Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Deliberately incendiary computer argument
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

MrK mkII – Member
    Spectrum was generally for poor people
    maybe in your posho area! spectrum was for the rich kids here – they got the spectrums, then us pooros got a c64, then the richos got a c64 and ended up with two computers…

Nah I agree, all the wee snobby gits had C64s! 😀

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Three words, Sprites and SID. That is all.

bullheart
    Free Member

Chuckie Egg.

(sigh…)

EDIT: What about Horace goes Skiing? BBC Micro classico!!!!

mcboo
    Free Member

ZX Spectrum and C64….didnt we all have both, one after the other?

I got up at 6am 6 days a week for for MONTHS to do my milk round to get the £125 I needed for my Spectrum. Kids today…..

Was Elite a Spectrum or C64 game? Nothing before or since has come close.

mrblobby
    Free Member

For anyone interested in how the 64 came about can heartily recommend Bill Bagnal’s book. A brilliant story of genius engineers and a megalomaniacal boss.

Commodore 64 was a proper computer. The Spectrum was a toy for games. Loved both though 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

I had:-

ZX80
    ZX81
    TI 99/4A
    Atari 1040ST

Awesome days 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have an amstrad pcw green screen thingy in the attic all safely stored awaiting it become and antique worth millions

samuri
    Free Member

Didn’t everyone with a BBC become a MAC owner?

That’s the burden of owning a bbc, all that superiority is too difficult to let go of. You can’t possibly just go and own a PC now.

Mix it up with the commoners? Mother of titan, give me something that shows I’m better. I don’t care how much it costs.

Alex

No-one has yet mentioned the Mighty Acorn Atom. Best keyboard ever, proper clicky. Accept there were only about 9 games for it, but even so.

Someone lent me an original Apple II with a green screen. I was so traumatised with its rubbishness, it was 20 years before i could bring myself to buy a mac.

Dragon32, Oric-1, Vic-20 – classics of their time. Anyone remember the even earlier “home computers” – Sharp MZ80? Pet?

thepurist

BBC Micros? Pah, Johnny come lately types. I think my Acorn Atom is still sat somewhere in my parents loft.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You all fail. This was the turning point.

Alex

*high fives with thepurist* I knew someone else had bought one 🙂

@bb – i had one of those and wrote a mate’s best man’s speech on it. God Alive, it’d have been quicker to chip it out of slate.

Cougar

Was Elite a Spectrum or C64 game? Nothing before or since has come close.

BBC B, originally.

samuri
    Free Member

We had a Pet, Alex. It even had games on it.

I had a ZX80 too which came out a bit later (1980). Won a hundred quid on the premium bonds and bought a computer with it. My parents said it was a waste of money.

I seem to have done alright out of getting into computers early.

FuzzyWuzzy

Amiga > Atari ST
    C64 > ZX Spectrum

That is all

allthepies
    Free Member

‘Mastering machine code on your ZX81’ by Toni Baker.

I had that book 🙂

Used an Atom at school, a really bright lad (he must have been about 13 years old!) wrote a very good space invaders game on it in his lunchtimes, all written in assembler (which the Atom/Beeb had built in of course!)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I did a thesis on it, took forwever mind but it was a stunningly simple and easy piece of kit I’d ever used. Networked too…

racefaceec90

jeeeze is this argument still going on.i thought i’d settled it with my fist waving smilie (C64/amiga A500+ for the win 😉

Alex

Oh definitely. Amazing how far psion were ahead of everyone else, and then it all went wrong. I had about three of their graffiti PDA’s.

The mz8k wasn’t quite as cutting edge as I remembered

ZX80? Man’s machine that one 🙂

Cougar
    racefaceec90

anyone ever have one of these (i did 😀 it was awesome 😀

thepurist

And we’re all forgetting the beast that was the RM 380-Z

Cougar

Raceface > I had Astro Wars, Scramble and Firefox F-7 (and a Big Trak), but that one passed me by I’m afraid.

That was what our school equipped our “computer lab” with (mid 80s). Five machines connected to a single pair of 5.25″ floppies for storage. With all five going at once, the lesson was over before anything had loaded.

samuri
    Free Member

You can’t post things like C64 and Spectrum saying that’s the end of the argument when those were mature devices. Loads of home computers along before them and even more rudimentary devices before that.

We had one of those Atari devices with pong on it and a gun game.

Anyone ever have an EMMA?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Used an Atom at school, a really bright lad (he must have been about 13 years old!) wrote a very good space invaders game on it in his lunchtimes, all written in assembler (which the Atom/Beeb had built in of course!)

A lack of built in assembler on the C64 was a bit of a pain, I ended up writing my own!

allthepies
    Free Member

First computer I used 🙂

Alex

I’m having so many flashbacks, it’s like being in ‘Nam 😉

I once had a job of making 500 copies of some software using the two RM drives. Only after about 450, did I realise I’d been doing it the wrong way around.

EMMA? Nope. But I did see someone actually pay real money for an Osborne-1. The first not very portable computer.

FuzzyWuzzy

I still remember Manic Miner taking ages to load off tape on the C64 (whilst displaying crazy flashing graphics that would surely now be banned for triggering epilepsy) and the sadness that came with hearing the tape click having reached the end and the game failing to load (think it was 16 minutes which was a lifetime at that age).

A mate had an Oric 32 – how I laughed :p I remember being blown away by an Archimedes the school got though, I’m sure I wouldn’t be if I saw it’s graphics today though :p

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Deliberately incendiary computer argument’ is closed to new replies.