Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DISCUSS: LT HT h'bar height
  • qwerty
    Free Member

i run a 140mm fork, 40mm riser with 25mm spacers – seems to suit me – how'd it feel / ride lower?

what you folks runnin?

your insights please (yea i know i can just change it and see)

ta

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I run 120mm forks, 50mm riser, 65mm stem with a 10 degree rise ( i think)
    and about 15mm of spacers.

I hate low bars

Eccles
    Free Member

I ballsed up when I changed my bars/stem and ended up higher than before (poor grasp of basic trig) but clmbing aside now prefer it – the higher front end means that I can run the saddle higer for pedaling on singletrack and still have plenty of fore/aft movement without getting snarled up.

The exact measurements are them, there and that, but 'higher than you think' seems to work as a rule of thumb.

poppa
    Free Member

Of course, frames have different headtube lengths and people are different heights, which means comparing travel/rise/spacers doesn't give a clear measure of handlebar height…

IME low handlebars give a good position for traction and a low centre of gravity, great for carving turns on singletrack, but make it harder to lift the front end quickly. My technique is open to question though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I like the handlebars just a bit higher than the seat on my bikes

Eccles
    Free Member

TJ, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but are you Rivendell Cycles in disguise?

GW
    Free Member

bar height on my hardtail is roughly 38"

Pretty **** pointless for you to know that, eh?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Mine's set-up like this:

140mm forks, 70mm stem, mid rise bars. Seems to have ended up with the bars and saddle at about the same height and feels good like that.

Looking at older pics it looks like with shorter forks fitted (and different bars and stem) I've tended to run the saddle a little bit higher than the bars.

RDL-82
    Free Member

on-one 456 ss running a pike at more often than not 120mm with 20mm spacers a thomson 0deg stem and low rise bars 0.25 or 0.50inch which ever is the lowest size raceface do, cant remember, and it has made the bike more comfortable imo from previous which was a 6deg stem and some 40mm risers everything else the same. I m 6.2 and ride an 18 for a bit more numbers, wouldnt change back, and cant say i have anymore difficulty lifting the front as someone mentioned

nickc

On a Chameleon, 140mm forks, 90mm 10deg rise stem with about 25mm of spacers. Fairly neutral XC set up

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Previously I was absolutely dead set against low bar positions, however, I tried it just to give it a go recently and am a total convert. It's more responsive, better in twists and tech stuff and faster. It's great!

I now run medium rise bars, zero degree stem, no spacers and 140mm forks. Previous set up had been high rise bars, 5 degree stem and 30mm spacers.

Now-

Then-

brooess
    Free Member

Cy @ Cotic advised me to run bars as low as poss now I have 140mm forks on my Soul – ride on the front fork he said. He likes to run his forks at 100mm too. Of course as above re different frames = different geometry this may not be ideal for every bike but I know I feel more in control if my hands and weight aren't too far off the front wheel

leggyblonde
    Free Member

110-140 forks on a PA, 0deg 70mm stem, 40mm rise bars, 5mm spacer.
    lowish front ends are ace on a hard tail, good for working those forks

ampthill

I like the handlebars just a bit higher than the seat on my bikes

Wow that sounds amazing. At 6 foor 4 I've never had any option but saddle well above bars. Even on 80mm forked hardtail with riser and pointy up stem

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DISCUSS: LT HT h'bar height’ is closed to new replies.