Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Deflating tyre…
  • munkster
    Free Member

…on the car.

Over a period of a few weeks one of the tyres (without fail) deflates to about 20psi from just over 30. Never goes much below 20 it would seem no matter how long I leave it. I keep pumping it up and it does the same. Car doesn’t get used much these days so haven’t been in a hurry to fix.

Now, aside from cries of auto neglect, can anyone surmise what the problem may be before I take it to the tyre place? eg. In case I am told I need a new tyre, where in fact it might be a faulty valve or something. Is that likely? TIA as always 🙂

scaredypants

porous rim ?

damaged bead seat ? (should be visible)

err, damaged tyre ? (I’m guessing you’ve checked it visually ?)

kids letting your tyre down, just a bit and repeatedly ? ( 😆 if it is)

Cougar

Slow puncture? There will be a nail in it somewhere, perhaps.

cranberry
    Free Member

kids letting your tyre down, just a bit and repeatedly ?

A kid with OCD and a tyre pressure gauge and nothing better to do ?

langylad
    Free Member

Is it on alloy? My wife’s car was doing this but going fully down. Nothing wrong with the tyre just got it re sealed at a local garage for 20 quid and it is fine now

scaredypants

A kid with OCD and a tyre pressure gauge and nothing better to do ?

deflates to about 20psi from just over 30

1)Consistentish length of pressing the valve down would do that just fine
    2)Kids have nothing better to do: messing with a neighbour’s head? I’d have been up for it
    3)You know how some suggestions aren’t entirely serious?, …

johndoh
    Free Member

Are the tyres old? When they get old, they become brittle (you can see cracks appear between the tread) and they go down but once the pressure is low enough, they stop going down quite so quickly.

cranberry
    Free Member

3)You know how some suggestions aren’t entirely serious?, …

Oh yes.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Probably a nail. The tyre pressure will drop to a point at which the air won’t force its way out.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Probably porous wheel. I’ve used Holts tyre sealant with good results to fix previous leaky Mini wheels.

globalti
    Free Member

A screw or nail will stay in the tread and the soft rubber inside the tyre will seal around it. Check the tyre carefully and hope the object isn’t in the shoulder of the tread, where it can’t be repaired because of the flexing.

Northwind

I had stans sealant in one of the wheels on my old car for this reason, worked a charm. (I did check for damage and objects first!)

bigyinn
    Free Member

You could take the wheel off inflate it to say 40psi and then spray soapy water on it and see if you get any bubbles from leakage. Might be worth checking the valve using the same process too.

munkster
    Free Member

Turns out it was light corrosion on the rim and near the valve on the inside of the rim. All removed, cleaned up, re-balanced, £15.95. Pretty happy with that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Deflating tyre…’ is closed to new replies.