Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • dhx coil on an 05/06 enduro… your thoughts please!!
  • renton
    Free Member

hi all.

ive been offered a dhx 5 coil shock for my enduro and i just wanted to get peoples thoughts on it as i know a few peeps on here run this shock on there enduros.

im coming from a 5th element air shock which gave me loads of bob and squatted a lot when climbing!!

the dhx is a dhx 5 and has been pushed.

what are your thoughts???

cheers

steve

PJM1974
    Free Member

To be frank, you can't go wrong. The DHX coil is a fantastic shock, the 05/06 Enduro is supposed to be a very good match. You've gotten yourself a MegaAvalanche machine.

I've run my 2004 Enduro with both a Romic coil and a PUSHed Float, both of which offer a substantial improvement on the stock setup.

renton
    Free Member

cheers mate

i know ive been going on about it being heavy and i wanted to try and lighten it up but i sort of realised that it was the bob from the 5th element which was killing the ride quality and making the bike feel really slow and draggy and at 18.5 stone there is only so much air you can put in a shock!!

hopefully the fox coil should pedal well,

geetee1972
    Free Member

Renton, you need to make sure that it will fit. Fox do not make a DHX with a stroke of 2.5", which is the stock length stroke for the Enduro of that year. However, many people, myself included, have run DHX units with a stroke of 2.75" but with a large plastic washed between the spring and the spring retention clip to reduce the stroke. Most of the examples of this have been done by TF Tuned or Mojo but I've seen other people do it themselves using plumber's washers.
    The DHX does work well on the Enduro, but it won't cure the pedal bob you highlight unless you run all the pro-pedal-low speed compression damping available. This sort of robs the unit of some of its suppleness, which might defeat the object of running a coil in the first place.
    I used a coil on my Enduro for two years, including a number of Alpine trips and it worked very well. But if it's better pedaling you want (the Enduro, despite many claims to the contrary, never pedalled that well) then you would be better to look for a DHX Air 5.0. There are DHX Air 4.0s on eBay quite regularly, but those have a factory set air pressure in the resevoir and it's set quite low thus reducing the effectiveness of the pro-pedal and further reducing the pedal effeciency of the bike.
    I had my 05 Enduro for five years and it retired only recently so I've had a lot of miles on the bike and have run it with 150mm coil (both the 5th element and the DHX 5) and 137mm air and by far and away the best guise for UK riding was the reduced travel air can with the pro-pedal set about half way and the air in the blow off valve increased by Mojo. I am not far off your weight so the settings would also apply.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

I have had an enduro frame with DHX5 coil, I have also ridden one with DHX air can.
    The coil is a great replacement for the stock air shock and I only changed mine to the coil as I am a heavy rider and didnt want the faff that goes with an air shock.
    If the coil fits, go coil IMHO.

renton
    Free Member

yep the coild is a longer stroke which has been modified by mojo so all good!

i know it will never cure all the bob but the 5th element was so bad that hopefully i should notice a bit of difference!!

cheers

steve

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If you are that sensitive about the weight, get a Ti spring. Very close to DHX Air weight, with coil feel.

Smashing.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

What was the shock from originally? It may have odd characteristics if it was PUSHed for a different type of suspension and/or for a rider of larger/smaller weight than you. If it was tuned for big hits DH riding, it won't be best suited to trail-type riding; and vice versa.

I run a PUSHed DHX 4 on my '06 SX Trail and it it's almost incomparable to the original shock. No more blow-through, way better tracking and reallt tightens up the pedaling.

If you find out what the original PUSH tune was, give Neil a call at TFTuned – it's he who will have done the tuning – and ask how he thinks it might work.

renton
    Free Member

the lad ive bought it from has an enduro and it was made for that !! he is also about my weight and had it set up with the push stuff for his own enduro!!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

the lad ive bought it from has an enduro and it was made for that !! he is also about my weight and had it set up with the push stuff for his own enduro!!

I believe that this what Americans would refer to as a "no brainer". Take that shock and see your Enduro reborn; you're going to love it.

Bosh
    Free Member

As you would have seen from the pics on your other enduro thread, I have a DHX5 cool on mine and it's excellent. The ou two slight issues are as follows:

1 weight – I run an 800lbs spring as I'm over 20 stone. The highest rate Ti spring available is 600 do I'm stuck with steel! Having said that the whole bike comes in at 36lbs which isn't woefully heavy.

2 on the fly adjustment is fiddly. Generally the linkage us pretty inactive anyway due to the excellent horst linkage, however on long Tarmac/fireroad climbs it does help to wind the propedal & rebound damping up and this means twiddling 2 dials, the smaller of which ( rebound damping) is nigh on impossible with long fingered gloves on.

Those IMO are minor gripes but for your weight (3 stone lighter than me) a 600 ti spring should suffice if you want to go down that route.

Overall the bike is fantastic and apart from the handicap of the weight on big long climbs it's great on technical climbs as just bulldozes over obstacles to get you out of trouble. Downhill. Well no need to say anything there the best bike I've ever ridden without doubt. The coil really enhances the plushness you will be used to with the 5e shock.

I concur…. No brainer. Get it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I hope you put up some pics, I'm very interested to see the end result.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘dhx coil on an 05/06 enduro… your thoughts please!!’ is closed to new replies.