• This topic has 185 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 186 total)
  • Do moderators on this site moderate?
  • angeldust
    Free Member

My opinion is that if they don’t behave moderately (and imo some are not) they are abusing their position. I acknowledge that you disagree (educator).

angeldust
    Free Member

Have to agree with that chain of thought….if he wants to carry on being as opinionated (and sometimes aggressive) with his views, he probably should give up being a mod. There have been a couple of posts recently along the same lines, so I’m not the only person with this view.

Drac

I think it depends what you describe as “argumentative, belligerent and pithy” and what the mods deem to be unacceptable. The thing is, a certain amount of that done in the right spirit is one of the things that makes this place great – it is when it is done in a negative way it is a problem (TBH I’m not sure Drac’s post saying “it’s not fine” is the most helpful, because clearly a lot of it is fine – I’m assuming there is a bit of background to this, but as we’re not supposed to discuss specific moderation decisions..

And that is the problem. Trying to judge between a long winded discussion and utterly pointless petty arguing. Those who were banned for arguing took it to a level I could never reach, have the time to or even be arsed to do.

As I said we don’t always get it right but we never ban for the sake of it. You’ve either had many warnings, broken a massive Cardinal Sin or a returning banned who refused to change their ways.
    Have to agree with that chain of thought….if he wants to carry on being as opinionated (and sometimes aggressive) with his views, he probably should give up being a mod. There have been a couple of posts recently along the same lines, so I’m not the only person with this view.[/quote]

Have to agree with that chain of thought….if he wants to carry on being as opinionated (and sometimes aggressive) with his views, he probably should give up being a mod. There have been a couple of posts recently along the same lines, so I’m not the only person with this view.

Again can you provide evidence to this and why was it not reported? Your the first person I’m aware of to express such views.

aracer
    Free Member

So you are suggesting that mods shouldn’t be allowed to post in the way that is acceptable for other people? I’m not sure I follow that train of thought – ISTM it is possible for the active mods on here to separate their two identities.

I should point out that I don’t agree that he should give up being a mod because he is opinionated (in case that wasn’t clear), simply that he is more important as a contributor IMHO (though I don’t really know how much he does as a mod).

edit: though one potential abuse of power just occurred to me – presumably the mods can edit their posts for longer than 15 minutes after making them – I know I’d make use of that if I could 😉

angeldust
    Free Member

Yes, I’m suggesting mods should have to be moderate if they want that ‘job’. There is a big difference between generating discussion, and being deliberately antagonistic/aggressive.

Sorry, I just don’t care about it enough to spend any time to dredge up ‘evidence’. If that means you don’t accept my opinion, so be it.

Also, don’t you think there is going to be some reluctance to reporting a moderator? Potential for conflict of interest is huge. for that reason, I probably wouldn’t bother.

aracer
    Free Member

Really? You would have to assume they were corrupt for that to be an issue. Personally I wouldn’t hesitate to report a mod – though personally I very, very rarely report for conventional reasons (I can only think of one occasion in the last year or so, involving direct personal abuse, the sort of thing I’ve never seen any of those mentioned even approach – hence why we’re still asking for examples of what you’re referring to).

angeldust
    Free Member

For the record, I don’t think I’ve ever reported anyone in ~15 years, which should give you an idea of how seriously I take this place. I’m not suggested a coup or anything! Just particularly don’t like seeing people abuse their position.

Mark

Yet you can’t give us an example.

This is most odd.

Anyhoo.. Regarding your point that mods should moderate themselves over and above that of other users.. Thanks for that input. I’ve considered it. And I don’t agree. So it won’t be happening. Shall we move on now?

angeldust
    Free Member

Yet you can’t give us an example.

It’s not that I can’t, I just won’t. Because I can’t be arsed. It’s really not worth the time.

This is most odd.

You think? I disagree.

Anyhoo.. Regarding your point that mods should moderate themselves over and above that of other users.. Thanks for that input. I’ve considered it. And I don’t agree. So it won’t be happening. Shall we move on now?

Any reason why we should have to move on? I’m enjoying the discussion. I have no expectations of anything changing, just expressing my opinion.

slackalice
    Free Member

Any reason why we should have to move on? I’m enjoying the discussion. I have no expectations of anything changing, just expressing my opinion.

🙄

Well, you sure are testing the tolerance towards argumentative, belligerent and pithy.

I’m finding your approach tedious and provocative. Have you always been like this, even with your earlier usernames?

angeldust
    Free Member

I’m finding your approach tedious and provocative. Have you always been like this, even with your earlier usernames?

Which earlier user names would they be then? Genuine question.

Mark

If you aren’t going to offer up any kind of support to your argument then it all seems pointless. Debate is meant to include evidence in the main – it’s what makes opinions credible and not just made up crap on the internet for a reaction. If you want to debate the issue then fine. You’ve been challenged to come up with evidence to support your accusation of another forum user. It’s odd that you are finding the time to continue to post and yet can’t find the time to come up with the evidence to back up your assertion.

So, in light of that I’m going to call bullshit. You are making it all up for the sake of an argument – the definition of a troll.

angeldust
    Free Member

Well, you sure are testing the tolerance towards argumentative, belligerent and pithy.

Ah yes, but I’m not a mod 🙂

angeldust
    Free Member

Mark, in terms of finding the evidence of other people expressing the same opinion…..I assure you it is there, but I really think it would take me some time to trawl through the threads and find them. Sorry, just isn’t going to happen. It takes me 2 minutes to post replies here, would take hours to find the above.

If that means you want to close the thread fine, but I hope you keep it open. Perhaps someone else will be able to find the posts in question.

Mark

That’s fine. You are a troll. You are among many.

angeldust
    Free Member

Thats unfair Mark. Check my long term post history…still think I’m a troll? Guess you are going to tell me you don’t have time to/can’t be bothered :lol:? Unlike you I will fully understand and accept that standpoint.

Edukator
    Free Member

Cougar’s “helmets” thread included a run-in with Three Fishes which perhaps justiifes the latter’s comments on the previous page. No-one got banned though and I felt Cougar handled the opinionated-regular-poster/mod dilema fine. Judge for yourselves:

Helmets thread – the only one I could think of without trawling and found using my own posting history in a couple of minutes.

teasel
    Free Member

Have you always been like this, even with your earlier usernames?

Spill the beans, old bean. I’m totally shit at this spotting this face-off style stuff…

teasel
    Free Member

Sorry, that’s awful and uneditable now.

What I meant was who was Angledust’s previous incarnation(s)…? And why keep returning once banned – don’t get that…

Edukator
    Free Member

Angeldust is a one-liner man who doesn’t cause trouble AFAIK. Now if it were Ninfan… . 😉

teasel
    Free Member

a one-liner man who doesn’t cause trouble

Ah. A man after my own heart…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t hesitate to report a mod

Me neither… 😀

slackalice
    Free Member

My reason for asking was that angeldust claimed to have been on this forum for 15 years, which takes it back to its formative years, when I was also a member here with a different username.

Their profile suggests that angeldust joined in 2009-ish, so presumably had a different one before, as when I rejoined, my original name wasn’t available and possibly something to do with the hack or whatever the issue was.

I was therefore applying the same thought process and wondered if I would remember their contributions from all those years ago.

Simple really.

Please mods, can I have my original username back please?

chip
    Free Member

I used to moderate an airgun forum and the main problem was some people believed it should be child friendly despite having to be over 18 to join.
    And when any subjects vaguely adult in nature were posted the above people would throw the toys out of the pram that there child might have read it.

I have had vaguely heated differences of opinion with both cougar and drac, and do not believe they abused there position. They just aired the opinion like any other member.

I have seen threads where members of the airgun industry have made cocks of themselves abusing disgruntled customers in the heat of debate on certain forums removed to save there reputation. Now that was mods abusing their power.

Mods are people too. 😀

CountZero

You certainly seem to be.
    I think the expression that’s most appropriate here is ‘put up or shut up’.
    Speaking as someone who’s been on here since 2003, I think the Modding now is the best it’s ever been, handled with a light but deft touch that, as Cougar said, appears to be almost invisible to most users.

And don’t forgot there are some moderators that don’t have ‘moderator’ in their title…
    They are amongst you… walking around like regular people… watching… waiting…

Bloody lizards!

angeldust
    Free Member

Teasel/slackalice, there is nothing to spill (sorry, very boring). I’ve been here since the beginning using the same username, but don’t post much really, compared to many. Date only going back to 2009 is due to the hack I presume. Never been banned. Not sure why Mark is being super grumpy.

aracer
    Free Member

Well if that’s too hard, how about just some evidence for this previous assertion of yours – if it’s a “large proportion” then it really can’t be very hard.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s part of his job description – it says it right there next to his user name

edlong
    Free Member

Some of the moderation e-mails sent out were less than diplomatic. Recent ones have been civil.

Maybe it’s just me, but if I was habitually receiving emails from the moderators of a mountain biking forum, I’d be having a word with myself.

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s just you. 😉

angeldust
    Free Member

Speaking as someone who’s been on here since 2003, I think the Modding now is the best it’s ever been, handled with a light but deft touch that, as Cougar said, appears to be almost invisible to most users.

Completely disagree, goes to show you can’t please everyone.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s edu you’re talking about there – I should imagine he gets lonely if he doesn’t get one for a while 😉

scaredypants

All posts should be non-editable IMO, so that folk might think a bit before posting and we should also be able to click on a username and see all their previous names 😉

Other than that, this place is pretty much bang on, I’d say

(Oh, apart from getting rid of the share button, obvz)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    All posts should be non-editable IMO, so that folk might think a bit before posting and we should also be able to click on a username and see all their previous names

Other than that, this place is pretty much bang on, I’d say

(Oh, apart from getting rid of the share button, obvz)

*Shares*

slowoldman

It’s the best moderated forum I’ve been on. But that might be in some measure down to the contributors.

Drac

But that might be in some measure down to the contributors.

Very much but there’s always those who spoilt it. ^^

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^^Reports^^

Drac

/bans

scaredypants

+lols+

howarthp

You should probably ban me seeing as how I started the thread. And there I was thinking this was a cycling forum and could get some technical questions answered.

At least I’m out of hospital now

Sigh

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Do moderators on this site moderate?’ is closed to new replies.