Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Dialled Prince Albert as a Commuter?
  • forge197
    Free Member

Anyone using a Prince Albert as a commuter bike and want to share some pictures, I was going to get a Trek Soho but I am going to space challenged so need to take a current bike and make it a commuter and be able convert it back easily to a XC bike.

I've got a spare set of wheels with the same hubs so can make up a set with slick tyres so that's ok and can get some secure skeweres.

It's the mudguards that I think are an issue or at least feel like an issue as I don't think a crud catcher is where it's at for the front at least, not so worried about panniers as I can get what I need to carry in a rucksack but thoughts welcome.

Any ideas, advice and thoughts welcome, it's going to be a short commute around 2.5 – 3.0 miles.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Waste of a good bike 🙁

Vortexracing

for 3 miles it will be ok

especially if all you are changing is a set of wheels

forge197
    Free Member

Rob did you misread this bit

make it a commuter and be able convert it back easily to a XC bike

Because of where I live it only get's used when I head back to the softer southern trails and the odd Gorrick race so it's the least used bike, so makes sense for it to become dual purpose.

Do need to sort a good front mudguard out though!!

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

That's not a bad plan. A spare set of wheels will make the process of swapping them back quite easy. Admittedly not the ideal bike for it, but ok if you have one already…

Those fugly moto-x mudguards would be your best bet. Maybe those neo-guards might work ?
    I had conti sport 1.3s on my kona for a while and found that most of the annoying spray comes off the front of the wheel, through the fork, and into your face 🙁
    If you want skinny slicks then Conti Sports are great, btw. And you'll need the spare set of wheels cos they can be arkward to fit.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I'm commuting on mine at the mo, best bike I have for these conditions!

forge197
    Free Member

It wouldn't be my first choice commuter bike if I didn't have it already, it's would be my first choice Steel XC Hardtail I do enjoy taking it for a spin on the trails 🙂

Will look at the fugly guards and the neoprene maybe run both if it's possible, Conti Sports did they offer good puncture resistance?

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

The contis had very good puncture resistance.
    I maybe did 1500 miles in them or so (not much) and don't recall puncturing them. Which is good, because I'd HATE to have to change the tube on the road! (Real pain to get on/off)

The 'guards are these types : http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/defender-fx-front-ec004905

I hate how they look, but they're probably the best solution.

PS. I'm a Prince Albert owner too, I love the bike for off-road too 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

used to do 14 miles a day on it

forge197
    Free Member

holyhutzpa – Those guards are visually challenging but if they do the job then it will be fine.

PA is a great bike hence I don't want to sell it to buy a proper commuter and for the distance I'll travel happy to make do.

rocketdog – liking that 🙂

keyses2

I use mine for a 5 1/2 mile commute quite often but I dont bother changing the tyres, just ride it as it is.

jond
    Free Member

Every rigid or HT mtb I've owned, I've commuted on to some degree (2, 12, 9 miles each way depending on work/home location). Just pump the tyres up hard and they're probably roll reasonably well (tho' it might be a waste of an expensive XC tyre, unless you by something that's cheap/will wear well on the road). I can't be arsed with slicks most of the time, got some Contis of some sort and they're an utter git to get on and off, plus some of the commute can be off-road.

Crud catcher's work reasonably well – or at least well enough that I've never worried about fitting anything bigger. So long as you don't mind washing your face when the roads are really crappy, you'll get lots of black freckles 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Use mine to commute into Bristol down the Gloucester Road, then I have the option to commute home via Leigh Woods or Ashton Court – cant be bad. Didnt really have that choice when I commuted on a hybrid for a while. But then I only ride 2 miles to work….

dano
    Free Member

Key and jond have got the right idea… for less then 5 miles each way you really dont have to bother about changing tyres and wheels, the extra cost of this is years worth of tyres… i commute this distance nd sometimes swap tyres, otherwise just ride my off road tyres and enjoy the extra grip and try and find off road sections… or just run cheaper tyres like some steel bead, you can get these for about a tenner…

forge197
    Free Member

Good comments appreacite the thoughts, will sort the guards out and give it a go.

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

It might be worth trying Crud Catchers with a Neoguard on the forks (between them they'll catch most of the spray, and be slightly better looking than a moto-x guard (imo)

DT78
    Free Member

Sport contacts are on offer at £10 each from on-one at the moment. They are a serious pita to get on the rim though. I punctured a few tubes until I managed it.

I've just done the same thing (spare set of wheels for commuting) for my charge.

wildrnes
    Free Member

commute on mine, i just swap the fork to a rigid and stick slicks on it

forge197
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointer on the tyres they are now ordered 🙂 Great Price.

DT78
    Free Member

No worries bargain price, I got some speed kings as well whilst I was at it
    I'd recommend leaving the wheels/tyres next to a radiator to warm up before you fit them! Oh and use really skinny inner tubes I found our 2.0 were too big….

forge197
    Free Member

Will do and thanks, also now sorted skewers and a neoprene thing, got some cruds so when it all arrives will create commuter Albert.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Dialled Prince Albert as a Commuter?’ is closed to new replies.