Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Did something really strange today..
  • molgrips
    Free Member

When my wife and I had a weekend in London without the kids, we didn’t really have a plan so we left our hotel in I think Kensington and started walking, ended up at the London museum on the far side of the city. One of the best days out we’ve had 🙂

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Yes! Walked Waterloo to Greenwich along the Thames earlier this year. Brilliant.
    Currently walking miles and miles around Madrid every day.

If I walk slowly as in a shop or museum then I get backache, but otherwise ok.

hellz85
    Free Member

I think you need to do some hamstring stretches op, backs shouldn’t be hurting from a short walk, or legs. I never used to stretch after cycling and that resulted in tight short hamstrings, which also gave me lower back pain now I do stretches everyday, especially if I’ve been riding and my back is so much better. A random walk in an urban environment is quite boring but i love going for walks/hikes in the woods or up a mountain, even more so if I’m with my dogs.

brooess
    Free Member

Walking is natural, it’s what our bodies were designed to do – walk upright on two legs. Doing so little of it is wrecking our bodies and minds.

I suspect if we all took 6-mile walks every day we’d be a far, far happier, healthier, friendlier, nicer bunch of people in the UK.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I suspect if we all took 6-mile walks every day we’d be a far, far happier, healthier, friendlier, nicer bunch of people in the UK.

I suspect if we had the time to take a six mile walk each day that would also be the case whether we walked or not.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I suspect if we had the time to take a six mile walk each day that would also be the case whether we walked or not.

I suspect if modern humans had the time to take a six mile walk each day we’d instead choose an extra 1.5hrs snarking surfing on the internet.

MrSmith
    Free Member

People don’t seem to walk more than 500m from their cars, a week in Cornwall (with no car) and did lots of walking along the coastal path and you see a handful of people over a 6-10mile walk, get near a car park and there’s people everywhere. You can have a deserted beach all to yourself if you can be bothered to walk.
    No wonder we are a nation of fatties.

sssimon
    Free Member

Find walking on my own is tedious, with a dog or the kids it’s great. Used to find running boring too (and riding on the road) but now find bother a great time to think and clear the head.

I do walk on average 6 or 7 miles a day in work, I deal with 3 departments across a 25 acre site and the only way to get decisions is face to face so I wear out 2 pairs of boots a year! My wife wonders how I can eat 2 lunches every day and stay the same weight I was 10 years ago

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hate mountain biking in the winter cold and mud. Do a lot of walking instead, because – you know – can’t stay away from the hills without getting stir crazy.

I use it as a keep-fit, challenge sort of a thing. “Training” circuit is 30k with a few steep, short hills around Ranmore and Box… Helps fend off the winter podge.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Depends where you’re walking. I love hillwalking but walking (say) to work every day through a mainly urban environment can be pretty tedious, especially if you’re next to traffic.

zilog6128

Almost everyone has the time to take a 6 mile walk everyday. I’ll concede that a lot of people think they don’t, but in most cases that’s because they’ve decided to prioritise working (normally either driving a car or desk).

GrahamS

Almost everyone has the time to take a 6 mile walk everyday. I’ll concede that a lot of people think they don’t, but in most cases that’s because they’ve decided to prioritise working

Very true, if I was unemployed, independently wealthy or retired then I’d probably have time for a 6 mile walk everyday.

Not sure that helps really though.

zilog6128

Mock away. Not really sure why I bothered posting really, I knew that would be the sort of response given the mindset of most on here. It’s your life, your health, your choice.

kcal

I enjoy walking. Helps to stay in a town, rather than a city, and if I want to clear my head I can head into the countryside in 5 minutes, or be across town in 20-30 minutes. No idea how many miles I might cover in a week. Sometimes happy to get out rather than riding..

Northwind

Every time I go for an actual Walk, I remember I like it. Whenever I’m not doing it, I think it’s rubbish. Weird.

johndoh
    Free Member

I love walking me. I try to fit in at least one walk to work and back every week – I live/work in Harrogate so I am lucky in being able to walk from my house, down by Harlow Carr Gardens, through the Pine Woods and into Valley Gardens then on to work through town.

I just put my headphones on and have a leisurely walk, admiring the views and try to avoid the manyfold dogs.

It’s a great way of unwinding and finding time for myself I find.

GrahamS

Mock away. Not really sure why I bothered posting really, I knew that would be the sort of response given the mindset of most on here. It’s your life, your health, your choice.

I’m not mocking – it’s just not a very practical approach for me because, like most people I suspect, I need to work.

Much as I might like to say “I should work two hours less every day so I can go for a 6 mile walk”, that isn’t really an option.

And if it was, then I’d spend those two hours with my kids.

lemonysam
    Free Member

And if it was, then I’d spend those two hours with my kids.

You could take them for a nice walk!

/ducks

GrahamS

Our two year old would take the best part of a day to walk six miles, especially if there was anything interesting to look at along the way (e.g. a shiny stone, a nice leaf, a stick etc etc etc). 😆

And I’d probably end up carrying her for five and half miles.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Very true, if I was unemployed, independently wealthy or retired then I’d probably have time for a 6 mile walk everyday.[/]

When I was made redundant my riding went from 2-3 hours a week up to 5-6 hours of riding / walking / trail building a day. Basically I woke up, sent chaser emails and job hunting emails, went out with phone to keep in contact, returned home. No money for much else but got very fit.

Still didn’t find walking as much fun as riding although when you are not trying to get anywhere and are basically just killing time waiting for a job it was a nice way to see the little details in the woodlands that you don’t spot while cycling.

miketually
    Free Member

I had a couple of weeks of walking to/from work post-snip. It’s not the most inspiring route ten times in a week, but with headphones and some podcasts it was quite enjoyable. Only about 5 miles a day in total, but didn’t really take too much longer than riding it and I could probably fit the time in every day.

In February, the wife and I had a few days in Harrogate. We walked from the centre to Harlow Carr Gardens, then round the Harrogate Ringway and back into the centre. 26 miles in 9.5 hours, including a couple of pub stops, was a pleasant way to spend the day.

Tuesday night’s 3.5km walk (pushing a 23kg bike with a puncture, in the fog, alongside a main road, after a 14 hour day at work) was less pleasant.

zilog6128

And I’d probably end up carrying her for five and half miles.

Which if you did it every day would give you a CORE OF STEEL. 🙂 win-win.

pushing a 23kg bike with a puncture

Was going to write “what do you ride, a tractor?” then remembered you’d bought one of those old post bikes! Can you get a 24″ tubeless tyre? 😛

mogrim

Currently walking miles and miles around Madrid every day.

Not ideal weather for that this week, though!

I like walking, too. Will hopefully be walking to a restaurant soon, as I’m starving 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

Walking is ace! As a dog owner, I walk for at least an hour a day, usually through Autumnal woods (at this time of year). Brilliant smells and colours. You can even stop at the pub for a pint without carrying a massive D lock.

It just slows everything down a bit – there’s no rush or panic and everyone knows how much fun it is to kick some leaves about.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just tried to total my walking this week

Monday – Bedroom + Office + downstairs for the evening + bedroom = <100m
    Tuesday – As above + walked to the car and back to drive wife to the mini-supermarket and short walk around that = <200m
    Wednesday – Bedroom – Office etc plus down to the cabin in the garden for a sauna = <100m
    Today = Bedroom – Office <10m

So this week I have left the house once and walked less than 450m 🙁

Never mind, out of the cast by Christmas all being well and then I will have no excuse

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Walking’s a nice excuse to take the motorbike out. Ride somewhere pretty but a bit further away than I’d normally cycle to, park up and walk for an hour or so, then ride back with a cosy glow.

miketually
    Free Member

Just tried to total my walking this week

Google Fit tells me that I averaged about 30km a week of walking in October.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Walking’s a nice excuse to take the motorbike out. Ride somewhere pretty but a bit further away than I’d normally cycle to, park up and walk for an hour or so, then ride back with a cosy glow.

Sounds like you’d love dogging then.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

lemonysam – Member

Sounds like you’d love dogging then.

Tell me more…………………

steve-g
    Free Member

I love walking

Living and working in London with all its public transport I hardly used to walk anywhere, then a few of us signed up for a 100k walk along the south downs way, enjoyed it so much we did that, or its sister event in yorkshire for 7 years in a row. Everything about it was fun. Planning your route, organising your supplies, getting up early to get out of the city and into the countryside, walking and talking with good friends, seeing unexpected things, country pubs, camping. Some of my best times over the last 10 years have been just simply out walking up and down hills looking around and getting lost with people, and the best thing about it is that its pretty much free. Split petrol between a few of you, pack some food and water, and head off, arrive home 14 hours later having well and truly worn yourself out.

Kids are finally getting to the age that they can cover a bit of distance now too and thankfully so far they enjoy it

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Walking is natural, it’s what our bodies were designed evolved to do

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Walking is natural, it’s what our bodies were designed evolved to do

Are you questioning God’s Intelligent Design?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I reckon the OP needs to go on a skills day. Teach him the finer aspects of putting one foot in front of the other……

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Did something really strange today..’ is closed to new replies.