Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Deore vs SLX 36t ring on a double
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I have a Hone 22/32 which I like but find myself spinning out on blander sections/roads. Replacing the 32 for a 36 appears an obvious solution but with which is unclear.

I think the Deore is a middle, whereas the SLX is the double ring so there may be issues with chain retention due to shift ramps. I’m planning to remove the bash, but keep the Stinger on.

I ride in the Peak so durability is important, the Deore being cheap and steel appeals. I imagine the SLX is likely to be steel but is less cheap. I know it’s only a few quid but it adds up, I’m also planning on swapping the 22 for a 24 to reduce the jump. I’m looking at the 24t 10 speed SLX granny, this should work due to ring thickness being the same right?

Cheers :mrgreen:

timb34
    Free Member

36-22 didn’t seem too big a jump when I was running my budget 2×9 setup – it’s also what the M665 2×9 SLX crankset comes with as standard (and what Specialized are currently putting on their 2×10 hardtails)

I think I was using an XT 36t middle ring as the big. I also kept the 3×9 front mech and no bash ring, and I did lose the chain down the outside a couple of times.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’ve run a deore 36t ring as 2×9 without any problems. The ramps & pins are designed to lift the chain onto a bigger ring so it should make no difference whether it was designed as a double & bash (SLX) or missle ring (Deore), it should be the same retention wise.

I’m pretty sure the SLX 36t ring is aluminium alloy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Deore vs SLX 36t ring on a double’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.

Discover 06 Best Trucks for Camping
Singletrack Video Archive: Discover 06 Best Trucks for Camping