Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Decathlon Down Jackets – Any Good?
  • spawnofyorkshire

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/14/winter-coat-ethically-produced-down-goose-feathers

Interesting grauniad article on ethics of down sourcing. Looks like a few big names were caught unawares and have changed their sourcing. Having looked at the ethical consumer report on decathlon for their down their policy looks a little bit meh, but not horrendous

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

because instead of making a lazy link to an irrelevant video, implying that Decathlon used unethical down, I actually looked up their policy.

I haven’t accused Decathlon of anything. If you’re happy that they are fully in control of their supply chain, then that’s fine and dandy. If you’re happy in the knowledge that your down came from geese raised on an industrial scale primarily for their meat, then you go for it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

since the ethics question has already been raised, i’ll go for the practicality question:

why down?

if you’re not going to take advantage of it’s packability, and carry it up a cold (and so dry) mountain, it’s largely pointless, especially here where it’s likely to get wet.

bigjim

I need a new insulated jacket but I doubt there’s any chance those ducks have had anything but a horrendous life, what are their synthetic ones like?

eg https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-100-rain-mens-waterproof-insulated-jacket-blue-id_8343501.html

I’m a Haglofs shape sadly, the picture looks a bit short in the body in the rab style.

whitestone
    Free Member

@awhiles It’s been a while since I looked a synthetic jacket but certainly the earlier ones didn’t fit particularly well since the insulation was basically sheets of material.

Quality down lasts much longer than synthetic though things are improving but the difference is still significant. The insulation in synthetic garments breaks down much quicker than down escapes.

The dampness bit is largely irrelevant as you are only going to be wearing a duvet close to or below freezing. The material used in down jackets tends to be moisture resistant, it certainly isn’t going to handle a thunderstorm but a short light shower won’t have much impact. Also hydrophobic down is common in higher end garments and sleeping bags, this isn’t so much for weather resistance but dealing with the moisture in the user’s perspiration and respiration.

vondally
    Free Member

I have several down coats from PhD to decathlon, the decathlon one is with me in Japan and has survived two seasons of hard wearing.

a better bet though for UK weather is their synthetic Simond range, I got one in the sale and it is as warm as 70% of my down jackets.

Sizing is weird so can vary from large to do to xxl.

Decathlon is very good some things are shonky others truly sublime.

Edit do not discount synthetic and if you are prepared to pay synthetic down mix……down and rain or down and sweat no matter what coating does not work

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’ve owned one of their synthetic ‘down’ jackets and while it was warm enough, wearing it made me realise that ‘breathability’ of the fabric is important.

If you do start to cook up, it can get pretty uncomfortable…and wet.

I prefer to wear a fleece and carry a windproof jacket in the pocket.

angeldust
    Free Member

@awhiles It’s been a while since I looked a synthetic jacket but certainly the earlier ones didn’t fit particularly well since the insulation was basically sheets of material.

This hasn’t been the case for the last 15 years at least, if ever. Sure it wasn’t just the particular jacket you were looking at?

ahwiles
    Free Member

no no, don’t question it.

We definitely need down jackets to walk a few miles in 7degrees…

(anything less won’t fit properly, or adequately insulate us against the arctic temperatures)

MajorMantra
    Free Member

I’ve got the Quechua X-Light jacket in both Mk1 and Mk2 variants and I like them very much. They look a lot more expensive than they are and they stow away in a small bag, so are ideal for travel.

Limitations I would note are:

1. They’re warm, but not sub-zero warm, especially if there’s an Arctic wind blowing. For general UK use when it’s 5-15 degrees C, they’re grand.

2. They’re not waterproof (and they don’t pretend to be). Showers are fine though.

andy8442
    Free Member

I’ve got the very light weight one and it’s the dogs, well for £27 it is. For anything heavier I go Alpkit.

irc

Watch out for the cheapest lightweight Decathlon down jackets. They are not full down – sleeves are some other filling. May not matter for warmth but will mean they don’t pack as small. This one ..

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/x-light-mens-down-jacket-blue-id_8317718.html

In general I’m a fan of these superlight down jackets though. As well as using them for general use I use one for camping/bothying. Doubles as a jacket around camp and a pillow in it’s stuff sac.

Last one I got was on clearance at B and Q for £15. Looks equal quality to Decatlon, Go Outdoors. In fact the week I’d got I been in Go Outdoors but wasn’t happy with the fit of their ones (for me.)

hammyuk
    Free Member

irc – that one does actually tell you its a hybrid so they aren’t making out its full down.

footflaps

Watch out for the cheapest lightweight Decathlon down jackets. They are not full down – sleeves are some other filling. May not matter for warmth but will mean they don’t pack as small. This one ..

Just came home to find the Wife had bought one, very impressive for £29.

PMK2060

How do they size up? A couple of the comments on the decathlon website state that they size up small.

hammyuk
    Free Member

They are a slim fit usually and do come up smaller than you would expect.
    Thats more to do with the Euro sizing though rather than UK “of course you’re a medium/size 12” fat f*cker sizing.

CountZero

This. Remember, for pub beer garden attire this time of year the discerning STW’er shouldn’t get out of his A4 Avant S-Line in anything less than some little known but reassuringly expensive Scandinavian boutique brands. Flårnyaårven, Jürnenføfflj, Guünnhjhærgnör…etc.

Don’t forget Jottnar… 😉
    Actually, they’re Welsh…

ahwiles – Member
    no no, don’t question it.

We definitely need down jackets to walk a few miles in 7degrees…

(anything less won’t fit properly, or adequately insulate us against the arctic temperatures)
    🙄

footflaps

Remember, for pub beer garden attire this time of year the discerning STW’er shouldn’t get out of his A4 Avant S-Line in anything less than some little known but reassuringly expensive Scandinavian boutique brands. Flårnyaårven, Jürnenføfflj, Guünnhjhærgnör…etc.

My current down jacket is a Black Diamond down / Primaloft hybrid, a snip at £260 RRP (although I paid under half that).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Did it come in a nice colour or is that why it was half price ? 😀

hammyuk
    Free Member

The fact someone was pissed when they stitched it together :mrgreen:

natrix
    Free Member

How do they size up?

If you can, try them on. I’m generally an ‘L’ but at Aldi I’m ‘M’ and at Decathlon I’m ‘XL’. I’ve got one of their lightweight down jackets and get on really well with it in the UK, but for winter in Alaska I took my big Helly Hensen one, it got down to minus 50!! 😯

scandal42
    Free Member

Very good quality for the money. Just got the x-lite 2 after the original one providing 2 years of regular use with zero defects or wear issues.

Cannot be beat for the money.

Shandy
    Free Member

They are very good. I had one that cost me €60 and lasted about 10 years before the zip went.

PMK2060

I think I will go and try one on. I am a large in DHB and Howies Jackets/Gilets but I have only ever bought base layers from Decathlon.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nice one petec, I thought Decathlon would be very careful! Bad ethics can kill an outdoors company pretty quickly

Really. Canada Goose seem to do okay 🙄

footflaps

Did it come in a nice colour or is that why it was half price ?

I’m a sucker for a sale, hence most of my outdoor gear is in random bright colours!

trail_rat
    Free Member

feathers from a chinese meat goose.

is that a bit like leather from a cow ?

spawnofyorkshire

is that a bit like leather from a cow ?

Depends if the cow is alive when it’s skinned

trail_rat
    Free Member

is that a hysteria post ? have you read the thread or decathlons website ?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

is that a hysteria post ? have you read the thread or decathlons website ?

Have you read only the Decathlon website?
    This is from July 2016, so pretty up to date.

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/companystories.aspx?CompanyId=79672&CategoryId=341

Whilst Decathlon and their customers may be satisfied their sources are ethical by a few “certificates” other manufacturers are going the extra mile to be as certain as possible, Fjallraven and North Face particularly, so not cheap though. I’ll try and find a link.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Bought this for £32 (20% of sale code) the other day and had an ethical down tag fwiw

http://www.dare2b.com/downtime-down-jacket-trek-green-0-16.html

Superficial
    Free Member

I bloody love my Decathlon x light jacket. I bought it with the intention of wearing it before/after rides – ie a cheap jacket that I didn’t care about it getting dirty. However, I love it so much and I spent most of last winter in it – wearing to work, out and about, walking, and i wore it pretty much all the time I wasn’t riding this summer in the alps.

I have a decent synthetic jacket (montane prism) which is probably better for being active but it’s nowhere near as snugly and warm on cold days.

The one thing I will say about the decathlon is that the cut is a bit odd for me. It’s perfectly comfortable/functional but it looks a bit weird, tight under ribs but kinda flared out in the hips. I’m probably going to buy a posh down jacket which looks better and might last longer, while keeping the decathlon one for its original intended purpose – knocking around in, getting muddy etc.

RustySpanner

You gits.

Just popped in to try the lids – very,very decent for £27.99 but didn’t fit.

So to I bought a jacket, couple of pairs of fleecy trousers, an orange fleece, a nice grey check shirt from the hunting section, some water bottles and some tubes.

Also got a 700 cycling jacket in the sale for £14 and they replaced my old fleece gilet (pockets worn out) with a brand new one.

Mrs S bought an x-light down jacket, as it seems did everyone else in the shop.
    🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Decathlon Down Jackets – Any Good?’ is closed to new replies.