Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • DLNA file weirdness
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve got a DLNA server built into my router – you whack in a USB drive and it shows up as a DLNA network drive. It’s ace, I can stream from it straight to my TV.

Only thing is, some files it just doesn’t recognise. There seems to be no logic to it – for example two files in the same format (MP4) with the same naming convention, one it will recognise and one it won’t. It’s the same on the TV and on my phone using BubbleuPNP.

Is there any known oddness that could cause this?

Files are transferred from a Win7 PC or an old Macbook, it’s a Netgear router, Panasonic telly.

allthepies
    Free Member

Perhaps the codecs required for the different mp4 files aren’t supported by your router and it’s detecting that on the fly and not showing the one’s it can’t play ?

Worth using Handbrake to try converting an MP4 that doesn’t play into one with a different codec ?

cranberry
    Free Member

You’ll probably need to find out exactly what resolution/codec,etc your TV and router support and put the files that you have that don’t work through Handbrake to convert them to a form that are supported.

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I guess that’s probably it. Just seemed a bit odd that it’s exactly the same files on the telly, the phone and (checked this last night) the Xbox.

Cougar

There’s a thing which is always entertaining to google galled “G-spot.” It’ll analyse a media file and tell you what codecs it needs. (The utility may be difficult to find…)

Might be an idea to see if there’s a firmware update for your router, additional codecs are just the sort of things that could be added in new versions.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m not googling that at work, but I’ll have a look this evening! Router update could be a good shout too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘DLNA file weirdness’ is closed to new replies.