Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)
  • Do most STW ers now own a road /cx bike?
  • mtbel
    Free Member

View not quite good enough?
    scared of traffic?
    scared of mud?
    scared of cold?
    scared to wear lycra?
    scared of a quick handling bike and perectly adequate brakes ???
    scared to even try it?

Wow! I feel sorry for you. 😥

All the “it’s dull” comments here are actually quite funny! road riding is only as dull as the rider chooses to make it. I can only imagine how RAD you guys must get when trundling around on your shiny mud free mtbs. 😆

Northwind

I had a nice cross bike, liked it, it did its job really well (ie, it was a bit like a mountain bike, only terrible, ad turned every bump and corner into an adventure.). But it was the first to go when I decided to make some space in the garage, just because of usage. I miss it though

Road bike, I didn’t take to, so I ended up building a very quick hybrid instead, just prefer the bars and riding position and being able to use mtb parts. But I use it the same as I used the road bike, I’d be happy doing anything on it that you “need” a road bike for.

mtbel
    Free Member

No you wouldn’t.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve steered well clear of this thread, until now 😐

Ex Pro Roadie here so yes Roadies have been a huge part of my life, then I stopped and hated the bloody things.. However I never lost the fun of MTB’ing so throughout that “racing lark” I gave up I always had an MTB, Kleins/Marin Team Tits etc. then moving to Scalpels and Niners so you get the style of riding I’ve been doing for what? 25 years (give or take)

However about 7 years ago an ex Pro mate came to stay and brought a Roadie with him for us to go riding and sod it if I didn’t bloody love it again.. Damn him and his Orca.. 😆 It then progressed to me buying through a range of Roadies and that will continue until I fall off and die.

I’ve met some amazing folks riding, Roadies in the main have been the most pleasant IMO and that suits my mentality. Suits my personality if you see what I mean. Meeting one person in particular who I’m very good mates with now who said to me once, and I’ve never forgotten it “choose a bike for the conditions you intend to ride it on, conditions that are closest to your front door” Wise words.

So I have a couple of Roadies, I have a CX’er and I have a SS 29’er it sums up the conditions and places I both choose to ride and love riding. I ride flat chat everywhere, I like bikes that are lithe, fast, light and a blast to rideout on. So for me my choices are fulfilled.

I don’t like DH, I admire folks that ride it, I can’t ride DH fast I just don’t have the bottle. I don’t ride Trail Centers (although have been to Winlatter/Dalby/Stainburn/QECP) on the CX’er but choose to ride in the expanse of this Country and not restrict where I ride to a few places, far too many lovely places I’ve yet to go too and a full on 160mm FS would be lost on me.

However I still consider buying a Bronson or Nomad or Tallboy LTc or the normal one or a Niner Jet RDO. Every time I’m in Harrogate I take a trip over to Stif to oggle and get that twinge I love getting when looking at bikes and should my location change from the bumps of the Sth Downs to that of the Lumps of Yorkshire I’ll stick with fast and light.

But something with 120-140mm FS that’s light and sparky could find a place here in my quiver, I have an idea of what I would like MTB’ish but not here, not on the Coast.

Xylene
    Free Member

CX when I moved to my new job.

Have a steel bike still in the UK, sold my FS before leaving the UK a few years back, regret it still.

CX does an amazing job for me here, can ride a decent distance up the hills, deals with the rough back roads, and can do some off road.

Biggest issue I have is I still throw it around like a mountain bike and scare myself every so often bunny hopping a bump and landing it badly.

I want a fat bike, just for the fun of it, but my CX is doing me great.

I do really want to get carbon wheels, but that is just because I can’t help but upgrade.

D0NK

This. I cycle because I enjoy it, and I am aware that I am crap at it

you don’t need to be good to compete. I’ve done a few races/events and haven’t had a hope in hell of top twenty never mind winning it. Every race needs losers/also rans. Fighting for position 153 can still be a good laugh. Give it a try you might just like it.

On the road bikes is dull thing

it’s one of the flavours of riding most difficult to justify*, once you’ve counted the universal cycling stuff, getting out in our gorgeous countryside, bit of exercise, etc all you’ve got** is the perverse (hurting yourself) and the **** bollocks (purity). I personally get it, clocked up a few hundred road miles myself last year, but trying to explain it to a cynic you run into difficulty quite quick. Kinda like singlespeeding, you either get it or you don’t and actually trying it is the best way to decide which.

*but maybe that’s due to me being primarily an MTBer
    **which makes the roadie CX haters (especially roadies who presumably also MTB) kind of amusing

brooess
    Free Member

10 years ago I had s/s mtb, hardtail, full suss and one road bike. They were all being ridden regularly.
    I now have a hardtail, a s/s road commuter, winter road bike and summer road bike.
    I got tired of the expense and time taken to go MTBing but when I do it now I still love it and wish I had more time in my life so I could ride road and MTB.
    I’m the unofficial MTB secretary in my road club so likely to be doing more MTB this year.

From a political point of view, more people riding road is good. MTBs are hidden in the woods and for people who don’t mind a bit of risk and danger so it tends to remain a minority sport.
    More people riding road puts cycling into the public conciousness, makes it much more visible and makes it much more normal as a form of day to day transport. IMO the increase in people riding road bikes is what is driving the UK cycling revolution. MTB can’t and hasn’t done that.

All bikes are good tho 🙂

Northwind

mtbel – Member

No you wouldn’t.

OK let’s rephrase- I’d be happy doing anything on it that you “need” a road bike for, that I would do if I had a road bike. The fact that it’s flatbarred makes no difference to me over a road bike in other words. Other than that I like riding it

ahwiles
    Free Member

brooess – Member
    the increase in people riding road bikes is what is driving the UK cycling revolution.

…the whatnow?

imnotverygood

Given the boom in the number of people riding road bikes compared with the relative decline in mountain bikes, it seems that an awful lot of people enjoy riding on Tarmac. Can’t be that dull. Having said that, I donn’t think you ever get that thrill a minute feeling you get off-road.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s more of a zen thing.

but seriously, you see a lot more of the world on a road bike: riding from home (sheffield) on my mtb might get me as far as stanage – there’s lots of fun to be had along the way, but i’ve hardly ventured outside S10.

riding from home on my road bike can take me to Staffordshire before lunchtime.

mtbel
    Free Member

once you’ve counted the universal cycling stuff, getting out in our gorgeous countryside, bit of exercise, etc all you’ve got is the perverse (hurting yourself) and the **** bollocks (purity). I personally get it

Do you though? I’m not so sure you do.

what about descending less than perfect roads wearing only lycra with no helmet, knee pads or other mtb nonsense at 50mph+?
    what about hitting corners at just the right speed, you know.. perfect entry speed, line and you feel your tyres just on the edge of letting go and if you even touch your brake you’ll be off the road?
    What about chasing and drafting a bus on the flat, face 2 feet from the back at 40mph+ spinning out while concentrating on it’s brake light and where you are with no line of sight.
    or simply buzzing through busy traffic, overtaking cars, riding in a fast bunch, riding fast at night, riding in poor conditions?
    it’s really not all just about the views, purity bollocks (WTF?)or punishing yourself.

riding my roadbike can give me just as much of a buzz as hitting a 50ft double on my hardtail used to.

teasel
    Free Member

I donn’t think you ever get that thrill a minute feeling you get off-road.

One of my return runs is all slightly downhill. Slaloming the delamination and bunny hopping the potholes at speed is really ****in’ scary great fun. A rush not too dissimilar to riding off road.

I guess it depends on the condition of your local roads… 🙂

mtbel
    Free Member

OK let’s rephrase- I’d be happy doing anything on it that you “need” a road bike for, that I would do if I had a road bike. The fact that it’s flatbarred makes no difference to me over a road bike in other words. Other than that I like riding it

just lol 😆

teasel
    Free Member

what about descending less than perfect roads wearing only lycra with no helmet, knee pads or other mtb nonsense at 50mph+?
    what about hitting corners at just the right speed, you know.. perfect entry speed, line and you feel your tyres just on the edge of letting go and if you even touch your brake you’ll be off the road?
    What about chasing and drafting a bus on the flat, face 2 feet from the back at 40mph+ spinning out while concentrating on it’s brake light and where you are with no line of sight.
    or simply buzzing through busy traffic, overtaking cars, riding in a fast bunch, riding fast at night, riding in poor conditions?
    it’s really not all just about the views, purity bollocks (WTF?)or punishing yourself.

riding my roadbike can give me just as much of a buzz as hitting a 50ft double on my hardtail used to.

I’m guessing you do all of the above on your road bike. So what is it about a flatbar hybrid that would make the above not as “comfortable”* as a road bike? Genuine curiosity, not looking for an ‘STW debate’.

*As you suggested after Northwind’s post up there.^

mtbel
    Free Member

I didn’t actually mention comfort at all Teasel. But since you bring it up, unless NW is using drop bars and road brifters on his “flat bar hybrid”. No it won’t have the same options for comfortable positioning for road riding as my roadbike does. no real debate needed on that one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why does anyone feel the need to justify what bike they ride to internet arguers?

And anyone sneering at others for partaking in a form of cycling which they choose not to, grow the **** up please.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

aP – Member
    But my CX bike is a race bike, with Dugast tubs and everything…. it’ll probably be at Battle on the Beach as well

Likewise. It was good fun at the SPAM winter 50k and although I’ve entered BotB on the 26SS I may end up riding the CX race bike on the day.

I rarely ride trail centres as I’d much rather just ride out of my door and into the countryside on either the MTB, the CX bike or the road bike. Living in SWales does have many benefits and the roads, bridleways, trails and hills are some of them.

I began road riding to build fitness for MTB racing and found that actually I enjoyed it tremendously. I joined a local road club and found new routes and lanes that I knew nothing about. Had great conversations and some lovely coffee and cake. Had reinforced that age is nothing but a number and no one really gives a shit at how good you think you are. If you’re that bothered then pin a number on and race.

So totting up.
    2x road bikes
    1x TT bike
    1x CX bike
    1x SS 26 MTB

and I still want a fat bike

Northwind

Yep, they give different options- drop bars gave me an assortment of less comfortable positions, flats give me one very comfortable one that I can sit in all day. But we’re all different shapes.

D0NK

riding my roadbike can give me just as much of a buzz as hitting a 50ft double on my hardtail used to

swoon. Going as fast as you safely can* on your given terrain is another cycling universal but with offroad, velodrome or other not on the public road type of cycling you don’t have the worry of a HGV around the corner/breathing down your neck possibly smearing you across the tarmac.

Do you though? I’m not so sure you do.

I love MTBing (and generally riding offroad) it’s what I do. The fact that on some glorious sunny summer days last year I picked up the road bike and did some road rides tends to suggest I do get road cycling. I just generally prefer offroad.

*and sometimes faster you naughty boys and girls.

D0NK

Why does anyone feel the need to justify what bike they ride to internet arguers?

I wasn’t hugged enough as a child

mtbel
    Free Member

lol.

come out with me down the coast and see how comfortable they are heading home into a 50mph westerly.

mtbel
    Free Member

me neither DONK

[ ]

teasel
    Free Member

I didn’t actually mention comfort at all Teasel

No, you’re right. I misread the word “happy” as comfortable. Twice, actually.

Surely happiness is a totally subjective thing…

Northwind

I am convinced mtbel, I’ll sell my bike that I like immediately and get another road bike that I hate riding, and it can sit in the garage and gather dust til I sell it in a year 😉

Hang on… This is a ploy, isn’t it? You know I’m a serial bike seller, you just want a new road bike!

mtbel
    Free Member

it’s fine Northyboy.. just STOP using the phrase *”need” a roadbike for…*. and the world will be right once more. 😉

TiRed

I don’t think you ever get that thrill a minute feeling you get off-road.

Try racing. never thought I would either.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Try racing.

+ 1000.. or even a chain gang ride.

whitestone
    Free Member

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
    I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
    I want to ride my bicycle
    I want to ride my bike
    I want to ride my bicycle
    I want to ride it where I like

Northwind

mtbel – Member

it’s fine Northyboy.. just STOP using the phrase *”need” a roadbike for…*. and the world will be right once more.

That was me taking the piss out of people who “need” a road bike to ride to the shops 😆 And another one to ride to the shops in winter.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I have 2 bikes as unfortunately it’s all I can have given I live in a flat and our spare room is the “bike shed”.

1 “Enduro” FS
    1 Road Bike

I like riding both although the mtb is much more fun i do find going out on the road bike to be quite relaxing as it lets you clear your head of everything just plugging along getting miles in. Won’t ever own a CX bike though as I just can’t understand why anyone would ride one over a mtb.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

The nearest good beach for swimming to my house is 20 miles away by road or a little less with some gravel shortcuts.

On a warm summer’s day a road bike and a CX make perfect sense.

trickydisco
    Free Member

on’t ever own a CX bike though as I just can’t understand why anyone would ride one over a mtb.

because they can be faster, challenging, great for racing

deadkenny
    Free Member

Too many rules in road racing, clubs, sportives and all that.

I just want to ride for fun, and staring at tarmac or someone’s arse and arguing with drivers or being sideswiped by lorries is no fun.

Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Do most STW ers now own a road /cx bike?’ is closed to new replies.