Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Decent one-night golf break?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve been racking my brains for ages about what to do for my old man’s 70th, and have settled on taking him for a couple of rounds of golf and a few beers.

I’ve seen a Sunday/Monday deal on at a place called North Shore in Skeggy that I know is good – £105 per head.

Does anyone else know of anywhere else that does a similar deal at a similar price with a decent course and hotel?

Ideally within two hours drive of Leicester.

Sorry to bring golf onto the STW forum, but a bit of help would be appreciated!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

How about here?
    Very playable and well maintained courses with good facilities. I’ve been a couple of times. Stayed for a week and enjoyed it both times.

Albanach
    Free Member

From another forum:

Greetham Valley in Rutland. Two very good courses and a brilliant hotel. £85 a head if you stay on the Friday night and you get two rounds of golf, B&B and evening meal for that price.

Ullesthorpe Court, Lutterworth.

Hope this helps if there are any further responses I’ll let you know

Albanach
    Free Member

reinforcing the above:

go to Greetham valley and book yourself in at the wheatsheaf in Greetham or olive branch in clipsham for a meal.

cb

Forest of Arden – good Sunday night prices. Good first course, not so good second. Close to you.
    Belfry – Brabazon over rated IMO but still good if you don’t mind paying over the odds. PGA is a decent second course, Derby is the third and quite poor course. Again, close.
    Marriot Breadsall Priory – same as above.
    Celtic Manor is OK – 2010 course worth the extra cash – play Roman Road rather than Monty – pushing your two hour limit though.

Albanach
    Free Member

More suggestions from other forum:

My parents run the hotel, so I am biased, but you will be treated well, the food is great and it’s right on the golf course (ask any of th guys who were at the Woodhall spa meet earlier this year). Plus, the Hotchkin is a wonderful course.

There is also Karsten Lakes in Gainsborough. This deal is ridiculous: http://www.gainsboroughgc.co.uk/down…%20website.pdf

Does it have to be north? 2 hrs south (and west a bit) but i can easy do leics in under 2 hrs, donnington grove are doing 1 night, 2 rounds for 99 quid…

http://www.donnington-grove.com/page…al-Offers.html

Donnington valley also do the same deal with dinner thrown in and free spa (ps the food is pretty awesome there)

http://www.donningtonvalley.co.uk/golf_breaks_ind.asp

Am not affiliated to either course, but have played both a lot, don grove is better IMHO, but you do need a buggy. It’s a blooming long walk! (not course yards, but you have to cross a dual carriage way between the 1st and then back over after the 8th… It did host a European or uk tournament a few years back, don valley is a really nice tricky course, more a 3 wood off the tee! Lol both are normally £30-40 a round mid week and the hotel is normally 100 ish per night, so pretty good value! The hotel at donning ton valley is better, as is the food..

ChrisA
    Free Member

Depends if you want cheap or quality and how well you play really?

Off the top of my head:

Lincolnshire – seacroft / Woodhall spa / forest pines
    North Notts – Sherwood forest (My home club) / hollinwell / coxmoor / lindrick / Worksop
    Norfolk – royal Norfolk / hunstanton / etc
    Derbyshire – Branston
    Warwick – the warwickshire / forest of Arden
    Surrey / Berks would be quality – Woking / Worplesden / west hill / the Berkshire / sunningdale / etc

There are always places like the Belfry / Breadsall priory. Personally I wouldn’t ‘t choose breads all priory but I understand why people do.

Have a look on golf breaks, they do weekend specials. ‘Marriot Golf’ is ok, but they are heavy trafficed and for a little bit extra, some of the clubs above are awsome in comparison

dannyh
    Free Member

Cheers for all the suggestions, I’ve settled on Forest Pines near Scunny for a Sunday-Monday break.

My brother-in-law is a golf pro and he really rates it – although he did say my golf game would sound like a woodpecker around all the trees!

330 yards off the tee, no problem – oh, you’ve got to hit it down that mown bit?

cbike
    Free Member

Stay with my folks – http://www.balmillig.co.uk

And the Play at The Carrick :- Stunningly situated parkland course overlooking Loch Lomond. Spa and state of the art clubhouse and practice facilities. Normal summer rate greenfees £125, Balmillig guests pay only £35!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Decent one-night golf break?’ is closed to new replies.