Death by dangerous driving – a drivers perspective

Home Forum Chat Forum Death by dangerous driving – a drivers perspective

Viewing 3 posts - 91 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Death by dangerous driving – a drivers perspective
  • I’m all for restorative justice but I don’t see what point victim impact statements achieve bar letting those close to victims have their day in court.

Well its a bit like this thread with TJ’s initial post, i.e. you are only hearing one side of the story, and by its very nature that is always going to be looking to mitigate the outcome for the defendant. So hearing an impact statement from the victim just evens the balance up a bit, by pointing out that there are two sides to every story.

Besides that surely the notion of justice requires the vicitim to have some part in the process however small otherwise how is it justice? I know how I felt when a guy who assaulted me decided to plead guilty. As I wasn’t required as a witness, I was effectively excluded from the case totally, in fact the first I knew about it was when the outcome was reported in the local paper. All I wanted from the process was some sort of closure, what I actually got was an overwhelming feeling that I’d been mugged a second time.

Besides that surely the notion of justice requires the vicitim to have some part in the process however small otherwise how is it justice?

I would think that almost certainly adds to injustice. Justice should be impartial and cold in its reasoning.

Justice should be impartial and cold in its reasoning.

A complete aside to the main point. However, whenever did I suggest anything else? All I was suggesting was that the emotional pleas of the defendant would be best counterbalanced by an impact statement, otherwise the process is self evidently unbalanced. I’m definately not suggestign that the victim judge the case or decide the penalty. However, how can it be justice if the victim has no opportunity to have any input at all? Rather like your initial post which is givng a great deal of emotional weight to the killers position but is light on facts and is unbalanced in respect of the impact on the victim and their family.

Viewing 3 posts - 91 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Death by dangerous driving – a drivers perspective’ is closed to new replies.