Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • DH in SW
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Heading over to Bristol weekend after next for a family thing and I’m taking the Friday off to do some DH. I have done Cwmcarn a few times before but I was wondering what else there is?

I would prefer an uplift although if the push up isn’t too bad I can live without it.

Thanks.

SammyC
    Free Member

Forest of dean have an uplift

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at FOD: I know that cameras never do trails justice but it just doesn’t look all that. I am happy to be proved wrong.

I do tend to prefer steep techy trails but they are hard to come-by these days.

scruff
    Free Member

FODs DH is a good place, nothing difficult but its varied and fun. Hang on, youve asked this already ➡

ddmonkey

A bit of a drive but Gawton in Devon has steep / tech DH tracks and an uplift but you’d need to check before you go probably.

GW
    Free Member

south down the motorway to triscombe? or over the bridge to many awesome tracks you might have to push up?

mikey74
    Free Member

Lol, yes I have asked this before: it’s kinda become a yearly pilgrimage.

It’s always good to get a fresh outlook on things.

nickegg
    Free Member

Triscombe surely? Superb variety of tracks and the push up is pretty quick and allows you to access tracks in sections or from top to bottom.

Spent the day there on Sunday and it was superb. Did 8-9 runs in 4 hours including ‘Brendan’s’ track…the steepest track i’ve ever ridden/walked down!

Only an hour from South Bristol too 😀

grantway
    Free Member

You May want to try this place

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynnrv3z63DM[/video]

sharki
    Free Member

There will be no uplifts at Triscombe this Friday.

Nick, steep? Try it on an orange 5, clipped in with the saddle a touch to high on a moist day…
    I’ve had better ideas..lol

mikey74
    Free Member

Got any directions to Triscombe?

sharki
    Free Member

Come off on M5 junc 24, follow road into Bridgwater. At main set of lights turn left. Pass Morrisons(on left) pass B&Q, stay in left lane and go left at next set of lights onto West street. Follow signs to Spaxton, go through village and follow to the end, at junction just past the reservoir turn right. Say on this road, following signs for Nether Stowey. After passing drive through barn on left and lime washed cottage on right, look out for left turn on sharp right hander. Sign posted Cockercombe. Take that turning, staying left at vague junction. As you pass over a cattle grid, the road goes round to the right and climbs. Follow all the way to the top, there’s a car park at the end.

All the DH trails are on the left, there’s around 30 runs in there now. Either find the trail running parallel to the road you came up and drop in right off that, or find the barrier to the left of the top cattle grid ad follow the tyres tracks along there till you find the top and numerous runs from there.

All trails lead to a forest track, with a final forest track sitting in the bottom of the valley.

Trails north of that track are more open and flowy, to the south are steeper, rootier and more technical. If it’s wet it’ll be slick but not claggy.

_tom_
    Free Member

FoD is really fun, not super steep or technical but it’s one of my favourite places to ride out of those I’ve been to! Think it’s only topped by Bringewood, but even that doesn’t have the variety of the fod..

mikey74
    Free Member

So any tips on what to ride at Triscombe? Are the trails fairly easy to find?

freeridenick
    Free Member

Come on then where is Brendons track??

trailmonkey

haven’t ridden gawton but having just seen grantway’s video, i’ve got to say that it looks a whole league above what i’ve ridden at triscombe.

gawton is a hell of a long way away from bristol though. you’d actually be able to get to the black mountains dh trails in less time.

mikey74
    Free Member

That is the reason why I’m looking at Triscombe instead of Gawton, but it would be useful to have some local knowledge.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The tracks are mostly easy to find at Triscombe, you just follow the trail round from the top & drop in the tracks as & where you please.

Brendan’s track (not actually built by him!) is a long way round. The further you go round, the steeper they get.

mikey74
    Free Member

Is there that many tracks? I guess it’ll be a case of trial and error then.

Do you mean from the car park? The guy from Triscombe Uplifts gave me this info:

” If you are coming from Bristol use this (TA5 1HJ) post code which will get you to the bottom of the valley. Continue up the tarmac road for about 2 miles and park in the car park. All the trails are situated around the head of the valley that you just drove up. Cheers.”

nickegg
    Free Member

Not going to reveal where exactly ‘Brendan’s’ track is. It was so insanely steep it bordered on ridiculous! However, i shall be returning soon for another attempt that’s for sure.

As for the number of tracks…yes there are more than enough for a day. I love the variety of them. Many start quite flowy with superb rooty sections and then get steep towards the bottom.

mikey74
    Free Member

Steep is good.

nickegg
    Free Member

Mikey: Go under the barrier Sharki mentions and follow the singletrack around the top of the woods, with the long ridge of trees to your right. You’ll pass a gate on your right and then shortly after take the R/H track. You will then see the start of three trails all within a few metres of each other. Take any of them and enjoy the ride!

Those are some of my favourite tracks in the area but there are no doubt loads more i’ve yet to ride!

jam-bo

if you want steep then gawton it is….

Super-Tavi is probably DH bike territory in the most part. I’ve ridden it on my five but I know the track pretty well. All the big drops can be ridden around but the chicken lines are pretty hard too.

Egpyt is super steep and techy in the dry and damn near impossible in the wet.

HSD is flat out fun on any bike.

You’ve also got woodlands a couple of miles down the road which is more than enough to keep you amused for a while. No uplift running at either site at the moment.

Track 4 at gawton is coming on well too.

mikey74
    Free Member

Gawton is too far as I’ll be driving down from near Gatwick that morning.

Thanks for the info folks.

rhys
    Free Member

Tbh if Gawton is too far don’t post saying SW, Bristol is pretty much Midlands from way down here!

mikey74
    Free Member

Bristol is the SW from here in the SE.

trailmonkey

yeah but considering that bristol to sennen is about as far as bristol to the lakes, your definition makes little sense 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

STW pedanticness strikes again :mrgreen:

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘DH in SW’ is closed to new replies.