Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Does anyone else have a name for their bike?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Just wondering. I have a tendency to think of my Boardman road bike as 'Sandra'. Possibly because neither are particularly out of the ordinary (sorry to any Sandras out there!). Anyone else name their bike(s)?

Don't have a name for my MTB, but I think its a boy.

Jamie
    Free Member

Personally I think this is just wrong, wrong and wrong.

neil853
    Free Member

+1 for wrong, too much time springs to mind 🙄

hilldodger
    Free Member

'Green one' and 'Blue one' – never crossed my mind anyone would actually give a bike a name….

Pook

Mine's called specialized rockhopper. I like to think it's unique.

yunki
    Free Member

yes unfortunately… my last bike was 'Shanelle' after a former big brother contestant who I have absolutely no knowledge of other than a TV programme description that I saw in the paper of some spin-off show that had been created for her..

My 456 is 'Cheyenne' cos she kind of reminds me in some way of the legendary horse riding skills of that native American tribe.. (plus romantic notions of acient times.. I was always an indian.. NEVER a cowboy)

I'm building a rat/hack/pub creation at the moment that will have no name (other than insulting ones occasionally) so that the bike is depersonalised to create deep psychological problems for it..

oh dear.. I need to get out more innit.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Inbred, Pitch, Kona, Carerra. That's my 4! 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Mine's called specialized rockhopper. I like to think it's unique.

A mate has one called exactly the same thing. Weird!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I will from now on refer to my 456 as Dave.

Dave, because there no way a 456 is feminine and they're so common everyone knows of one (just like Dave).

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Mines called Shit

yunki
    Free Member

Hey.! I'm a Dave.. and I'm not… oh wait a minute

Driller
    Free Member

No. Just no!

It's just wrong, and it's weird. And wrong. Don't do it, you people make me uncomfortable, and you're not coming riding with me.

Weirdos naming their bikes, and it's almost always women's names too. Weird. Don't you know any real women or something?

Did I mention it's weird? Stop doing it now. And if you haven't started, well don't, that's all.

Admiralable
    Free Member

My Scale is Selina my oh's bike is Trev my new Trance is yet to be named

Jamie
    Free Member

The next step after giving your bike a female name…..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm

warton
    Free Member

I can maybe understand it if you're talking about a vintage Colnago, or an american boutique MTB.

But a Boardman? 😯 😯 😯

DezB
    Free Member

I did have a name for my Yeti when I first got it, cos I was all smitten. It soon wore off and seems a little embarrassing now. My kid liked it though.

adstick
    Free Member

I have my 'mountain bike', my '4x bike' and my 'red bike'

vinnyeh

One of mine is 'grezelda' cos that's what the f'ing welder had the cheek to name it. And it's etched on the headtube badge so I can't do much about it.

DWH
    Free Member

When a girl tells me her bicycle has a name I nod and smile politely. If a bloke does the same thing I explain to him that while I'm flattered by his attention I'm simply not into that kind of thing.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Mate has no name for his 5 but calls it she all the time and has even apologised to it. He also treats it with respect as opposed to taking it out and abusing it down some rough stuff.

MrsToast
    Free Member

The Professor (Stumpjumper) and Cletus (Inbred).

I have no shame!

cinnamon_girl

If I was to refer to my bike as a 'he', that would just be so wrong. 😆

My full suss was called 'the sofa'. I have one called 'mid-life crisis bike'.

nickf
    Free Member

The Nicolai is called The Clockwork Mouse because of the noise the Rohloff makes in certain gears.

The Kona Stab is The Flying Sofa

The 456 is…..The 456

The Turner is Dad's Bouncy Bike

All names supplied by my daughter, I hasten to add.

sssimon
    Free Member

i've had a tina, a penny, a roy, a frank, a brian and now a kendra

Ti29er
    Free Member

All bikes are female.
    If you've studied French (for example), you'd know this.

Mine are: 26er. 29er. Simple!

allthepies
    Free Member

birds thing innit.

lcj

Its name largely depends on how well it's working on a particular day.

Mechanical failures usually lead it to having two first names and a double-barrelled surname.

poppa
    Free Member

I am finding this thread very funny. Aside:

When a girl tells me her bicycle has a name I nod and smile politely. If a bloke does the same thing I explain to him that while I'm flattered by his attention I'm simply not into that kind of thing.

On this evidence, can I take it that you assume:

a) every single man who names his bike is gay

and

b) every single gay man is romantically interested in you?

cookeaa

The trouble with naming your bike is that, like with other things (animals, toasters, children, etc) once you’ve named it you start to from an emotional attachment to what is essentially just a collection of functional parts; metal, plastic and rubber. That way lies poor decisions when it comes time to ditch it, change parts or just move on…

None of the bikes have a name, but the car is called “Helga” because she’s German and a bit frumpy and it kind of suits…

footstomper
    Free Member

I don't have a name for any of my bikes but i do have my own name on my re-sprayed winter road bike 'Grumpys Bike' 👿

nedrapier

cookeaa – I'm emotionally attached to my bike, but that's because I like it and I've had it for a long time. I decided when I got it that if it did have a name it should be something inappropriate and flowery, so plumped for Samantha Dekerf. More than 99% of the time it's just "my bike".

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No I dont have a name for any of my bikes, although my road bike sometimes gets referred to as 'big red' or 'london bus'

Someone on SDH used to name all their Balfas with names like 'Betty', I just thought it sounded bent.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

The Mrs names bikes, cars etc. I try to resist but tbh it's a waste of time and I eventually find myself using them. I always feel a bit of a **** though so I figure I'm ok…

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I don't name my bikes (though sometimes my De Rosa just gets called Rosa). However, my housemate (who is a girl) has-

Bruce the Mongoose
    Lance the Lepoard print dirt jump bike
    Trevor the brown Kona
    Kyle the Trek

And a trials bike with some other daft name. Other names girls in our club have given their bikes include Tyler, Merlin, Juliet, Christine and Noreen.

Good. Grief.

(I'll add that my car is jokingly named Doris, though)

poppa
    Free Member

As a result of ths thread I may call my MTB Samantha from now on. Good call.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

I happened to buy a bike the day Sheldon Brown died.

It seemed appropriate to name that bike 'Sheldon'. Of all the bikes I've ever owned it was the only named one.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Neil853 – Don't you call yours Scott? 🙄

soulrider
    Free Member

My early 90's kona Lavadome was called Katie… (now a SS hack/pub bike)
    The '99 Explosif she was called Xantha.. (now broken after too much abuse)
    my 2K patriot was simply Patty.. (now broken after too much abuse)
    The Soul to replace Xantha never had a name.. but still a she .. (now broken after too much abuse)
    My 5 .. no name but she is definitley a She and she gets ridden hard and abused regularly.
    My Glory.. no name needed (see my 5 for what I do with her)

chakaping
    Free Member

Not really, but I did like to put an S in front of one of the words when referring to my old Big Hit – which I didn't like a lot.

And I can't help thinking my Charge hardtail actually says Bender on the downtube.

Matbike
    Free Member

the most part of people put a female name in their bikes. curious, cause me too. The Mrs Sara.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else have a name for their bike?’ is closed to new replies.