Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Does anybody use a Jetboil here?
  • franksinatra

I like tea. I like Coffee. I like hot food, I like a little luxury.

Thinking about getting a Jetboil to replace trangia for small walking expeditions,(training DofE groups etc) I also quite like the ides of hot drinks during day rides when I wouln't bother taking a flask.

Does anyone have a Jetboil and what do you think of it? Worth the money for the speed of boiling or do you miss the ability to cook gourmet food with different pots and pans? Does it fit in a M.U.L.E for day rides?

Ta

jordie
    Free Member

I have had on for a year now and i think its brilliant.It is amazing what
    you can cook in the pot that comes with it,you will be stunned at the boil time.It would fit in a mule with the smallest of gas cans but i don

t

t really make any difference to the boil time.My friend also has a coleman F1 i think its called it is also v good and packs pretty small for carrying around.

flatfish
    Free Member

I've had one for a little over a year now and whilst it's brilliant at boiling water quick i find it a tad limiting on cooking "gourmet" food, if your out for an all day expedition i'd probably take a small alky stove that boils in around 7-8 minutes with a slightly fatter pot than a 2 minute boil in a tall narrow pot that concentrates the heat in a small area. 5-6 minutes difference is nothing if your out all day.
    That said, it is extremely good for boil in the bag stuff/rehydrated stuff.
    check out shug emery on you tube, he tests loads of different stoves and makes it entertaining at the same time.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've had mine for a while and thing it's a great bit of kit. It has it's limitations however, as mentioned above, you need to be aware what it's good at and what it's not. I tend to use it for army surplus boil-in-the-bag meals and for hot drinks and it's great for those. I've done pasta and pasta with sauce in it but it needs care not to burn and isn't the easiest to clean afterwards.

I tend to only use it for solo outings (or trips where I'm only cooking for myself) and use a Pocket Rocket if I'm cooking for two of us.

I've got a few of the lightweight alcohol stoves and while they work fine I only use them for ultra-light overnight trips. On longer trips I think the Jetboil or Pocket Rocket are worth the extra size & weight.

TooTall
    Free Member

A few of the Army lads use them and like them – but mostly around making brews and heating up ration pack food.

For a day ride, I'd be hard pushed to beat the modern technology of a 'flask'.

mattbee

Echo other's comments. Great for brews and rat pack type scran but not for owt else. Unless you buy the frying pan they do with a flux ring on it, then it's speedy bacon and egg time!!!
    There is a coffe press thingy to clip on too, not used it myself but could be interesting.
    The only place mine has let me down in any way was close to the summit of Tryfan in Feb in 50odd mile per hour gusts, took a good 5 min to boil!

epicsteve
    Free Member

There is a coffe press thingy to clip on too, not used it myself but could be interesting.

I've seen some reports that it's not all that reliable so instead of buying one of those I bought an MSR MugMate and that works well.

mr_whacky
    Free Member

i can vouch that the coffee press for the jet boil being 'a bit rubbish'. Actually, ive found it to be 'a lot rubbish'

As others – have used jetboil mostly for water/drinks and dehydrated foodstuffs.

usually pack a pocket rocket and small lightwieght pan set if im going to require more than that and/or theres more than 1 person. with a little maksehift windbreak its only about a 60-90 secs extra boiling time than the jetboil!

my 2c

Scootash
    Free Member

Had one for a while. The 100g can lasts for ages. Perfect for hot drinks as it's so quick. I've cooked pasta in mine by bringing it to the boil and
    then turning it off – it stays hot enough to keep cooking.

I still use a flask though.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I used one on the coast to coast a couple of years ago,the only thing I had problems with is it is very top heavy when full,A fold out stand would be great if theres no rocks, or a way of keeping it upright when its windy etc.

Great bit of kit imo,go for the bigger size.

franksinatra

I used one on the coast to coast a couple of years ago,the only thing I had problems with is it is very top heavy when full,A fold out stand would be great if theres no rocks, or a way of keeping it upright when its windy etc.

Like one of these?

Jetboil Stand

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Sold mine, the piezo ignition is a known failing point, and they are lousy at high altitude, which was the final reason I ebayed it. Now use a MSR Ti Kettle, with a tiny Optimus Crux stove, the folding one, package is smaller and lighter. The Crux is also a more controllable flame, rather than on/off of the jetboil.

Dave
    Free Member

Had one a while now, used mainly for brewing up. Coffeepress is "okay".

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Cheaper option for the stand to suppport a jetboil is the one by primus

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Does anybody use a Jetboil here?’ is closed to new replies.