Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Do you have any HMV vouchers? You might want to spend them ASAP
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

HMV. Where did it all go wrong? Well, I reckon the rot set in when they failed to tackle the rise of the music download and instead pretty much shunned music. HMV stores used to be about 90% music.You used to be able to wander in, have a browse and walk out with that obscure scandinavian thrash metal band’s latest limited edition gatefold double CD with the piccolo solo.

Now, the music seems to be confined to the highly marketed manufactured pop nonsense or bargain basement reissues of 30 year old albums you’ve already got. Browsing the music has lost its appeal.

And then there’s the seemingly hundreds of thousands on DVDs and BluRays. Well, HMV, we’re all watching stuff on demand now, so that’s screwed as well. Lots and lots of top price new releases available for a fraction of the price via your TV. So, what do they do, prop it up with bargain basement reissues of 30 year old films you’ve already got / watched a zillion times.

So what else can they be. I know an electrical retailer! Hang on, that sector ain’t exactly the cash cow now is it? I might have a quick look at their overpriced novelty speakers that look like they belong in a nursery, or maybe some of the latest ‘look at me’ headphones. Do I buy anything? No I don’t, ‘cos I’m all grown up now (although some may dispute this!).

So, it looks like it’s probably RIP for HMV, as shame ‘cos it used to be an OK place to shop.

Having said that, it was nowhere near as good as the legendary ‘Shades’ in St Annes Court, just off Wardour Street in London. Now that was a proper record shop!

drlex
    Free Member

legendary ‘Shades’ in St Annes Court

Yup; if I hadn’t spent my money in “Dark they were & Golden-eyed” in the same place.

brooess
    Free Member

Just to say thanks to Cheesyfeet for the original PSA – I was given a £40 voucher for Xmas so I made sure I got in there on Saturday morning and spent it!
    With 25% off I got 6 albums for my £40. All good 🙂

An interesting sign for me about the changing nature of music formats is that I’ve had a separates system and CDs since the early 90’s because I always wanted the best sound quality I could get. Not a massive hi-fi buff but ‘bothered’ about sound quality. For the last year I’ve been running Bose PC speakers through my laptop and iTunes and more than happy with the sound quality, in exchange for the lack of CDs in my lounge and easy accessibility of my tunes through iTunes.

So even a semi hi-fi buff prefers downloads and a PC… hard formats are dead IMO.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member
    mboy
    Free Member

Is it just me that feels more than a little bit upset about this?

OK, I’m looking back to the late 90’s, when HMV was in its heyday, but I will miss it. Yes, I can confidently say I’ve spent maybe £50 inside the last 2 years with HMV, but there was a point when I spent at least £50 a week with them!

I can see how its failed, the business model hasn’t lent itself well to changing buying habits for music and film, but I’m still a little bit sad. Also hope Fopp survives, as though they’re few and far between, they are an awesome store for picking up a few bargains!

timc
    Free Member
    Drac

It’s been struggling for years barely hanging in and not changed anything. I pre-ordered Skyfall from their website as they had an offer on and doing an exclusive box. Guess I’m going elsewhere now then.

Northwind

I think it’s a shame, but then I only bought massively discounted box sets from them so I’m hardly in a position to complain. Only us old folks still buy CDs.

druidh
    Free Member

I still buy CDs (online) – they are often cheaper than the downloads.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

You can use your vouchers in Anne Summers. They must be looking for new customers to spend there Xmas gifts in store. Glad I bought all the youngsters I tunes vouchers instead 🙂

Dark-Side

piedi di formaggio – Member
    Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Debenhams. Far too many sales/offers all the time

POSTED 11 HOURS AGO #

Nope, Debenhams are doing well, their strongest performance in some time.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Announcement just now – HMV not accepting gift cards or vouchers

Hopefully this will change, but oh dear. Much grimness on the high street

hora
    Free Member

Oh. Please protect Fopp.

cheers_drive

I reckon Argos is next. Buying stuff from a laminated book of dreams just doesn’t make sense in the internet age.

I work it retail marketing / point of sale and I am wondering where this is going to end up. Can we really live without the bricks and mortar stores even if it’s just for checking things out before buying online?

hora
    Free Member

I reckon Argos is next

Have you ever seen a quiet Argos store?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

This can’t really be good at all long term. The likes of Amazon wade in and sell at such low prices that it puts it’s competition out of business. Once it has no competition, where is the incentive to sell cheap?

Pigface
    Free Member

Shades 😆 a regular place of pilgrimage.

What are the chances of Britain getting kicked out of the SDR, guy in work reckons that interest rates will rocket if that happens. Possibility of it happening in 2015???

Jamie
    Free Member

I reckon Argos is next. Buying stuff from a laminated book of dreams just doesn’t make sense in the internet age.

I think Argos is more protected than most, as they do not risk/suffer becoming a showroom for internet only retailers like Jessops/Comet did. Also, what they sell can’t be replaced like a CD could, via internet downloads, which is what happened to HMV’s core product.

Edit: This could all be nonsense, though.

binners

According to Five Live this morning, the MD of HMV was informed a good few years ago by one of his managers that he faced 3 huge threats to the business. Digital downloads, online retailers and supermarkets.

His reply: “I’ve never heard such rubbish in my life!”

And there you have it.

I reckon Argos is next.

Yip. A mate works for them and they’re all bracing themselves for the worst. Its all looking pretty grim!

the-muffin-man

Once it has no competition, where is the incentive to sell cheap?

There is always competition from somewhere – always someone wanting a slice of the action.

Re HMV – it was only 10 to 15 years ago when HMV, Virgin and the like were the bad boys of the high street. Their ‘new fangled’ Mega Stores put lots of small independent record shops out of business.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I reckon Argos is next.
    Yip. A mate works for them and they’re all bracing themselves the worst. Its all looking pretty grim!

I’ve been thinking it for years, sadly. It’s an old, outdated business that can’t really change. I just walk past and think it looks tatty.

I reckon one of the big DIY stores too, Wickes maybe. There’s just never anyone in the one in Farnborough.

organic355
    Free Member

Are the shops shut as of today? Or likely to be a flash sale to
    Clear stock???

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

They started a sale on Saturday – 25% off pretty much everything

binners

If Comet are anything to go by, its looking like the days of Fire Sales are gone too.

By the sounds of it HMV owed an awful lot of money to its suppliers. And they’ll all be looking for their stuff back before the funeral. In fact, I reckon most of them would have been outside the stores before sunrise this morning with a fleet of trucks!

zokes
    Free Member

Re HMV – it was only 10 to 15 years ago when HMV, Virgin and the like were the bad boys of the high street. Their ‘new fangled’ Mega Stores put lots of small independent record shops out of business.

Indeed. Last year they put the final nail in one of the best record shops in North Wales’ coffin – COB Records. It’s a pity to see HMV go, but as someone who liked many of the independent shops they forced out of business, it’s somewhat schadenfreudesque to see them being pushed over by even bigger market forces

seba560
    Free Member

What’s happened to Cob? They’re still going in Porthmadog, aren’t they?

organic355
    Free Member

25% pah, that’s not a sale!!

hora
    Free Member

it’s somewhat schadenfreudesque to see them being pushed over by even bigger market forces

I’d laugh with you however I’ve encountered alot of HMV staff who genuinely have a shared passion for music and film.

I hope its saved.

footflaps

Is it just me that feels more than a little bit upset about this?

Personally I’ve been in HMV once in the last 5 years and that was just to buy the Military Wives single for the OH. I went online, music-wise, years ago and don’t buy physical media any more.

hora
    Free Member

When WHSmiths has gone, where will I go off man-wandering?

dooosuk
    Free Member

What ever happened to ‘Andys Records’?

Been a long time coming. Not a shop I’ll miss either.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Xbox720 & PS4 later this year, no physical drives on them. That will be the end of Game as well.

binners

When WHSmiths has gone, where will I go off man-wandering?

Sale Water Park?

hora
    Free Member

Xbox720 & PS4 later this year, no physical drives on them.

Oh really?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

damn it, only saw this thread yesterday and was off to spend my Christmas vouchers this morning, ahh

sad, the HMV on Oxford Street has always been a stop on a shopping trip, having said that the last few years have always come out empty handed.

piemonster

‘Andys Records’?

Bloody hell, I remember them

I also remember them being awful, even back in the day.

footflaps

I used to shop there all the time in Cambridge in the 80s. Parrot records was also a favourite haunt….

cat69uk
    Free Member

Hora,

Xbox rumour is strong at no drive, Sony less so as it is an easy way to push Bluray.

zokes
    Free Member

What’s happened to Cob? They’re still going in Porthmadog, aren’t they?

Yeah, I think so. Bangor and Porthmadog COB split a very long time ago, so Porthmadog were’t connected by the time Bangor shut

I’d laugh with you however I’ve encountered alot of HMV staff who genuinely have a shared passion for music and film.

Agreed. (p.s. note the “somewhat” in my sentence)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andys_Records

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’d heard that next X-Box will have a Blu-Ray in it

Andy’s records, yep remember them.

Also remember buying in Parrot Records and the legendary Adrians in Wickford

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Do you have any HMV vouchers? You might want to spend them ASAP’ is closed to new replies.