Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Does anyone get really freaked out by wet roots???
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I hate them with a passion. Dry roots – no problem, in fact fun to hop off.

tang
    Free Member

def lower pressures help a bit.

mimi123
    Free Member

ha ha ha

the faster you go the easier they will be

iainc

Dry roots – no problem

no dry roots here is Scotland very often, just gotta get used to it 😛

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

“Bit of weight on the fork” Jesus, anyone riding with their hands on the bars will have a bit weight on the fork! If you have a stigma to an obstacle your body language will put your balance and bike off. A more committed stance will see you through. Hence me also describing the unweighting of the bike.

Nope… sorry, still don’t understand that.

If you’re going to get the front of the bike over or unweight you want to be taking the weight off the front wheel. Unless you’re proposing a pogo-stick approach to negotiate trail hazards? 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s the ones you don’t notice that get you.

amodicumofgnar

Dont ride them enough to have learnt how deal with them.

nickc

Blimey.

Come to the Chilterns. Encounter them every ride. Spot the exit, speed is your friend, keep it light. I’d do no riding otherwise…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Letting pressure out did seem to help!

Jedi – I always listen – just remembering all the good advice is where I struggle 😉

jedi

just email me and ask as i tell all my riders 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

OK. Cheers!

lowey

My Nemesis. After a particularly nasty fall on ice a few years ago, anything that now looks remotely slippery (wet rock, roots, snow) has me mincing like a girl.

I;m a reasonable rider in dry conditions but when the wet stuff comes I go to pieces. Although last winter helped me a lot as I had no choice but to go out in it.

I can offer no advise as, no matter what I tell myself, I tense up seeing something slippy and just have an image of me being slammed hard into the floor and the front wheel washes out with alarming speed.

rOcKeTdOg

after reading this i ended up riding the wettest offcamber downhill roots on any of my local trails 🙄
    one ripped kneewarmer and a gashed leg resulted 😕

hora
    Free Member

I dabbed on a steep bit over polished roots (mind you it was the tiniest dab known to man). The next you know I’d headbutted the roots in question! Matey found that hilarious (mind you he laughs at anything).

Still doesn’t bother me. Its if you feel the steering wheel go light if you are potentially aqua-planning in a car – just relax.

Moonhead
    Free Member

Always make me nervous but just try to hit em straight on and hope for the best….sometimes works 😉

popstar
    Free Member

Bushwacked, thought it was a time to ride together in Surrey this Sunday?

nickf
    Free Member

Low pressure/sticky tyres, kneepads and speed are the ideal combination. Perfect in the Alps during the summer.

Wintertime’s not so good: I ride Trailrakers in the Chlterns at 45psi. I tend to fall off a lot.

wwaswas

the tiniest dab known to man

both feet on the ground but straddling the top tube?

richmtb

They freak me out too. I’m slowly getting better, practise is key. Keep your head up and your heels down seems to be about the best advice I’ve heard

MrNutt
    Free Member

a bit of speed, try and get a line to hit them at right angles and keep your chin up with an eye on your exit.

the last time I got “rooted” I was night riding alone, in the wet through the woods and I went from hammering down a slope with no major concerns on it, to sailing sideways and turning 90 degrees through the air whilst stopping myself by applying my face to the mud. Unhurt just a bit shaken, laughed all the way home 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Not me – my formative riding years were at QE Country Park, which is just a root fest! So I learned to ride the buggers in the wettest weather.
    Off camber ones are a matter of aiming high, unweighting and crossing at speed (something like that anyway).
    I did bust my neck due to the off camber roots on the final downhill section on a very wet day. But I blame that on the demo-bike having summer tyres! (and a bit of showing off to other demo riders 😳 )

wwaswas

I did bust my neck due to the off camber roots on the final downhill section on a very wet day

Well, that’s me reassured, anyway.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, that’s me reassured, anyway.
    😆
    Happy to help!

Oranj
    Free Member

Try riding aston hill after a cloud burst, :twisted:that will teach you to ride in the wet…

Jeez, I went over there this morning. I’ve not ridden there before and it’s been dry most of the week, so despite some overnight rain I thought I’d give it a punt. I have never had so many offs and near-misses! The bits that weren’t covered in roots were slippy chalk.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m a wee bit upset… I’ve always loved wet roots.. a joyous slippery slithery challenge.. the sudden and severe sideways plunge.. what fun.. I never even contemplated for one second that anyone would see them as anything other than a right good trail obstacle..

I’ve lost a little bit of faith after reading this..

GW
    Free Member

+1 yunki

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Don’t do the pie run at GT in the rain!

A fully tree covered armoured trail designed specifically with quick drainage in mind and grippy compacted hardpack placed in between every pathetic little root they’ve strategically left in for you?
    FFS! get out in the real world and find some proper root sections to worry about!

Kevevs
    Free Member

no, i don’t like ’em. suppose you can slip and hurt yerself. oh well. try and not hurt yorself innit?

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone get really freaked out by wet roots???’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM