Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dear hive mind, anyone know how to fix tellies?
  • richmtb

Hi Folks

My old Sharp LCD has developed a fault

See pics, basically the bottom 10% of the screen is a repeat of the top.

So anyone know anything about LCD panels

Is it ****?

Ta

Rich

davidjones15
    Free Member

can you not just lift the tv a couple of inches?
    no, you are right. i know bugger all about televisions.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Yeah easy fix that, gaffer tape across bottom 2 inch should sort it

Guffaw :-))

seosamh77
    Free Member

kick it. what i would do, it would surprise ye how many times a good wallop can sound out electronic good! 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

It doesn’t like your tv programme choice 🙂

Looks to me like part of the signal decoding is going wrong. Don’t know enough to fix it, but I suspect it’d be cheaper to replace whole boards inside than track down the error. Which may or may not be more expensive than buying a new tv.

Klunk
    Free Member

what happens when you change the aspect ratio ?

dobo
    Free Member

we did work on crts when i learnt digital electronics and fixed some faults, hmm that pic looks familiar.

i actualy dont even know if crt tech is same as lcd for the frame side of things but on crt they used to be a frame chip that commonly caused issues like in the pic and sometimes some capacitors around it used to go out of tollerance and were visably defective. sometimes it was just the solder joints around the capacitors causing the issues.

i would do exactly what seo says and hit it and see if the picture changes or momentarily returns, if it does, its most likley a dry solder joint somehwere.

not much help i guess but be warned that tvs can hold charges and give you a decent shock even when powered off, when on they can kill you.

redthunder
    Free Member

AV FORUMS

codybrennan
    Free Member

Back in the old days, a dodgy vertical hold would have caused something like that.

Of course, LCDs don’t have any way to adjust this.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Just get hold of 2x two inch high strips of mirror, the same width as your screen. Fix one to the bottom, at a 45 degree angle to the screen, and one just above the screen, at a 45 degree angle towards yourself. Instant periscope, problem solved!

pearlbaz
    Free Member

Make sure the settings in the AV Setup menu are set to auto. It may be trying to display SD in HD mode or something like that.

singletrackmind

Switch it off and back on again , with conviction.
    IGMC

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Just get hold of 2x two inch high strips of mirror, the same width as your screen. Fix one to the bottom, at a 45 degree angle to the screen, and one just above the screen, at a 45 degree angle towards yourself. Instant periscope, problem solved!

The only thing worth trying IMO.

Taff
    Free Member

My mate had something similar on his. There was a circuit board connection on the inside that broke so when it got hot the picture went similar. Being a crack handed at DIY he thought it easier to buy a fan to cool the tv down – job done!

CountZero

My old Sharp LCD has developed a fault

Mend it with a new one?

richmtb

Cheers for the answers.

To be fair I’ve already mended it with a new Samsung 🙂

Just wondered if anyone knew if it was economical to fix before it goes to the recycling centre. It was a good TV, shame to bin it.

glupton1976
    Free Member

smash the lcd, get the missus pissed and make her think that someone has spiked her drink with lsd.

Cougar

There’s an LCD / LSD joke in there somewhere.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dear hive mind, anyone know how to fix tellies?’ is closed to new replies.