Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Disc fork with 1″ steerer
  • thenorthwind

Is there such a thing?

I have an eXotic carbon 26″ disc fork with a 1″ steerer but looking for something more road-oriented for an older bike. Anything out there? I can’t be the first person to have tried this but can’t find anything.

scotroutes

Oops. Just realised you were after 1″. Even trying to find 1 1/8″ was a struggle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tried SH on fleabay?

thenorthwind

Tried SH on fleabay?

Yup. One problem is that ‘1″ steerer” doesn’t work well as a search. I assume it sees the “, assumes you’ve missed the other one out and ignores it. And “1” doesn’t really narrow things down very much!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah yes I remember that, but not how I got round it! -“1/8” etc? Got to be rare and a waiting game I guess.

Just realised you are thenorthwind, not northwind. Who is it that you are again?

bikesandboats
    Free Member

try searching for 1 inch threadless or 1 inch threaded fork instead, I got more hits that way. Does sound unlikely though, getting someone to add a disc mount to a non disc fork might be a better bet as long as the fork is strong enough to take the different stresses.

chestrockwell

Ask on retrobike. They’ll be plenty about as disc tabs have been pretty standard for 20 years. You could still buy new Pace suss forks in the mid 2000’s with 1″ steerer.

mcj78
    Free Member

Wound Up in the US make a steel one – not cheap & dunno anywhere that sells them in the UK, was looking at one of their forks a few years ago

Wound Up

andrewh
    Free Member

Pop an inverse shim in your steerer tube?
    More helpfully, would a steel touring type fork be strong enough if a disc mount was welded on?
    Or any adapters kicking about from the late 90s? I remember seeing plenty of rear ones way back when.

orangespyderman

Wound Up in the US make a steel one – not cheap & dunno anywhere that sells them in the UK, was looking at one of their forks a few years ago

Wound Up

Artisan forks!! They sound just perfect, why do we not hear more about them here? Do they make woodburners and coffee machines?

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Crust Bikes make one, I’m sure. Could well be pricey though…..or could be well pricey.

dovebiker

1″ forks were on the way out when disc brakes were coming in about 20 years ago – the only ones made were mainly for the retro-fit market. I built a disc-braked road bike about 15 years ago – fork choice was very limited, carbon almost non-existent and all 1.125″. You might find something on eBay.

thenorthwind

Cheers all.

Thanks for the link DezB, that might as close to what I want as I’m going to get, and reassuringly non-artisan. Would have preferred no brake bosses (could cut them off) and threadless so I can use my existing threadless headset (maybe still can, depending on length of thread/headtube) but I don’t think I’m in a position to split hairs.

getting someone to add a disc mount to a non disc fork might be a better bet as long as the fork is strong enough to take the different stresses.

May do this at some point (learning to TIG weld at the moment) but the un-designed-for stress worry me a little.

Just realised you are thenorthwind, not northwind. Who is it that you are again?

I don’t even know myself. Not Northwind. I’m not worthy of capitalisation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Disc fork with 1″ steerer’ is closed to new replies.