Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • DH-88 Comet
  • Mikkel
    Free Member

So, my colleague insist that the DH-88 Comet is an ugly airplane.
    I think its beutifull and was a nice surprise that they flew it yesterday even though it was very windy.
    So Ugly or Beutifull?

Some pictures here https://www.flickr.com/photos/83246699@N00/albums/72157671252977152

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KSKFfj]5J4A1089[/url] by msh_sco, on Flickr

philholmes
    Free Member

Ugly, the wing shape is too pointy and the fueslage looks too long, no likey

andytherocketeer

There are certainly prettier planes. But I wouldn’t put it in the pig ugly category.

samunkim
    Free Member

There was a full size model hanging in a shopping centre round here a while ago. It looks okay in an form followes function art-deco kind way.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s very art-deco, as befits a cutting edge aircraft from the thirties. I like it.

It looks very Me262 esque in that pic.

kiwijohn

Your colleague is an idiot, it’s beautiful. Like most De Havillands.

Mikkel
    Free Member

what amazes me is how quickly De Havilland could design build and fly these nice aircraft.
    Just look at how quickly they also designed and flew the Mosquito.

sierrakilo
    Free Member

Its beautiful………. Tailwheel (Tick) , De Havilland (Tick)

also very tricky to fly….those long tapered wings very prone to Tip stall

stumpy01

Looks OK apart from the pointy wings & underslung engines….

Mikkel
    Free Member

but but but its the pointy sleek wings and engines that make it looks so awesome

stumpy01

Mikkel – Member

but but but its the pointy sleek wings and engines that make it looks so awesome

I probably should have said that I like the fuselage, but not a lot else 😆

The wings to me just look ‘wrong’ with a forward & backward sweep & the bulky engine cowlings don’t seem in keeping with the slender nature of the rest of it.
    Maybe it’s just the angle of that photo…

martymac

@ samunkin
    Are you sure it was a model? I thought it was the real thing.
    Im assuming you are talking about the galleria here

Mikkel
    Free Member
    ChrisL

sierrakilo – Member
    Its beautiful………. Tailwheel (Tick)

Well, a tailskid, originally at least. Not sure what it currently has though, it seems to have had both at various points in its life.

+ 1 for beautiful.

martymac

Yes that must be it. I thought it looked a little small but assumed it was the real mccoy. Thanks for clearing that up.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Its hard to judge without anything else next to it.
    I got a growing collection of diecast models and one of the thing i like about it is being able to compare the size of the various aircraft.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

what amazes me is how quickly De Havilland could design build and fly these nice aircraft.
    Just look at how quickly they also designed and flew the Mosquito.

Only possible in an era of fabulously lax health and safety with zero type certification overhead…

Worth noting that prototypes went spectacularly wrong* quite a lot more often, too.

* or utterly failed to live up to design intentions.

Also, what kiwijohn said.

jamj1974

Obviously beautiful! As for the underslung engine comments… Heathen! 😉

CountZero

It’s a stunningly beautiful aircraft, but so are the DH Dragon and Dragon Rapide, which follow almost identical design concepts, and there are a number still flying.

richmars

Is there still a model Comet outside what was the Comet Hotel, Hatfield. It seems it’s now a Ramada. We always went past it on our way to Grans, back in the 1970’s.

epicyclo

I had a Dinky DH=88 when I was a boy. I thought it was beautiful – it got treated very carefully. Wonder where it went?

garage-dweller

That’s a nice looking plane but it is a bit oddly proportioned (engine cowling comment above is probably it).

ChrisL

CountZero – Member
    It’s a stunningly beautiful aircraft, but so are the DH Dragon and Dragon Rapide, which follow almost identical design concepts, and there are a number still flying.

I flew in a Dragon Rapide last year!

And look what was flying next to it at the time!

🙂

samunkim
    Free Member

@ richmars … Yep still there

Though you may need to “track left and enhance” to see it clearly from this

GoogleStreet View

richmars

samunkim,
    thanks, seeing it was the highlight of the trip!

epicyclo

Talking about beautiful planes, I see the Bugatti X100 replica has crashed on its 3rd proving flight. Sadly the pilot died.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘DH-88 Comet’ is closed to new replies.