Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Disc mount facing tool hire
  • bensales
    Free Member

Anyone know where I might be able to hire a Park DT 5-2 or similar?

thols2

Local hardware store or Amazon.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You can probably buy one for less than any potential hire cost then sell it. I picked up a Hope IS facing tool for about 50 quid recently I think.

reluctantjumper

For the price of it I’d say just take the frame to an LBS, only needs to be done once and they’ll be much better at not cocking it up than you or me and I used to do the old IS ones! Probably no more expensive than renting one.

bensales
    Free Member

@thols – that looks like a good way of screwing up a titanium frame 🙂

@squirrelking
    – it was a thought, but the Park tool is hundreds. I’m doing a flat mount which appears to be more of a pain.

@reluctantjumper
    – yeah, have sent queries to local shops I trust to find out if they have tools that can do a titanium frame.

hatter

Where are you based Ben?

bensales
    Free Member

@hatter – Midlands, just south of Birmingham.

hatter

Bugger, not close to me then.

Try Two Wheels in Stourbridge, or Venture Bikes in Brum if you haven’t already, pretty sure they both have the kit.

bensales
    Free Member

Will do, thanks.

Daffy

Titanium is little different to any other metal when it comes to facing.  You’re grinding, not bending, extruding, etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Now you’ve mentioned its titanium – I wouldn’t hire you my facing tool

Any meaningful facing action will render that cutter scrap

Worth remembering when you get upset at the cost of getting a shop to do it. They will likely if they have any experience doing it – which you really want them to have – be pricing it for a significant amount of the replacement of the cutter.

bensales
    Free Member

Oh, absolutely! I’m not expecting it to be cheap to do it right.

To be honest I’m not even sure if it’s out but you’d need to actually put a tool on it to be certain. If anything I think the bolt holes just need opening up a touch but it should be checked for square, flat and perpendicular anyway.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.