Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Does anybody have a nice road route from Stockport (or Manchester) to Anglesey?
  • barca
    Free Member

I can't find anything already drafted on Bikely and the AA route planner without motorways sends me down that hideously horrible for cycling coast road.
    If I get no joy here I'll have to take it on the chin and ask on Bike Radar. I'd try on Road CC but hardly anybody replies.
    Thanks very much

ourmaninthenorth

Reckon the touring section of bikeradar might elicit a reply. that is, if they're not all busy outside measuring the length of their beards and judging which shade of beige sock goes best with their sandals… 🙂

Hmm. Come to think of it, I think I know someone who rode out to NW Wales (from Mcr). Let me see, and I'll come back to you.

In exchange, I need a route from Manchester to Cardigan. Any ideas?

ourmaninthenorth

OK, not sure if you can see this link (maybe you can view, you won't be able to post): Manchester Wheeler's forum – route to Abersoch

If not, this is the route the chap created: Chester to Abersoch

So, it's not Angelsey, but it does begin with "A" and it is in NW Wales. Surely that's good enough for any man….!

barca
    Free Member

Abersoch? Have you ever been? The place is mostly inhabited at the weekend by Poynton and Bramhall pillocks with jet skis and Get Off My Beach placards.
    I was down in South Wales on Monday. Should have still been there. Never mind.
    Thanks for the route stuff Tom.
    I rode down to Bristol a while a go via Stoke, Wolverhampton and Gloucester. That was a nice route. I'd go that way and turn right at Bristol? Not much use that, is it?

ourmaninthenorth

No, I've never been Steve. Given that I work with such types (and might otherwise be mistaken for one on a spiffing day), I might go in and check it out under cover. The chapo who put the route together is called Charles, mind, so that probably explains quite a lot.

I'm off to the Breacons this weekend. For a wedding. No bikes allowed. Grr.

I think heading to Brizzle's a bit far south for Cardigan, though it would make a nice trip (Wolverhampton notwithstanding!).

It must be my age, but the idea of this sort of riding appeals more and more….

whytetrash

From Prestatyn onwards there's a coastal cycle path thats great…just getting here thats a bit busy!

barca
    Free Member

thanks whytetrash, I'll have a look at that.

barca
    Free Member

thanks whytetrash, I'll have a look at that.

clwydrider
    Free Member

If you are on Bikely reverse my Halkyn to Chesterfield route, I'd think you could pick it up around Northwich. Chester can be tricky though, then when you get to Flint you can pick up NCR5 which takes you all the way to Bangor, horrible climb out of Bagillt to Brynford Common but nice route apart from that. Good LBS just off the route (500yds) at Holywell if you need anything, loads of cafes along the coastal path from Pensarn(careful in the toilets if your wearing lycra!) to Rhos on Sea.
    Should make a great day.

IHN

I rode down to Bristol a while a go via Stoke, Wolverhampton and Gloucester. That was a nice route.

Well, you did take in all the most beautiful places 😕

gonetothehills
    Free Member

What about getting on the Cheshire Cycleway (route 70) to Chester? You may have to come a bit south from Stockport to get on it (towards Alderley Edge maybe and out that way?) I'll go look now for a link, but the bits of it that I've ridden have been really nice. Not sure what to do after Chester though…!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Actually – it wasn't very hard to find… there's a website for it. 🙂

Maybe come across towards the airport and join it to the west of that? I've not done that section, but the route around Macc is superb – it certainly takes the best and quietest roads in the area.]

Have fun – cool trip to do.

MartynS

Abersoch? Have you ever been? The place is mostly inhabited at the weekend by Poynton and Bramhall pillocks with jet skis and Get Off My Beach placards.

last time I was there it was full of plastic scousers making the place look untidy….

nbt

last time I was there it was full of plastic scousers making the place look untidy….

mostly inhabited at the weekend by Poynton and Bramhall pillocks

Sounds about right 😆

barca
    Free Member

Some great routes there chaps, thanks. I have to ride home the next day as well so I think I'll do two different routes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Does anybody have a nice road route from Stockport (or Manchester) to Anglesey?’ is closed to new replies.