Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dent in frame from STW
  • rickon
    Free Member

Alright chaps,

Asking for a bit of advice here (and no wont name and shame, cause the chap’s been open and amicable).

I bought a steel 853 frame from here this week, which I was informed had some small marks to the frame and nothing else. The frame arrived today, with a 5cm long dent, about 1 – 2mm in depth, and quite a lot of scarring / scratches to the frame.

The scratches aren’t such an issue, as i was planning to pop the frame in for a respray – but scarring/gouges…. are they gonna be easy to sparay over without looking gash?

The big issue is the dent, which concerns me for longevity and safety.

The photos taken were with a decent level of flash, so none of the scratches or scarring are apparent.. which is a shame.

What would you chaps suggest? posting back, or asking for compensation? My issue is that it’s another £20 to post back a frame – which is a real PITA.

Ho hum, i think that’s my first issue with STW that i’ve had, and i buy and sell a lot! (apart from a set of Revs which someone thought has a seal issue, as they’d puked a bit in transit… a year later they’re running perfect on my misuss’ hardtail 🙂 )

Cheers

Ricks

ji
    Free Member

I would have called a 1-2mm dent a scratch – surely it can barely be through the paint?

rickon
    Free Member

A dent, as in the frame looks as if it’s been put in a workstand with the clamp edges on the middle of the top tube, then tightened.

Basically the top tube appears pinched in the middle, i did think ‘oooo hydroforming’, then realised… no it’s 853 steel.

There is a good bit of paint missing around the area dented, 3mm x 5mm… so could be crash damage.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Dents + missing paint = impending trip to hospital!

rickon
    Free Member

Hmmmm…. i’d like to not spend time in hospital. Even if there are nurses about.

Edric64
    Free Member

Send it back and make him pay the postage

coffeeking
    Free Member

IF the damage (and it sounds noticable) was hidden on selling, the seller should cover return costs.

swisstony
    Free Member

yep, return at their expense,

do you have a pic

rickon
    Free Member

Ive taken a few pics, but to be fair it isn’t easy to get a photo of the dent – you can see the frame bow in and out – as if it’s hydroformed.

I’ve said i’m returning the frame, as i’m not happy with a dented frame – if i’d have known I wouldn’t have bought it, simple as.

Well, back to the WTD section for me. Anyone selling an 853 hardtail frame for around £100? 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

i recently sold a frame through the classifieds, it had a dent in the downtube but made sure buyer was aware. and priced accordingly.

Did you get a good price? did it seem “too good to be true” etc

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dent in frame from STW’ is closed to new replies.