Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Dirty Reiver ’22 discussion post
  • Oblongbob

Did 56 road miles yesterday with 1000m of climbing. Longest ride for a long time as I’ve been injured for quite a while. It was good, but the last few miles felt worryingly tough. I only ate a single caramel wafer though, so hopefully with some proper feeding I’d feel a lot stronger. I’ll try to get a couple more longish rides in before the event. I’m sure I’ll get round, but it might not be pretty or fast.

petedee
    Free Member

Out in the Algarve at the moment. Hilly 50km yest then a big 160km day in the hills today. Few more days left. Two smaller rides and another big one. I’ll probably do two more weeks training then start to taper back a bit. Good excuse to get fit for summer nevertheless.

crosshair
    Free Member

Last pre-event gravel ride yesterday.

I felt awesome for a bit but the headwind home felt harder than it should have. I’ve been training with a camelbak but I’m just ordered a TopPeak frame bag to stick 2x 2l bottles in to get the weight off my shoulders.

I’m still on the fence about whether I should stop at rest stop 2 and 3 instead of taking enough for the whole ride but at least I have options.

petedee
    Free Member

Man flu all week. Finally got back on the bike yesterday for a quick 55km @32km/HR average. Felt great and Portugal gains have been realized. Probably ride some MTB tomorrow at Hamsterley although keeping the km low. Perhaps 20km on Wednesday as a very light, easy ride. I reckon that’s it..ready to die on the 200km on Saturday 😂.

Saturday appears to be 5-10 degrees at this rate. Likely going to go for long bibs, endura baselayer and endura wind-chill jacket as my riding gear. What are others looking at?

Also thinking of skipping feed stop 1, asides from grabbing a quick water refill.

petedee
    Free Member

Double post

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Mechanical q:

I just changed my brake pads. The new ones rub the rotor. New ones are shimano xt sintered, old ones were shimano xt resin which must have been a narrower pad thickness. Not a major drag but enought to bring the wheel-spin to a noticeably premature halt. On a 1hr blast it wouldn’t bother me, but a 9/10hr Reiver I need to make as easy as possible.

Pistons are fully retracted and moving equally when I squeeze the brakes.

Should I try sanding down the pads? Is that a recognised technique? Disc brakes are great but this is a faff.

petedee
    Free Member

Sounds a tad annoying. Reading what you posted, it sounds like you’ve pushed the pistons the whole way back. Have you loosened the caliper bolts and held the brake on to realign? Might help if you haven’t. Otherwise, yes, I’d probably be willing to rough them up a bit with some rough sandpaper.

paino

Looking forward to it despite the lack of proper miles. Aiming for the 200, so just hope the weather holds! Slow and steady whilst inhaling as many carbs as possible is the plan. Hopefully there’ll be a spot in the car park for the van Friday evening, not sure if they’ll open up another area for campers?

paino

Re brake pads…if it’s dry I’d just stick the old ones back in!

crosshair
    Free Member

I’ll probably wear my Castelli gabba jersey and maybe start with arm warmers. Otherwise it’ll be summer skin suit if over 10 degrees, winter long sleeved CX skinsuit if under 5.
    And ride harder if I get cold 🤣
    Coat and base layer as per the regs incase I have to change any punctures in the 15mph NE 🥶

jonba
    Free Member

Try a short ride to sort the pads out. Mine normally reset better after a bit of use.

Clothing wise, still not sure will try some ideas on my commute this week.

As it stands (5-10C) probably 3/4 bibs. Base layer and fleece top. Will likely set off in my waterproof until I warm up. Might got for a perfetto style top if the sun isn’t coming out all day.

Doing the 130 in a windproof fleece and bibs a few weeks ago I was too hot with a max temp of around 7C.

didnthurt

Nice Chisel. The only thing I’d add is that with flat/riser bars you have limited hand positions which can be hard going at that sort of distance.

Have you thought of putting some small barends on just inboard of your grips? It would also make you more aero on the flatter easier sections.

It’s a pretty common tip, I did it myself on a tour of Mull last year.

didnthurt

If you have a decent level of fitness then you should be ok, the one thing that you might struggle with is being in the saddle for 12 hours if not used to it. Make sure you get some longer rides in before the even. Also ride regularly using the same bike and setup before the event (including the same shoes). Even a small change before the event can lead to a slightly bdifferent bike fit which over the day can manifest itself into pain, discomfort and even injury.

petedee
    Free Member

Aiming for ten hours in an ideal world with an average of 20-21km/hr. Been riding plenty so far this year – about 2500km, half MTB at a guess 🙂.

Currently have tape for the inner bar, gonna double wrap tonight so I have a few positions. Not sure I can be assed removing the ESI silicone grips to put bull bars on though. Do you really rate them?

Done 140km on the Chisel recently which was fine. A few bigger roads rides recently. Looking forward to the day.

joshvegas
    Free Member

you’ll be fine without bar inds (TM) jus stay relaxed and enjoy it.

when you get to the 130 cut off don’t cave! Also the ford if its still in is best ridden through without stopping to take a look or you’ll over think it. You’re likely to get wet feet either way.

petedee
    Free Member

Waterproof socks then 😂

mrb123
    Free Member

Ford no longer in, or at least it wasn’t last year.

didnthurt

I’ve never ridden the route but 20kmh average seems fast to me for that distance. You must be a pretty strong rider. Good luck and I’m sure you’ll love it. Just think how good your first beer will taste at the end. 🍺

mrshovelhands
    Free Member

Pulled out last year after wrecking both tyres before feed stop 1, hoping for better luck this year!!! Brand new set of wtb nano’s on my cx bike, and plenty spare ammo for the Dynaplug tool…..

Having the quarq on the bike now will be good for pacing, started near the front last year and was amazing how many people I reeled in quite quickly as they went out guns blazing!

Let’s just pray it stays dry

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

@mrshovelhands

What tyres were you on last year?

mrshovelhands
    Free Member

@crimsondynamo wtb nano’s last year too, albeit i was unlucky and slashed the sidewalls! It’s a Trek Crockett I ride, it can only take up to a 40c tyre

I’ve ridden this setup at 10 under the ben and whw before, so trust the tyres most of the time

didnthurt

Good to know that a Crockett is up to the task as this is what I have. I absolutely love my Crockett.

petedee
    Free Member

Kielder is quite close for us. I’ve ridden kielder on my old gravel bike with 38s on and was more than fine. I had bought panaracer Gravelking 43s but decided last minute to go with 2.1 Thunderburts as they roll faster surprisingly. Had them at Hamsterley yesterday. Happy with them.

20km/HR is the goal. I’ve heard the fastest ride at 27-28km/HR average which is mind blowing. Was at kielder a few weekends ago and done a mid-range 70km as I was short of time. We held 21 without any issues, although it will likely drop off after 120-130km. I think the main challenge are eating every 15 mins while on the go and hoping the rain stays off!

Is anyone riding with a camel bak or just frame bags?

I’ve got a saddle bag for all my bike repair and spares. A top tube bag for food. 2* 750ml water bottles. Back pockets for some sandwhiches and more snacks.

crosshair
    Free Member

I ran bottles last year, then have been training with a camelbak ready for this year but I’ve just bought a top tube frame bag to put 2x 1l bottles in instead.
    I’ll have enough onboard to do the full route- although I can’t get a good enough model dialled in on Best Bike Split to figure out if stopping at rest stops 2 and or 3 would be faster.
    I definitely won’t stop at 1 as it’s crazy busy.

Oblongbob

Good intel on here for another first timer. I managed to catch covid 3 weeks ago so training been non existent. Effects seem to be largely passed, so hopefully all will be well for the event. I’ll be slow and steady and just hoping to get around ok.

jodafett

Well I’ve only went and got bloody Covid! I was chuffed to get a waiting list place but not to be this year!!

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

So how did we all get on?

My experience:

First 100k: excellent varied course, feeling good really enjoyed it.
    100k-150k: death march into the teeth of a 18/19mph headwind. The 3rd quarter is always going to be difficult psychologically, but to have it also the most difficult physically was a double whammy.
    150k-200k: Again a really nice course and my spirits rose nearing the end. However body started failing. Hot-foot with 25k to go, lower back pain which I had been managing started to get out of control, and right hamstring/calf/back of the knee started to go.
    Finish: burst balloon.

I didn’t get any punctures, and I was quick at feed stations, as such I think I was higher up the field than I should have been on power alone, meaning that for every one person I overtook whilst pedalling, I was overtaken 99 times. I have conflicting feelings on that.

petedee
    Free Member

0-70km was nice and easy.
    70km – 100km started to feel the legs and sick of eating normal food.
    100-140km – that headwind! Felt sick, by this point I was using gels. Questioning why I was doing it. kept pushing on.
    150km- 178km – positivity returns, feeling strong again.
    178-200km – felt very strong, knew I was near done. Pushed the last climb and hammered out the lakeside. Exercise induced asthma started playing up a little at the end.

Very lonely and silent between 100-150km. I think everyone was in a dark place with that wind.

Tyre burped somewhere before feed stop 2, so I had to pump it a bit. Only bike issue of the day.

Moving time of 10hrs 1 minute. With feed stops I reckon about 10 hrs 40. That headwind will give me flashbacks for a while

jonba
    Free Member

First 100km got dropped by most of the faster groups but kept it under control. Climbing well making good progress.

Caught by team mates at the second feed station. One was throwing up and had to abandon (Kids at home also throwing up we found out later).

Felt amazing on the 100km climb, probably the sugar hit and tail wind.

Turned into the wind and went to a very dark place. Pressed on, keeping my HR sensible over the many steep climbs. Perked up a bit when we hit the tarmac at 140ish km. Drank a lot of water and ate some food at the third station before heading back out into the wind.

Mixed it up with various groups for a while but let them ride away if the pace was too much. Got through the last 25km on will power and force feeding gels (was feeling quite nauseous but needed fuel). Knew from a recce about the climb after the dam and that it got much easier after that on the roll in. It was great to catch up with the 135 and 65ers. I’d been on my own for a while and even the hellos were nice. Also motivation picking them off.

Got round in 8h25. Given my sensible target was under 10h I’m massively happy with that.

I am completely broken. I’d signed up to the Weldtite ride but could barely walk to my car this morning.

It’s an amazing event. One to add to any bucket list. God know how hard it would be in wet cold weather though!

weeksy

Epic time, well done!

crosshair
    Free Member

Well done Jonba that’s insane in those conditions 👏🏻

crosshair
    Free Member

Well it’s funny looking back on my expectations 🤣 One thing Kielder does is make you feel insignificant- let alone your attempts to ‘beat’ it.

The weather looked perfect- bright sun, 15 degrees and light cloud. But it packed a killer punch. The worst headwinds I’ve ever ridden in. Literally 20mph with gusts all day. Being pebble-dashed with gravel at times!
    Okay fine- so you get some slow sections and some super fast ones right?
    No! One of the best things about the event is the descents. On the racing line (say ten inches wide) it is super-compact gravel. Then to either side is the stuff of nightmares. Loose marble – fist sized gravel slipping about on the hard sub layer.
    Last time I would clear whole descents with only 100y of braking at the bottom. This year, on many of the descents, the cross winds were trying to rip your wheel out from under you.
    So what should have been the prize for a 20 minute climb was a super sketchy crawl dragging the brakes and forcing yourself to relax and stop making it worse.
    Sadly I knew in my mind that 13.6mph average was my stretch goal (the 9hr finish) so I pushed hard to try and make it happen. I don’t actually think I got there more than once. Every time you’d make progress, a headwind climb or a crosswind descent would drop you lower into the 12’s.
    At about 50 miles, I was starting to feel it. I’d gone harder for 4h30 than I have in my life but the average speed was like 12.7.
    Then I hit the only short road section and my legs felt amazing! The difference between pedalling on gravel or roads is insane.
    I obviously over compensated by going flat out- pulling 380w up a short road climb and whistling along around 20mph.
    This gave me hope that maybe things would get better so I pushed on. Speed was nudging 13mph average again and as I reached the aid station at half way, I pressed on by, full of hope.

Then we cross under the main road into the southern sector. And things went badly, quickly. I started to feel sick. The effort in the heat was just like Salisbury Plain last week but I’d gotten behind on my eating. There literally wasn’t time. You’re either climbing at an intensity that makes it impossible to swallow or descending at 30mph on sketchy gravel or grovelling into a savage headwind. It is crazy how little in the way of flat sections there are.

So I rapidly try and resolve things by eating and drinking as much as I could handle. Then pressed on hoping it would take effect.

Around this point, so say mile 70ish, I knew the conditions had made my hopes of a fast time impossible and I knew I’d been a very silly boy by riding at 6-7hr pace in a hope that I’d get a surge at the end to carry me to the line. I knew I was looking at a 10-11h ride.
    And it killed me. Literally crushed the life out of my entire body. Suddenly everything hurt. My feet, my shoulders, my neck, my wrist and my tendons. They were like journalists hyping up PartyGate whilst I was like Boris- fat, useless and without an ounce of moral high ground with which to argue my point.

It is no exaggeration to say I was about to quit. To turn around and ride back the way I’d come. And I saw one guy do just that!

So then the next phase of my race began- and probably the hardest thing I’ve done in my life.
    When I arrived at Kielder I tried to think through my goals. And one was to finish without stopping. The one I tried but failed on last year. Suddenly- this was brought to number one. This was the thing that could get my through.
    Just. Don’t. Stop!

My body wasn’t having it. “Impossible!” “Pointless!” “Why!!??!!” came the cries from my various dying muscles.

So then came the lies. For the next 30 miles, I survived only by doing two things. Lying to myself and by doing a Vegan Cyclist and appealing to “future me”.

The lies were a variation of a theme. “Let’s finish this climb and we’ll stop” or “if you (my right foot say) don’t stop aching at mile 86, I’ll stop and take my shoes off”. Next it was beating the point at which I finally stopped for a pee last year. That kept me going for at least 3 miles. Then as we got closer it was based around the third aid station.
    Finally, it was a helpful miscalculation I had made about the route. I thought there was 25 miles left once you cross the main road for the final time. But actually it’s a fair bit less.
    So I was able to tell myself that when I reached the main road, I would bail out and ride along it with a glorious tailwind back to the Castle! Then, I told myself I would cross the dam but turn left instead of right and follow the cycle path back. And for this I lied once more and told myself it was 12 miles if I went that way. Thankfully, by the time I got there, it was only about 17 miles to follow the course- so naturally I turned right and told my legs to shut up one last time.

The “future me” thing is great too. Just ask yourself whether future you will accept your excuses when you look back on things. The answer is usually no.

I know I could have matched last years time now. Which would have been amazing in the contortions. But two things stopped me. One- I didn’t bother taking lube. And despite lubing it as well as I could- my chain literally sounded like it was going to snap for the last 40 miles or so. So I actually wasted 1/2 a bottle of sugar water to keep splashing on it- which would buy me around 20mins of peace. But it definitely stopped me exploiting the ‘finish line surge’ that I felt but couldn’t utilise for the last 7 miles. The other thing was my rear pads. Thanks to the crosswind descents, I used more brake pads in one ride than I had since buying the bike last summer and had no rear brake for the last 30 odd miles. This was a massive handicap too and stopped me committing to any of the hills because I was terrified the front would go too.
    Yes in hindsight I should have just put fresh on regardless but they literally had more material on than the non-branded ones I had in my spares box at home. As well as lube, I will pack spares for sure next year (although changing would have made finishing non stop impossible).

The tortoise and hare thing was fascinating as usual. The same 30 people seemed to pass me all day. I’d get dropped on the climb, pull back on the descent and then finally they’d stop somewhere and I’d chug past only for the whole thing to get repeated.

Everyone goes on about roadies being unsociable but there was lots more banter this year for the first thirty miles and then everyone slowly got quieter and quieter 🤣 Soon everyone was just eating their stem wishing they were anywhere else.

There is a river crossing with a bailout bridge. And whilst ridable, it is rocky. So I made the decision to go over the bridge. It is very narrow but just wide enough for my bars so I didn’t dismount or actually stop but my feet did touch the ground as I scooted over. And that was it, the entire rest of the day I was pedalling/moving.

I managed to beat my sprint up the hill at the castle too- despite everything, I hit 1800w in my most powerful recorded sprint ever 🤣
    I had it in mind to leave my Garmin running and then do an extra mile on the way back to the car to make it my longest ride on Strava but I couldn’t. As soon as I stopped at the finish- my body finally won and wouldn’t let me do more than roll back to the car.
    My time was 10h30 but there was at least 20 mins in the things I’ve outlined and way more if I had paced for 10h.

But still- I’m pretty sure there won’t be many people who did the entire event without stopping so I found my own little victory in an otherwise mediocre performance 😀

tazzymtb

ace laugh as always, brilliant to see so many female riders in the pack. 29+ on the downhills meant I could pick any line and hoon past those clinging to 10″ of clean trail,did result in me totally airborne over a cattle grid and as the the trail turned right and i very nearly didnt. headwind was an utter $%#@ and one cheeky grunter on the special stage brought my chubby little singledpeedy legs to a complete trackstand and comedy dismount 🙂

all in all a tip top ride with lashings of beer and mead

paino

Loved it! Overriding memory was the savage easterly wind.
    0-1m nearly missed the start, last minute change of clothing meant I forget my gloves so had to head back to the van (idiot). Joined right at the very back-oops.
    1-96km. Felt great. Plan to eat on the climbs whilst spinning went well. Got through the horrible boulder field unscathed only to get a puncture on the steady climb with no rocks about 10k past the feed station. Think it was from a pointy bit of bark from recent forestry ops, luckily it semi sealed itself, didn’t want to push putting too much air in so rode delicately to the second feed station. Bike and me covered in dusty jizz from the sealant.
    96-150k started nicely on the climb only to turn into that savage head wind. The fast descent off the summit nearly had the guy out in front of me crash due to an insane cross wind. Realised at that point I’m a long way from anywhere if I suffer a high speed crash, so eased off. What followed was a demoralising 25k slog where pedalling to get any speed downhill was simply brutal. No chat from anyone around me. Head down and slog. I’m sure the views were lovely though.
    150km+ the Red Bull & soup sorted me right out. Timely feed! Really enjoyed the last but, albeit with a proper sore neck. Here I must thank the small groupetto that dragged me along at a speed well above my ability. At times I get dropped only to catch up and help out. One guy especially dragged me all the way up that last big climb from the dam. A big thanks, whoever you are!

Riding time according to Strava 8 hours 50mins. Much better than the 10 hour target. Really happy with that.

Said to myself I’ll only do this the once, but it was just SO well organised that I may well consider it again!

jonba
    Free Member

Friend made a video

crosshair
    Free Member

Just saw that! Mind blowing in that lead group. 18.1mph on Harold Evans’ Strava 🤯

mrshovelhands
    Free Member

Got spat out the back of the chase group on a descent, i’m a strong climber but was a bit too cautious on the descents!

The power numbers back up just how brutal that head wind was! 275w normalised @ 78kg with a moving time of 7:58, phew

GRX double chainring setup or a mullet sram setup would have been nice, little bit grindy with a 44t ring / 40t cassette on a couple of the climbs

No mechanicals though, which was a relief!!

crosshair
    Free Member

Finally had the energy to make a video.

boxelder

Love the video Crosshair.

weeksy

knowing you in real life, that’s actually a really funny video with you talking to yourself about your plans, structure etc. I can imagine this stuff keeps you awake at nights.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.