Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Decent (but reasonable price) tyres for the Alps.
  • rockhopper70

I need some views on tyres to fit for a four day trip to Morzine so the riding will be downhill (not crazy) with a little bit of trail. As such, I don't want out and out downhill tyres but they need to be good and minimise the chance of punctures. Currently running Continetal Vertical 2.3 at £10 an end and they seem OK if not a bit hard so slippery on rocks roots etc. I have read that the Minnion/Hi-Roller 2.35 combo should be OK and with Chain Reaction selling these at less that £20, are they the ones to go for? Anyone seen any other decent bargain tyres to use just for this trip? When I come home it's back to the hills of Hebden Bridge so back to "normal" trail tyres.

Northwest Mountainbike centre in cheadle were selling off 2.3 and 2.5 specialized chunders for £10 each. Decent tyres, quite heavy, thick sidewalls. Bargain.

smeg
    Free Member

If you're going for single Ply tyres then def worth putting downhill specific tubes in, last thing you want is to be fixing punctures. Used dual ply 2.35 HR (ST42a on the front) last year in Les Arcs and grip was fine. Will use the same set-up again this year.

rockhopper70

Cheers smeg…also wondering about the "ghetto tubeless" set-up to avoid possible punctures. Would need to test it our in UK first tho.

rockhopper70

any sunday night suggestions please…still trawling the internet for cheepies for this 3 day blitz…..

Del

take a look at the maxxis 'freeride' tubes. they're half way between xc and dh in thickness. i wouldn't bother fitting them until you need one ( ie you actually have a puncture ), but if you're fitting tyres anyway i guess you may as well throw them in there.
    TBH i wouldn't change things drastically from your usual setup. if you've chosen your components etc. for reliability then there's no real need. you're not going to turn into a 'rad to the power of gnar' rider, who's going to be significantly harder on kit, just because you bought a plane ticket. 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Seems pointless using single ply tires with DH tubes.

You may aswell use dual ply tires with standard tubes. Maxxis H/R are usually alrite in some form of soft compound

GeForceJunky

Don't run single ply tyres and don't run ghetto tubeless. In around 5 months of alpine riding over the last 4 years I never seen either be anything other than a right pain in the arse.

juan
    Free Member

A pair of Minion both front a hard one for the back and a super tacky for the front

tinsy
    Free Member

This might be suitable. Looking for the same thing myself, but something light enough for my normal UK lop too. However if CRC have single ply high rollers at sub £20 I think I will opt for those.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/clutch-sx-tyre-ec019594?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

tinsy
    Free Member

OK, I got a high roller question, looking at 2.35's as I mentioned I want them for use in the UK too, now the super tacky, is the rubber so soft it wont dig into the earth if we get any rain in the Alps?

Should I just get the 60a wire beads as a best of both worlds? Or is it a bit jack of all trades master of none..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Single ply are pointless really. I use them for xc stuff but run the rear at about 45 psi to avoid punctures.

If your in the alps riding some of the downhills you'll want to be running pretty low pressures, in which case you'll get loads of punctures using single plys

stevomcd
    Free Member

is the rubber so soft it wont dig into the earth if we get any rain in the Alps?

If it rains, the earth gets softer…? Not sure I understand the question.

I run 2.5" Super-tacky Hi-Roller on the front, 2.5" 60a Minion on the rear, both UST. A truly awesome set of treads, if a lot to drag around.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Used a Maxxis 2.5" Minion Dual Ply Super Tacky on the front last year in Morzine – outstanding tyre, didn's miss a beat all week. Worth the money.

tinsy
    Free Member

is the rubber so soft it wont dig into the earth if we get any rain in the Alps?

If it rains, the earth gets softer…? Not sure I understand the question.

I run 2.5" Super-tacky Hi-Roller on the front, 2.5" 60a Minion on the rear, both UST. A truly awesome set of treads, if a lot to drag around.

I used to race MX, I know its not the same, but super soft compound grippy in the dry tyres were awful in the wet, yes if the ground is consistently soft and loamy they would dig and be fine, if it was wet on top of hard ground they were dire as they dont have the stiffness in the knobs to dig for grip.

I love a tyre change, so am going for the single ply super tacky's, as I didnt experience too much trouble in the past with single ply and dont want the wieght of duals. Also going to take my Swampthings in case it rains. Pretty sure I am covered with that combo.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Fair enough, never been an MXer!

Can't really comment on wet/muddy conditions as it hardly ever rains here in the summer! (unlike Morzine 😉 )

tinsy
    Free Member

First year in Les Gets it had rained heavy the night before and morning of our arrival, it dried fast but decent tyres were a must to get riding and enjoy it on the first day.. I dont want to get caught out, its a long way to go for a poor tyre choice to spoil. Def going to take both dry and wet tyres.

Is it your chalet stevomcd?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Is it your chalet stevomcd?

My business, we can't afford to buy the chalet unfortunately! (Anyone got a spare €1,000,000?)

allthegearandnoidea
    Free Member

Dual ply high rollers 2.35 at the mega in 07, normal tubes no punctures.

Dual ply high roller 2.5 UST at the mega 08, two punctures!!! Don't do tubeless in the alps!!! (From my experience)

stevomcd
    Free Member

Dual ply high roller 2.5 UST at the mega 08, two punctures!!!

Dual-ply UST High-Rollers / Minions, an entire season guiding in the Alps, no punctures…. just my experience!

grumm
    Free Member

Dual ply high roller 2.5 UST at the mega 08, two punctures!!! Don't do tubeless in the alps!!! (From my experience)

I had a UST 2.5 Dual Ply High Roller ghetto tubelessed on a 719 rim on for the Mega – was pretty much the only person in our group who didn't get a puncture all week.

juan
    Free Member

The tube/tubeless is a pointless debate in my opinion. None of us use tubless in our group just some maxxis dual ply tyres.
    Don't worry about using super tacky when it's wet, you'll be fine.
    If you're light and smooth (or you care about your bike) you'll be fine with some LUST tyres.

rockhopper70

lots of advice here but the general theme I'm guessing is use inner tubes, not ghetto and hi-rollers are the choice.
    This trip is getting expensive :?.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Dual ply, super tacky front, harder compound on the back, 2.35 or 2.5 with normal tubes and you will be fine. Would not bother with normal ply and DH tubes.
    Phil

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

ive just bought some 2.35 minions 42a fr and 60a rr 24£ each

bargain with tubes!

i ride only dh/ fast single track and i will hopefully fit them this morning 😉 will report back and this is in the alps too. but be warned where we are its rained for the last 2 weeks!

tinsy
    Free Member

I am glad you asked the question rockhopper, all the biggest advocates are of dual ply, for me that will make it expensive as I will only ever use them in the Alps… I borrowed a set to try out and they are absolutely of no use whatsoever for riding your bike in the UK unless all you do is uplift days.

I guess someone will be along to tell us they ride em all day for XC in a bit!!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Dual ply may be expensive if only used on holiday, but surely being able to enjoy your time riding rather than constantly fixing punctures is worth it? You can always use them next year too! And the next…

tinsy
    Free Member

Bagstard of course you have a valid point..

Del

ran 2.35 kenda nevegal and blue groove ( 11 quid wire bead ones from wooly hat shop ) in morzine for a week, with xc tubes, on a hardtail. i was towards the front of our group, not that that's any real measure i guess, but i punctured once ( right at the top of 'puncture alley', if anyone knows it ) only on the last day, after about 50km that day. FWIW. YMMV. etc.

rockhopper70

sound advice from all and I appreciate all your views…bit of a curve ball to throw in but how would continental 2.2 rubber queen, basic version, wire etc or continental diesel fair. I am mindfull that I aren't going to be suddenly nailing mega drops etc as I don't do this in hebden bridge so are tyres really going to make or break my trip????? Again, over to you guys!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Decent (but reasonable price) tyres for the Alps.’ is closed to new replies.