Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Do dogs ever grow out of rolling in fox poo?
  • rewski
    Free Member

I understand why they do it, but it just makes not punishing him very hard.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

It’s the doggy equivalent of Hugo Boss, Dior, CK *insert man fragrance of choice* – We spend a fortune trying to mask our natural scent.

Doggy doo happy doggy doo!

sandwicheater

No and if anything, the ability to hunt down the smelliest things only gets better as they get older.

Ours found a decomposing sheep carcass the other week. Had to stop twice in the car on the way home to let out a little sick it was that bad.

willard

Yup, it just never seems to get old for them.

Tomato sauce is your friend following a shoulder-slide. Coat the offending area, rub it in (with gloves on) and then leave for a bit before washing out. Helps neutralise the smell.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Are two were buggers for doing it.

Straight under the hose, cover them in cheapest ketchup you can find, hose off then repeat wash with a bit of Dirty Beastie or similar. Only thing we found that’d guarantee getting the smell out in 1 wash.

Luckily they dislike the process enough that it’s sufficient punishment and I think its put them off rolling in the stuff… for now.

rewski
    Free Member

I should be grateful he’s stopped eating it. Rotting sheep… urgh!

Edit:

Tomato sauce is your friend

I was told that yesterday, along with white vinegar.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Unfortunately not. Had many a drive home from a walk with all the windows open. Get through a lot of this…

sandwicheater

Tomato sauce is your friend

If i had strong googlefoo i’d insert a giff ‘can’t tell if he’s being serious’

Really???

willard

100% serious.

It’s not like the “Marmite will repel bulls in Pampalona” suggestion, this is an honest one.

Jamie
    Free Member

Really???

Yup.

Just one, of many, google: hits: http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=227059

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just to add another ‘no’ to the chorus. Worse still they may yet acquire a taste for badger poo which is even stinkier. Trust me.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Our young bitch loves it. Our old dog just looks at her with a “WTF?” expression.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Badger poo is evil. Only thing I’ve smelt that’s worse was after ours rolled in a load of rotting dead fish that someone had left on the bank of the canal 😡

wilko1999
    Free Member

Our whippet is 5 and she hasn’t even considered giving it up yet.

Our Lurcher is 4 and he prefers to eat rotting carcasses, and roll in them. He also eats cat poo. Once, he ate a big pile of our cats poo from the garden, came in and puked it up by my feet. I headed out into the kitchen to get cleaning products, by the time I’d got back into the lounge he’d eaten it again.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Ours soon learned not to (two walks) when we used one of these;

http://store.intl.petsafe.net/en-gb/350m-little-dog-remote-trainer

Also stopped her barking unecessarily 🙂 well worth the money!

bruneep

Ours soon learned not to (two walks) when we used one of these;

http://store.intl.petsafe.net/en-gb/350m-little-dog-remote-trainer

Also stopped her barking unecessarily well worth the money!

I’d rather not give my dog an electric shock thanks. 😐

cyclelife
    Free Member

Static shock – totally harmless.

geoffj

Our Lurcher is 4 and he prefers to eat rotting carcasses, and roll in them. He also eats cat poo. Once, he ate a big pile of our cats poo from the garden, came in and puked it up by my feet. I headed out into the kitchen to get cleaning products, by the time I’d got back into the lounge he’d eaten it again.

anagallis_arvensis

When our lurcher was younger she rolled in fox poo whilst being walked by the mrs. I told her to put ketchup on it. Which she did. When I got home the mrs had gone out and I found dog out in the back yatd baking in the sun with the ketchup still all over her. Insert face palm emoticon here.

It does work you just need to wash it out!

jamesfts
    Free Member

Take it you tested it on your self first to make sure?

donks
    Free Member

My mate went camping with his dog and another friend of his… It was a back to basics field without toilets etc so they had to crap in the nettles away from the camp…. His mate decided he would just crap about 10m away from the tent and the next morning my mate was woken up by his Great Dane licking his face after it had scoffed his mates crap out of the nettles… Words were exchanged 😡

ampthill

Priceless thread whole family in stitches

We look after a dog called smelly Bently that roles in all poo

Lilly the Beagle rolled in a dead mole yesterday

OP you are basically stuffed

CountZero

jamesfts – Member
    Take it you tested it on your self first to make sure?

I’ll bet I get electric shocks off of stacks of plastic boxes at work that are worse!

porter_jamie

the great dane, oh man, thats grim.

my labrador seems to be getting worse, the stinking bugger. a recent episode involved some particularly stinking shite, and i was trying to get him to roll in a puddle to wash the worst of it off by grabbing his collar – big mistake because i got poo on my gloves, so started swearing mightily at him yanking him into the puddle when a family complete with little kids and grandma hove into view around the corner. daddy why is the smelly man trying to drown the doggy? i rode off.

Del

mine used to. she comes to work with me. rolled in a very fresh cow pat one lunch time. couldn’t take her back to work like that so it was down to the trough and and a thorough dunking. doesn’t do it now.
    rewarding good behaviour and ignoring bad works up to a point, but sometimes they need to cop it.

grantway
    Free Member

Nope ! Apparently Fox poo to dogs is like Channel No5 to a women.
    And our Golden Retriever loved it.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Phew thought it was just our filthy little bastard!!

Larry is seldom comes home without a smearing on his back, especially if we’ve been ont moors! Minging. Never tried ketchup tho…

teenrat

Fox poo is bad, but the worst by a long shot is dead seal. My dog makes a bee line for the putrid stinking mass of decaying fat and maggots. Once the fat is on his fur, its a real pain to get off and can take upto 6 washes and hoses before the smell is bearable.

As an aside, some dirty person couldnt wait for the toilet so did it on the beach… you can guess what happened. I was gagging.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Our Bichon like to eat horse shite, but he’s a a bit choosey, it has to be from the Exmoor ponies on the Quantocks and only certain deposits, he’ll then re-visit the same lot several days in a row unless I head him off.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We had a black lab that always rolled around in ‘sileage juice’ & everything else the farmers had dumped.
    My Mum always had to hose the dog down after a walk.

seosamh77
    Free Member

You all make this dog ownersbip malarky sound very appealing. 😆

woffle
    Free Member

Our whippet is 5 and she hasn’t even considered giving it up yet.

this. Stan our Bedlington did this with fox crap. Vomited it up in front of my wife. And then ate it. And then my wife was sick.

she dealt with it by walking out of the room, shutting the door and phoning me at work to come home and clean it up.

brokenbanjo

Had a collie that on a site visit, saw fit to roll in fox, badger and cow shit. Queue me and my mate driving back down the A590 with our heads out of the windows. She looked perfectly pleased with herself.

My cocker, this very morning, found herself a badger latrine. Pretty pleased because never knew there were badgers there, but christ she stinks now. Once again, she looks mightily pleased with herself until the Hose of Justice was used upon her canine entity.

On the subject of eating things. Said collie and my mates GSD disappeared whilst we were felling trees for a worryingly long time. We called them and they emerged from out of a bog with a rotting deer leg each. The vomit and diarrhoea that followed was vile. The cocker loves silage and whilst talking to the farmer, she’ll trot in to the silage pit and pull chunks of it from the clamp and munch it. The following day she’ll be dragging her arse as the silage comes out wholly undigested. There was also the time when the cocker ate a poo bag full of treats for the coming ride. The next day I had to pull a piece of shit coated poo bag from her arse.

Oh, and margarine shits are just the worst. I found that out two weeks ago when the cocker ate a full tub. Basically stinking, shit coloured margarine. Apart from that she’s alright.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

😆 I feel soooo lucky with our dog after reading this 😀

willard

My two disappeared upstairs the other night and were suspiciously quite for too long. I called them down and found out that my boy had eaten about 400g of dry roasted peanuts, and most of the bag, that I had by my bed.

Little sod was poohing Snickers bars the next day.

The worst was when he ate an entire knuckle bone in one sitting. The next day he was in a lot of pain trying to dispose of a turd the diameter of an orange. I swear people thought I was being cruel to him with his howls of pain when he finally got rid of the bone turd. He’s not had a knuckle bone since.

rewski
    Free Member

Actually feel better knowing I’m not alone, Mitch is only 8 months and he’s been a pretty poorly since we had him, we’ve had a few behavioural issues, we’ve been told not to punish him, dogs just don’t respond well to punishment and everyone just gets stressed and anxious. I must say he’s doing so much better now we don’t get angry with him, reward and distraction seems to work.

cudubh

My spaniel loves the taste of sheep shit. I have been delighted to see the farmer taking his sheep down our lane pretty much every day this week leaving a fresh buffet every time.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

In the case of retrievers, sadly not. The great smell of brut

fox doo…

rewski
    Free Member

This posts needs pics, here’s my Mitch pre fox poo

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Do dogs ever grow out of rolling in fox poo?’ is closed to new replies.