• This topic has 40 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Si.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Dartmoor ‘B’ team superly splendid day out and beaming briefly to Peru (pics)
  • Shinythings
    Free Member

The ‘A’ team were all away, so the dregs were left to amuse themselves.
    Now just about managing to stay awake after the 2nd epic of the weekend. Today’s, a gentle 8hr jolly over the moor. Yesterday’s a day of mahoosive climbs and ‘off piste’ scary stuff in the Teign valley.
    Superb trails, some just the right side of scary, perfect weather, Cream tea, awesome scenery, large rocks, some unusual routes along some great techy natural stuff and ending in a bone dry and very fast Combe hill.
    Not sure how many miles we did, but we did end up having Tea in 3 different places, so must have been an epic.
    Now saddle sore, aching, and reclining on the sofa with an air of smug satisfaction replete with an extremely large Whisky and Coke 😀

http://aol.pixum.co.uk/slide/4295310

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

some scary rocks alright – enjoyed that

knottie8
    Free Member

looks like a great day out …

Shinythings
    Free Member

Oh, believe me, I was scared!
    Ended up doing a few sections over the two days that were well outside my normal comfort zone/ability.

This weather makes all the difference, eh?

sharki
    Free Member

Looks positively boring, Si looks bored to.

‘stids!

Shinythings
    Free Member

Sharki,
    Get ready for some ‘man on man’ bivvy action. Si and me have got some brill wild spots waiting for when you’re mended.

Had two bloody good days with him this wknd, just wish I was 20yrs younger and could keep up with him!
    Mind you, I reckon he was just as knackered as me when we got back 😆

stumpytrek
    Free Member

That looks fantastic.

Where was that last shot (trail in woods next to a river) taken?

Shinythings
    Free Member

Between Badgers holt and Babeny. A bit disjointed,but great fun and prob 90% rideable.

Si
    Free Member

I can confirm I am deffinately knackered.

50KM that was today and some damn big pushes and descents. Cwmdown at the end of the day is just awesome. And I want my full sus sorted now too.

And Jim you were there or thereabouts all the way…

Shinythings
    Free Member

Yeah, good one that Si, cheers. Reckon that’ll give the others a surprise if we can get them out on it 🙂

I’ll work out what we did yesterday too.

Still buzzing and awake. Feel like I’ve ‘earnt it’.

Few more search and destroy (us) missions like that would be good and some bivvies too.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Wow – that looks great. I’ve just been looking at the general area on the OS maps. Can’t wait to get out on those trails in September (after July and August in Peru) so those Llamas will make me feel at home 🙂

BTW – what village is Combe Hill near? I can’t find it on my map.

Cheers

Si

slugwash
    Free Member

Looks like you guys had a great time out on the moors whilst I was chained to the greenhouse (our garden’s looking good though!)

Great photos Jim, but I think that you should start pasting them into the forum instead of doing a link to them ‘cos there’s not too many of them. It makes the thread look better.

It seems that Si dosen’t only destroy the environment with his anarchic mountain bike drop-offs 😉 He also makes an effort to repair it. What an outstanding young chap! Photo evidence below…..

jam-bo

bastards – i spent twelve hours in a van yesterday driving to preston and back.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Slugwash, You been enjoying your 4 tons of hardcore? (make of that what you will!).
    Didn’t realise I was riding with a local celebrity! He’ll open your garden for a tenner.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Simon, Combe down is below Canna park which is 2m from Jays Grave. Quite near Easdon tor

simonralli2
    Free Member

Shinything

Cheers, Can’t find Canna Park but I’ve located Combe Down, jay’s Grave and Easdon Tor. It’s probably a car drive for me to get there but not too far from Dartington which is great. I just need to hope for an Indian Summer now 🙂

Shinythings
    Free Member

20mins from Dartington to Hound Tor CP and Tea wagon

simonralli2
    Free Member

Excellent – can’t wait to get there! I’ve just put the North Dartmoor and South Dartmoor maps together and yeah, it’s not that far at all huh?

hitman
    Free Member

its funny I used to live down that way for a bit and used to get out quite a few weekends on dartmoor and only saw other mountain bikers once! Since I’ve moved I’ve seen regular posts about dartmoor from you guys and recognise quite a few of your pics – is that the stepping stones near postbridge?
    great pics by the way , cheers for posting

Si
    Free Member

Well I like to use my profile to do what I can!

They were the first 2 of 15,500 grasses ive been working to plant on some restored sand dunes. Only another 6,500 to go in next weekend.

SweetJumps
    Free Member

I don’t belive it, did Si say he wanted a full susser after all those comment he made when we were down.
    Jim, it all looks good, where are we going to bivvi and is there a pub nearby?
    Badger and I will have to work on the others to arrange a date to come down with Pikey soon.
    When do you guys want to do the Clevedon Epic, give us some dates and we will try and organise it this end.

sharki
    Free Member

Si has got a full susser..

Shinythings
    Free Member

You sure he wasn’t taking the Mick out of your Faberge egg with wheels?! 😆

Yep, Pub nearby and at the bottom of one those rocky descents is the best Creamtea on the moor!

Si and Slugwash are up for Clevedon, just a matter of when, and the next bivvy is probably when Sharki above is fit and Slugwash has finished his ‘Grand designs’ garden. Gonna try and get Del and Dave out this time too.
    Might bivvy up high on one of the Tors this time 😯

xc-steve
    Free Member

http://aol.pixum.co.uk/image/amNtb2JpbGVwY0AyNzE3Njk3NDVAMkAyMDA0MDEwMTA0MDkwNUA%3D.jpg

This place looks mental where about on Dartmoor is it? Coordinates? Of course if its secret I understand!

richc
    Free Member

if its where I think it is its only about 100M long.

Did you drop off that rock? or did you manage to roll it?

neilforrow

That is Belever, north east (ish) of princtown… rode it for the first time eailer this year… it is proper bo. but short, and a long way from anything else…

worth a trip…

trailmonkey

This place looks mental where about on Dartmoor is it? Coordinates? Of course if its secret I understand!

It’s the little section of BW that runs east/west at SX647764

You can always mince down it like this, if hucking’s not your thing.

sharki
    Free Member

Rich, the image appears to be broken, but if it the rock on belever (i believe the locals call that rock ‘the settee/sofa/bench)si would of dropped it for sure, i do if i’m feeling stoopid, there’s a vid somewhere of me hitting it all a bit quick…it’s not really the size of the step down but the landing options beyond it, but speed is needed for the middle line, some prefer the ambient bimble down the right side, and others career off down the left and take off into the trees somewhere…..

It’s all a good giggle and just about warrants the ride out there..
    I should be up for bivvi rides in a couple weeks, though i’ll be leaving the gnarl to the others till, my confidence returns..

Shinythings
    Free Member

Yes, Si was in a jumpy mood so he did the Bellever rock garden 4 times and found a new line.

xc-steve, OL28 648765

I should be up for bivvi rides in a couple weeks, though i’ll be leaving the gnarl to the others till, my confidence returns..

Gnarly!! Wouldn’t worry about that, half the bivvy boys won’t be rock jumping. Nearest I got to gnarly was nearly pooping myself on Combe, nearly falling in the river and being suckered into a ‘no way to stop with 3ft drop at the end’ section on our new ‘Danger Hill!'(which I might add, Si, did a forward tuck and roll on :D)

Seriously tho, let us know when you’re safe to sleep outside and we’ll get a posse together.

SweetJumps
    Free Member

Pooping??? You didn’t drop your guts on another ride in Dartmoor did you, at this rate the whole National Park will be covered in your dump.

sharki
    Free Member

i’m safe to sleep outside now……but are you lot safe with me……..?

butter side up!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Bellever looks like quite near to Dartington. Am putting together little local loops in my head as we speak now I have those co-ordinates 🙂

jam-bo

bellever is a long way and a lot of climbing from dartington….

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah right – will go back and double check!

Shinythings
    Free Member

Wouldn’t fancy Dington (when you’re a local, you’ll start calling it that) as a start point 😯

Your local start points are probably gonna be, Shipley bridge (Didworthy), Hound Tor, Bittaford and Dartmeet/Princetown road from Ashburton

simonralli2
    Free Member

Must be wishful thinking on my behalf shrinking distances then – oh well – am sure there is plenty near me for when i dont want to drive before riding.

trailmonkey

Lots of local stuff for you but you’ll soon find out why it’s worth the 15 min car journey up top.

Si
    Free Member

The ride out to Bellever has just got a whole lot interestin hasn’t it Jim…

Would say it more than warrants the big ride out now.

Shinythings
    Free Member

OH,Yes!
    Funnily enough I’ve been looking for a different approach to avoid that push. Have a look at Ponsworthy then going off the Dartmeet road to get up it from the other side? Might be worth a shot, but whatever we do we have to face a mahoosive climb, tho the pay off is worth it I reckon.

SweetJumps
    Free Member

Oh Jimbo, we have a treat in store for you now at your old home, (before you moved away to play with your new friends). Ask Billy aboot “Hobbits Hole”. I’ve got Mr Puckle onto sorting out dates he can escape the ball, chain and kids.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor ‘B’ team superly splendid day out and beaming briefly to Peru (pics)’ is closed to new replies.