Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DH Rear Tyre Help
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Have a 2.5 super tacky minion up front. Need a dual ply rear – two questions:

1. Super tacky or 60A
    2. 2.5 or 2.35?

Recommendations welcome, I was thinking highroller.

geetee1972
    Free Member

What kind of riding are you doing on it?

Northwind

60A 2.5 HR, if it fits your frame, would be my choice. Depends on where/when/how though.

MRanger156
    Free Member

DH, lift/uplift assisted in UK and Italy.

lunge

If you pedal up hill in at any time a 2.5 60a Minion DHF or High Roller, if you don’t have to pedal up then the same in a 42a Super Tacky.

steel4real
    Free Member

60A HR double wall in every situation except proper wet mud.

My own choice is 2.5 on the ‘big bike’, 2.35 on the five.

geetee1972
    Free Member

DH, lift/uplift assisted in UK and Italy.

Then without hesitation a 2.5″ Super Tacky and definitely dual ply. Super Tackys make a big difference, especially when it’s wet but they are a bitch to ride uphill on!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

super tacky’s will wear out quicker, especially on the back. They will be better for ultimate performance, but do you really need all that grip?

2.35 vs 2.5 is dont to rider weight IMHO anyone under 11st can get away with 2.35 95% of the time.

jackal
    Free Member

oliverd1981 – Member
    super tacky’s will wear out quicker, especially on the back. They will be better for ultimate performance, but do you really need all that grip?

Yes I was going to add this.

My last super tacky high roller (on the rear, front was in much better condition) was about knackered after a week or so’s hard dh in the alps.

legend
    Free Member

I usually go for a 60a on the back, means I’m not changing it out for a new one after no time!

My normal setup is 2.5 42a Minion DHF on the front, with a 2.5 60a Minion DHF on the rear. Works fine for me all year round (unless things get really silly)

MRanger156
    Free Member

Will super tacky make a big difference on the back in terms of grip?

I imagine a week in italy if its hot will destroy a ST.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Not really. I switched from 42a to 60a on the back and have raced with them for 18 months now (not the same tyres!).

More noticable on the front however.

toys19
    Free Member

I use st’s on the front, I like a bit less grip on the back.

neallyman
    Free Member

Nothing against Maxxis but there is a bit of a trade-off between grip and wear as noted above. For comparison purposes, would suggest also trying something else such as Continental DH tyres in Black Chilli compound, or, Schwalbe’s DH casing in Vertstar compound. Possibly a better mix of grip and wear depending on what you like/want.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DH Rear Tyre Help’ is closed to new replies.