Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Defence secretary vs Medal of Honour
  • anagallis_arvensis

Its shocking isnt it, I mean people who I used to think of as verging on comedy characters are now in charge of stuff!!!

MrsToast
    Free Member

To be fair, he's right – it is an un-British game. There are no British soldiers in it, even in the sections set in Helmand Province. It's all American forces.

I'd be more inclined to get in a snit about that, tbh.

It's nice to see he's walked straight into's EA's trap, they obviously paid close attention to the Modern Warfare 2 controversy with the airport scene. There's no such thing as bad publicity!

jon1973
    Free Member

As has already been said, any publicity is good publicity. I bet EA are rubbing their hands together as they read about this.

CaptJon
    Free Member

A far more British game would involve Empire and massacres in India.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It is such a laughably Tory thing to do. I do love it when they get like this…it's chuckletastic.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

isn't this yet another case of the Streisand effect??

noteeth
    Free Member

"It's not clear, however, if Fox is aware of the distinction between a narrative-led single-player campaign and a "deathmatch"-style multiplayer mode in which players are able to take on both enemy and allied roles in essentially context-free shootouts. It could be that this distinction is irrelevant to him."

Given the complexity of Afghanistan, I would hope that the SoS for Defence could (at the very least) master a context-free deathmatch-style multiplayer shootout.

At any point in these games do they stop for a brew-up?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It is such a laughably Tory thing to do.

Of course it is. Erm……

cranberry
    Free Member

EA tip off press.
    Press contact Defence Secretary, ask if he thinks playing the part of a taliban and getting points for killing British troops is a good idea.
    "No"
    Press – "what are you going to do about it?"
    "Mleh"
    EA and press get exactly what they want.

The Telegraph has gone right down hill, but you'd expect better than this sub-tabloid shite from the Guardian*.

* depending on your political outlook and desire to see a tory shown up/painted into a corner.

cranberry
    Free Member

EA tip off press.
    Press contact Defence Secretary, ask if he thinks playing the part of a taliban and getting points for killing British troops is a good idea.
    "No"
    Press – "what are you going to do about it?"
    "Mleh"
    EA and press get exactly what they want.

The Telegraph has gone right down hill, but you'd expect better than this sub-tabloid shite from the Guardian*.

* depending on your political outlook and desire to see a tory shown up/painted into a corner.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I disagree, the Guardian has been on a rapid downwards trajectory for years.

Both the Daily Telegraph and The Times are leagues above it. The Guardian is more a reactionary left wing 'ying' to the Daily Mail's reactionary right wing 'yang'.

Back on topic, the story is ridiculous of course and Fox should know better. This sort of lame populist outrage is better left to Labour.

noteeth
    Free Member

rapid downwards trajectory for years

I'm not a diehard Grauniad reader by any means (though I usually buy it on saturdays), but if any paper has gone rapidly downhill, it's The Daily Mailograph

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..you'd expect better than this sub-tabloid shite from the Guardian*.

😕 Confused ……… you are unhappy the Guardian reported the story on their games blog ?

If so, how do you feel about kimbers starting a thread to discuss the story ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm. We used to play cops and robbers, WWII when we were kids. Difference?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Good to see you're doing the bloggers bidding as ever flashy. Still funny though 🙂

kimbers

cranberry and bravohotel erm interview with fox was actually an article in the sunday times (no link as you now have to pay for that paper but it is leagues above the guardian obviously, do you pay for it?)

also reported heavily in the red tops, daily mail, bbc,

your points about the guardian being?
    because right now it just seems like you are getting all upset with them because they reporte dthe story ??

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    cranberry and bravohotel erm interview with fox was actually an article in the sunday times (no link as you now have to pay for that paper but it is leagues above the guardian obviously, do you pay for it?)

I buy the print edition. I read the Guardian at work, however I do not pay for it.

your points about the guardian being?
    because right now it just seems like you are getting all upset with them because they reporte dthe story ??

My point about the Guardian being exactly what I wrote. Can you read?
    I'm not upset about the story appearingin the Sunday Times, the Guardian or any other newspaper. I was expressing my disappointment in Fox getting het up over a video game.

Untwist your panties please princess.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My point about the Guardian being exactly what I wrote. Can you read?

Well I thought that I could read, but perhaps I can't.

cranberry wrote : "you'd expect better than this sub-tabloid shite from the Guardian"

To which bravohotel9er, you responded with : "I disagree, the Guardian has been on a rapid downwards trajectory for years."

So presumably you disagree with cranberry and expect from the Guardian "this sub-tabloid shite".

Which suggests that you have a problem with the article.

Of course I may have got it all wrong on account that I can't read.

kimbers

im the kind of princess that doesnt wear panties

that doesnt mean i bend over and let the rupert murdoch bullsh!t machine roger me every day, unlike some 😉

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Of course I may have got it all wrong on account that I can't read.

Posted 6 minutes ago # Report-Post

Yeah, I'm going with that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah, I'm going with that.

So to sum up…….

I can't read.

You didn't say those things.

And most surprising of all, apparently I can't copy and paste.

Well I'm glad that's all sorted then.

……just leaves me to try and brush up on my reading and copying and pasting.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Well I'm glad that's all sorted then.

……just leaves me to try and brush up on my reading and copying and pasting.

Posted 6 minutes ago # Report-Post

Off you go then.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Off you go then.

I'm working on it.

I am going to religiously read all your posts, and try and see whether I can figure out what you're saying.

How's my copying and pasting going so far btw ?

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Posted 29 minutes ago # Report-Post

Better than your reading.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I'll concentrate on reading your posts then.

I'll check out what you've been posting tomorrow evening.

MrNutt
    Free Member

konabunny
    Free Member

Given the complexity of Afghanistan, I would hope that the SoS for Defence could (at the very least) master a context-free deathmatch-style multiplayer shootout.

Good point, well made.

Pigface
    Free Member

Flashheart come on you are talking about Keith Vaz and everyone knows he is a terminaly sad man.

warton
    Free Member

At the hands of the TalibanBritish army, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands. I am disgusted and angry. It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game. I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."

fixed it for him.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Flashheart come on you are talking about Keith Vaz and everyone knows he is a terminaly sad man

Indeed – I find the way he exploited the family of a murdered teenager to be particularly distasteful.

"The murderer was obsessed with Manhunt! Children are made violent by violent games!"

Except it was the 14-year old victim who owned Manhunt, not his murderer, and the police said that there was no link – it was drugs related. And the killer was nearly 18 – nearly old enough to legally play Manhunt. Unlike his victim…

I can understand the family blindly lashing out and trying to find a scapegoat, but you'd expect…well, would hope that politicians would show a bit more common sense and research stuff a bit more before mouthing off.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I find myself in the strange position of sort of agreeing with a Tory 😯
    There are a variety of odious acts that people can perpetrate in this game and others ,including I assume on behalf of the "good" USA soldiers.

Yes I know if you spend your days/nights shooting civilians , blowing up our brave soldiers or beating up prostitutes, stealing cars and running people over you wont end up a psycho. I would just rather people did something a bit more positive with their free time.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would just rather people did something a bit more positive with their free time.

Why's it negative to play games like this?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you suggesting you cannot do something a bit more positive with free time?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, I'm asking what's negative about it?

BigDummy
    Free Member

walked straight into's EA's trap

Exactly. I'm utterly indifferent to computer games, but politicians commenting on their morality and patriotism is a waste of oxygen. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I never said it was negative I simply said they could do something more positive with their time.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sure. But having a bit of downtime and playing a good computer game is one of life's great pleasures for some, and that's crucially important.

I long to get lost in a computer game for a few hours these days. It's very theraputic on a deeper level than daft aggression-letting-out psychology. Something to do with being completely engrossed in something I think. Like reading a good book or fettling something mechanical, but different in its own way.

Computer games have a very important place in my life.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont really enjoy them and my Playstation fuse has been blown for about 6 mths now and i have not felt the need to fix this.

I am not going to get all ranty about all games stuff being evil or thinking they will turn everyone into a nutter ….that is just stupid. I just think some of the themes and /or actions are not all that great…wont someone think of the children :wink:.
    I doubt I would ban them but I cant see me buying them for my kids either or approving if they play them.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sure, it's not for everyone. But I think a lot of intellectually feeble folk (like the politicians) read far too much into these games and not enough at the same time.

When you play cops and robbers as a kid, do you not also need robbers as well as cops? It's about role-play. You need two sides.

When they do Civil War re-enactments in the US, are all the people who play the Confederates secretly wishing that the South can rise again and topple the govt in DC? No.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Defence secretary vs Medal of Honour’ is closed to new replies.