Viewing 28 posts - 201 through 228 (of 228 total)
  • Do you like where you live?
  • richardkennerley

I live in Blackpool, which technically is a dump. Parts of it are rough as arseholes but, I like my house. I like the fact there’s a bridleway right opposite my house which leads to a nice network of walks that take in the local nature reserve, the zoo, the park and my workplace. My wife works a 10min walk away as well. There loads of nice places nearby like Lytham and there’s no shortage of stuff to do like the tower, the park, the pleasure beach etc’. We’re an hour from the lakes, Manchester, Liverpool, Yorkshire dales.

On the other hand, I’d love to have decent riding from my door and I’d love to have a decent boozer at the end of my road.

ste_t
    Free Member

Bath is a stunning place and we have the best views from the top of the hill next to our house.

Unfortunately we’ll never be able to afford to buy a house here – 3 bed mid terrace, next door sold this time last year for £380k. 42% of all the property sold in Bath last year was folk moving out of London so it’s driving up the already mental prices.

No barbeque places here and was in the mood today so £8 got me a train return to Bristol to go to Spitfire. Everything Bath doesn’t have is easily accessible nearby.

ebikegum

Moved up to the Lakes almost 10 years ago from the Midlands. Don’t regret the move at all. Live in Windermere away from the hordes with open fells on th door step and Lake Windermere a 10 minute walk away. Great cycling for me, both mtb and road, but less good for the family due to the hills.

Negatives? Stupid house prices and stupid house prices and cost of eating out.

yiman
    Free Member

I thought I was reasonably happy with where I lived until I read with increasing jealousy through this thread!

Beeston, Nottingham – nice local community feel, lots of pubs, independent coffee shops and eateries within 10 minutes walk.  10 minutes drive to the M1.  Mainline train station – 1h30 to London or 1 hour to Matlock.  1 hour drive to Peak District.  Not much more than 2 hours drive to a large proportion of the country.

More riding from the doorstep and a nice house with lots more land might be nice but it’s a great area for young kids.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Sarf Downs near Eastbourne, lovely riding both off road and road(if you go out on the levels).  Only wish we had some igneous rock to ride on when the chalk is at its green slimy worst

mrhoppy

Live in Shrewsbury, work is a 10 minute walk, shops and town centre are walking distance. Can ride from the door, short drive opens up awesome riding for an evening, day rides put all of mid and north Wales in range.  Musn’t grumble.

CBA to read all the humble (or not so humble) bragging in this thread, but yeah. I live in the Derbyshire Dales, have riding from my door, the Peak is a spit away, have some good local boozers and there are always mates about if I want a drink/catch up. There are certainly much, much nicer/posher/scenic places in the world to live, but the mates do it for me

hardtailonly

North Leeds. Like the city (inasmuch as I like big built up places) and the local area is nice enough. Plenty going on. East coast, Yorkshire Dales, Moors and Lake District all within a couple of hours drive, or, going South, the Peaks etc.

Great for riding. Lots and lots of trail options from the door, from mellow to techy XC. Quite a ‘green’ city in that it’s possible to get most places without too much riding on nasty busy roads, if you choose your route creatively, using wedges of woodland, parks, canal paths and traffic free cycle routes.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Probably my favourite place in the world and I’ve visted well on my way to half the countries. But when I lived in Bristol 80s, that was one of my favourite cities and I’d seen many. When I lived in London, early 90s I thought just right for a few years. Mid Devon, late 90s was good but East Devon, yes I do like living here.

northernsoul

I love where we live but I’ll end up back with Northernsoul in Durham which is still ‘home’ for me.

Ha – we might pass somewhere along the way (I’m originally from N. Yorks and still go back regularly to see family/friends). Don’t see me leaving here for a while yet though…

TiRed

Live next door to the Queen. She likes it and do do I. Silly expensive but the tourists mean great shops for such a modest size town. Lots of parks (thanks to said majesty) and open spaces but no sea. Must like planes.

Yes I like it. But will away to the sea and the sky one day…

And unless you live in central London, please don’t moan about house prices! Well never own all of our home.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yes. I live in Edinburgh’s old town in my own two bedroom flat with a roof terrace and beer taps in the kitchen. Edinburgh (and Scotland) is a great place to live.

While the festival gets tiresome, I can make lots of money renting my flat/room. Enough to go on holiday for a month.

Still, 20 years in the same flat in a city centre means I am thinking of moving to the countryside. Will see where work takes me. Peebles hopefully!

monksie
    Free Member

The four Heatons (Heaton Moor, Heaton Mersey, Heaton Norris and Heaton Chapel) are not in South Manchester, they’re in Stockport, Cheshire. Don’t know why that bugged me so much but it did.

Love where we live. Small village on the very edge of the Peak District. I rarely, if ever drive and the cycling to work or out to play is superb. My wife and daughter don’t ride much, if at all so every journey is by car for them. It’s a long way to Manchester and they’re getting fed up with the drive. My wife works in Central Manchester and my daughter is at university there. I had a missed called from a local estate agents yesterday. Think we might be moving, I’ll see if they can go without me.

Marin
    Free Member

Not any more so moving. Currently in Liverpool. Came back for a year 8 years ago. Great city, stuff going on all the time. Lakes and Wales couple of hours either direction. Parts of it are a dump and people get shot but I don’t live in them only work there in the day when baddies are asleep. Moving over the water next year for house redevelopment, beaches on doorstep, can cobble together 40ish mile rides mostly off road. Move again the year after to somewhere else. Haven’t decided where yet but must have sea and mountains close by.

Garry_Lager

The four Heatons (Heaton Moor, Heaton Mersey, Heaton Norris and Heaton Chapel) are not in South Manchester, they’re in Stockport, Cheshire. Don’t know why that bugged me so much but it did.

You insist Charlestown is Charlesworth and you think Stockport is in Cheshire – I’d pipe down with the geography lessons if I were you Monksie lad. The Heatons are in Gr Manchester.

monksie
    Free Member

We’re both wrong then. While Heaton Moor etc are no longer in Cheshire, they’re definitely in Stockport and no matter how you’d like to phrase it, they’re not in South Manchester. Just as the area of Stockport that I grew up in, Offerton, is not in South Manchester. Anyway, I have some geography to read up on.

monksie
    Free Member

Besides which Charlesworth is exactly where I said it was.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Good and bad.  Nice general area but its being spoiled by you lot and your bikes :). Its the FoD and the influx of people in the last couple of decades hasn’t improved it any.  To much building on greenfield sites and gradually the villages and towns are joining up.  If all this can be ignored its fine. Easy to travel and reasonably central.

bluerich

Mile an’arf from the Peak park, so easy access to Derwent Ridge/Strines/Stanage. Just spoiled by helmetless goons on mx’osser’s ‘from over the fence’

RustySpanner

Burnley.
    I might be odd, but I love it. 🙂

Right on the southern edge next to the Pennine Bridleway.

Nice house with good views and a decent front and back garden – quiet estate.

Burnley has pretty much everything you need. It’s the friendliest place I’ve lived and people have a deserved pride in the place.
    It’s clean, traffic’s fine, amazing countryside, new investment, lots of clean green space, the place is on the up.

Easy access to the Dales, Manchester, Lakes, Northumberland, North Wales.

Compared to the area of Manchester I grew up in, even the ‘rough’ bits are like Toytown.

Great access to healthcare, reasonable public services.

Only issue is the racial segregation. It’s quite a divided community, but not as bad as people make out.

Noticeably much, much nicer than the surrounding towns.
    Can’t rate the place highly enough tbh.

RustySpanner

6 months old eh?

I swear this was on the front page….

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Yes. Co.Down in N.Ireland. Beautiful part of the world, with plenty of biking and hiking spots.

Marin
    Free Member

Had enough of it now so moving tomorrow.

fatoldgit

Lol…. seeing as I posted on another thread about my Town thought I’d comment on this resseructed thread

Live in Harrogate and have done for over 40 years.
    It’s OK, has a lot going for it, but is missing a lot as well.

No kids so can’t comment on quality of schools but they do make traffic noticeably busier than during holidays.
    Being a conference and tourism town there are way more places to eat out than a town of its size can expect. And seems to be a continual cycle of some premises opening, going bust and repeat under a new name.
    Generally VERY low crime rate, with the odd exception which makes headlines in the local rag.

Another good point ( for me ) is the proximity of Leeds, gigs, shopping, etc way better and easy to get to.

thegreatape
    Free Member

No, it’s a shithole. Can’t wait to leave.

tjagain

Edinburgh – leith to be exact. Its not perfect – local shopping is poor but I have fantastic 360 degree views from my flat, its a very interesting and quirky building ( listed), and apart from shopping the location is fantastic.

Edinburgh has everything you need in a city plus you can escape it easily

I have been here more than 25 years tho – some ground floor storage and maybe a garden when I retire would be good

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Used to really like our local area but in the last 2 years there’s been a massive surge in moped gangs, burglary, muggings of kids and adults by kids and a whole load of other crime and antisocial behaviour. It’s enough for me to want to move as I don’t want my young family to be exposed to it. Also for the first time in 20+ years I don’t feel at all safe walking round at night or cycling my road bike on local roads.

handybar
    Free Member

I live down south in the home counties, my main problem is how reserved the people are, I find I’m always starting and trying to keep conversations going. It’s exhausting, plus it makes people very hard to read. I’m from an Irish background so I feel a fish out of water here.

Viewing 28 posts - 201 through 228 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘Do you like where you live?’ is closed to new replies.