them listening to Mark E Smith or Throbbing Gristle and not enjoying Sheena Easton or any other pop act and he felt he had failed in giving them a proper upbringing. Mark E would seek them out during the angst of teenage life when they were better prepared for him

I see many people enjoy Lily and right on too its still better than any of the trite shite Stock Aitken and Waterman heaped on us during the 80’s

juiced
    Free Member

i have her first album and think it is superb. Not usually into pop music as such but I love this!

rOcKeTdOg

she will have my children one day, i just need to arrange the seed deployment

DrDolittle
    Free Member

For the record, I like anything really. Rock, punk, ska, pop, female vocal, classical, proper rock’n’roll, some dance, hip-hop, new, old….Bluddy anyhthing.

(blah blah blah)

What I don’t like is people that stick their nose in the air and pretend that because they ‘know what they are talking about’, a certain artist is rubbish.

[/i](blah blah blah)

Now what was your opinion of Kraftwerk?

(FFS there’s a thread going about Kraftwerk! They were talentless-electronic-dirge crap of the first order 20 years ago.

Wow! considering they’d been going since 1970/71, 19 years of your lack of dissapproval isn’t too bad going, eh?

Stick your opinion where the sun don’t shine, halfwit.

**** with kraftwerk, and you **** with me, bitch.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

mention music on STW and you always get 2 types of people posting – Those whos musical taste ended in 1979 and only listen to crusty overblown rock bands and look down on everyone else, and those who only listen to stuff nobody else cares about just because it makes them look cool and alternative

Did anyone else pick up on this too?

What about the over opinionated middle brow dullards who appear to be quite insecure about their rather pedestrian tastes and get all “boot boy” about others of a more exploratory/inquisitive/imaginative persuasion?

Kraftwerk = talentless….HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

That made me laugh..in the context.

atlaz
    Free Member

I like lots of music. Some is fairly mainstream, some isn’t. Some is quite laid back, some isn’t. Depends on mood, where I am, what the weather is, a hundred other factors.

I think that bloke from Hayseed Dixie said it best, “There’s nobody that I know that I would ever wanna drink any beer with that only has one type of music in his record collection.”

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Thing is, I can say this and mean it

For the record, I like anything really

There’s a time and place for nearly anything. Dumbfucked reverse snobbery is just soooooooo depressing though. So **** suburban.

(did you see what I just did there?)

samuri
    Free Member

She’s alright. Writes her own songs apparently which is a nice change from the majority of pop artists in the charts nowadays. I didn’t like her originally but I’m slightly warming to her now. She started off well but is clearly being groomed to present a standard image. It must be hard being hammered by your record label to fit a set of requirements when you want to be yourself. Business at the end of the day. She looks pretty good in that white suit in her latest record and yes, she’d probably get it. Like her hair.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I’d love to have gone to one of the famous Innerspace orgies with Kraftwerk.

Kraftwerk for the conversation, and Lilly for the hot cock action.

(Were I that way inclined :roll:)

Best of both worlds. No fascist denialism!

simonk
    Free Member

Personaly i think she is pretty good, even my 60y/o dad likes her music and bought her first album it is well written and a funny look at life.

and Kraftwork are awesome a group way ahead of their time

Houns

Some of her songs are ok, i’ve nowt against the girl, in fact i’d rather listen to her than 99.7% of the pap most on here would like

BigDummy
    Free Member

Wow. This thread got angsty. 😯

And a nice ironic bid for the 0.3% of non-pap there from Houns. It’s almost as though Poddy vs Doolittle had never happened. 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’ve just watched her on C4 and found her captivating and delightful. Funny, arch, bitchy, great fun to watch. Not afraid to pursue her own style. I’m willing to believe her sing-song lyrics and presentation are intentionally ironic…

muggomagic

I’ve just watched her on C4 and found her captivating and delightful. Funny, arch, bitchy, great fun to watch.

I think you’ll find that was Lily Savage.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

She has a real talent for making me look twice and say (adopts Leslie Philips type loucheness) “Helloooh”.

rather attractive, I must admit.

chewkw
    Free Member

She earns much much more than me so I guess there must be talent there.

hhhmmmm … why do they have to wear their underwear on the street? 😯

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

why do they have to wear their underwear on the street?

if you got it flaunt it ??

DezB
    Free Member

Looks like I’d better avoid talking music with PP when I visit his gaff in July!! (I’ve only read this page and guessing that DrD’s quotes are his)
    I hadn’t actually heard any of her new stuff when I posted on the first page (edit: sorry,2nd page) – but I actually have to turn the radio off if her current single comes on. Its on a par with Black Lace, Birdy Song, Crazy Frog etc etc in the irritating stakes.
    This is an involuntary reaction. It makes me squirm.

BlingBling
    Free Member

CountZero

Some of you lot have NO idea about MOR if you think PP’s list comes under that heading. MOR is the likes of Cilla Black, Michael Bolton, Michael Ball, etc. Cypress Hill and Bjork are certainly NOT MOR. Anyone here actually listened to Medulla? It’s a pretty challenging album even for long-time Bjorn/Sugarcubes fans.

Joxster
    Free Member

She has talent, all be it with a hose pipe and a golf ball 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

is this thread still going??!!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 205 total)

The topic ‘does lily allen have any talent?’ is closed to new replies.